New saw and splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped it off at the dealer this morning, went over the starting procedure I used, he went in the back, came out about 10 minutes later and said "whatever it is, its not good, you have zero compression"....

I am glad I don't have to rely on my equipment for a life or death situation. I buy top of the line equipment, am not hard on it and maintain it properly and seem to be having a lot of problems lately as well. My 562 recoil fell apart the first time out. I hope they treat you right.

is the decomp sticking

Good question. It hasn't come up with my starting attempts, but I haven't heard it sputter at all, so I guess I wouldn't have expected it to pop up. Hope to hear from the dealer after lunch.

That seems to be a reoccurring problem, the first year a new saw comes out, they have the consumer do the testing.
Hope they treat you right & find the problem & fix it so it lasts many years.
The Specs describe a really nice saw, BUT.............................. ?

Another problem is the dealers don't have allot of experience with it.
How about they give you a new one, sent the old one back to the factory. Then you can test another new one for them ;)

Reactions: Thistle
Just talked with the dealer. Looks like a lean seizure. Said the gas/oil mix looked a little light, but I know its right, I use Stihl Ultra synthetic individual bottles and mix in a one gallon can. Without me asking, he called Husqvarna and told them I didn't want this saw back and they approved a replacement. So, we'll give it another try...

You mix is good, so it's got to be a failure of the autotune. Lots of guys running this saw and the 555 version on AS, and this is the first I've seen of this kind of failure. Sounds like their making it "right". Keep us posted on how things are going with the new one.

Wish I could afford a new saw every other week. LOL :)

Glad they are making it right.
Good post with good results with a good saw manufacturer. :)

Reactions: Thistle
The dealer fought for me, but it doesn't sound like there was too much push back from Husqvarna. Officially, the warranty would pay to repair the damage, new piston etc, but believing that the problem was caused by the carb, he wanted to replace that as well, and coupe other small things, which pushed the repairs over some cost threshold. Husqvarna agreed, with the only requirement being that they use the same bar and chain. Which is fine by me. The dealer sharpened the chain it for me while the saw was there!

The dealer is Newtown Power Equipment in Newtown, CT in case anyone is interested.

Unfortunately, I will probably not get to run the new saw until Friday or Saturday :-(

I'm thinking you found a very good dealer. Nice to hear you're being treated right by Husky & your dealer.I may yet buy a Husky sometime in this life. LOL A C

I'm thinking you found a very good dealer. Nice to hear you're being treated right by Husky & your dealer.I may yet buy a Husky sometime in this life. LOL A C
Don't do it or you'll be selling your Stihls:)

Don't do it or you'll be selling your Stihls:)

Hahaha, that's funny. I've got nothing against Husky saws at all, just that here, the Stihl dealer has the parts & very good service. I'm still looking for a couple of Husky's though, 395XP being the first on my list. A C

I did get everything cut up today. That one big piece was a pain in the you know what. I started by standing on top of it and noodling down the side. Once that got uncomfortable, I looked for a new plan. I ended up using my Milwaukee Model 40 (4 ton high light floor jack) to lift it high enough to tip it up on edge. Luckily it was on a small ~8" diameter branch,so I could get the jack under the edge. I couldn't lift it from that low down, even with the 60" cant hook. Once on edge, I started noodling it, cut it into 5 wedges, then had to cut each wedge to length. Between cutting and moving it around, took me an hour to do that one piece!

So I have run ~3 tanks of fuel through the new saw, no problems yet. Just for piece of mind, I mixed up a new tank of mixed fuel, 89 octane and stihl ultra, before I started. I also ran into a rock embedded in the side of a log and killed my chain. Got to my local store (not the dealer where I purchased the saw) just before closing and picked up a new one, still husqvarna brand, but not safety chain this time! Worked great for noodling that big piece where the 20" bar was fully buried in it most of the time.

3 tanks of gas & one chain to cut up that one big piece ? LOL
Glad the 2nd new saw is working. Keep us posted.

The safety chains have their place but for cutting fire wood, full chisel:
Stihl 33RS or the Oregon/Husq 72 LGX/H47 cut faster
(Oregon makes Husq chains & many times they're cheaper)
I found Stihl 33RS for my 20" cheaper than Oregon or Husq last winter. Some here say Stihl stay sharp longer, (not in rocks though) so I'm trying a couple
Some PN references for your chain.

sawchain.jpg

3 tanks of gas & one chain to cut up that one big piece ? LOL
Glad the 2nd new saw is working. Keep us posted.

The safety chains have their place but for cutting fire wood, full chisel:
Stihl 33RS or the Oregon/Husq 72 LGX/H47 cut faster
(Oregon makes Husq chains & many times they're cheaper)
I found Stihl 33RS for my 20" cheaper than Oregon or Husq last winter. Some here say Stihl stay sharp longer, (not in rocks though) so I'm trying a couple
Some PN references for your chain.

View attachment 69169

The 3 tanks were for all the remaining cutting I had to do, not just that big piece, and rocks will every time..I rolled the log and pulled it out, was about the size of a tennis ball...

So I have ~10 tanks through the new 562, no problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I also picked up some husqvarna H48 chain I believe. Much better than what I was using. Seems to stay good and sharp for a long time

On the splitter side, as I mentioned, I decided to rent a couple. Went with the closest power equipment place, they have a timberwolf p1. Nice and quiet, sipped gas all day long, decent power, though could have used a bit more now and then. And of course its horizontal only, which meant I had to do some extra noodling, which slowed me down a bit. Got 3+ cords split in 1 days by myself with a bit of help from the wife only.

Status
Not open for further replies.