New Shelter SF1000 Not heating up home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nvsq

Nov 22, 2021
Upstate, NY
Local hvac person installed a brand new shelter sf1000. After firing it up the house doesn’t get past 63 degrees and the fan runs non stop. I feel absolutely no air coming from the vents. Any ideas what could be happening here? Thanks in advance

A923371F-7FAF-4225-979B-5124087E02E9.jpeg 543C6866-90E9-4568-8201-C480B45771E8.jpeg 98F2451F-3A9D-4F5F-84C8-0A29270A7837.jpeg 06796FB5-91EC-4BD0-A025-11541F649E1B.jpeg 96CFA7FC-9476-40DA-9220-537DD872E5ED.jpeg FBCB6678-6336-4F48-BC58-23B095A71545.jpeg DB5C2FAE-7C50-457F-877B-065736681D75.jpeg

Reactions: Taylorsville
What a mess! Do you have backdraft dampers installed to isolate the central furnace from the woodfurnace? If not, it can loop and nothing will be delivered to the home. It looks like one supply is entering the main trunk and another supply in the plenum of the central furnace? The central furnace needs to be isolated from the woodfurnace so only heat travels in one direction.

Reactions: salecker and NorMi
What a mess!
Holy carp! Understatement of the year! The install had to cost twice what the furnace cost!
Backdraft damper is probably a good place to start...and keep in mind the blower on this furnace is likely much smaller than the blower on the other furnace, so you might not feel the air as strong (which is fine)

What a mess! Do you have backdraft dampers installed to isolate the central furnace from the woodfurnace? If not, it can loop and nothing will be delivered to the home. It looks like one supply is entering the main trunk and another supply in the plenum of the central furnace? The central furnace needs to be isolated from the woodfurnace so only heat travels in one direction.
Hey there is an electronic damper on the propane furnace cold air intake. If you look closely you can see a red light which means is closed. There are 2 spring loaded butterfly damper on the wood furnace. But that’s about it

What a mess! Do you have backdraft dampers installed to isolate the central furnace from the woodfurnace? If not, it can loop and nothing will be delivered to the home. It looks like one supply is entering the main trunk and another supply in the plenum of the central furnace? The central furnace needs to be isolated from the woodfurnace so only heat travels in one direction
Hey there is an electronic damper on the propane furnace cold air intake. If you look closely you can see a red light which means is closed. There are 2 spring loaded butterfly damper on the wood furnace. But that’s about it
and yes one supply is in the main trunk and the other one on the plenum

Do I see cold air return lines into the Shelter blower box? If they are the same size as the supply lines, they are too small...need to be 10-20% larger than the supply lines.
And do we know for fact the the Shelter blower has enough nuts to open the spring loaded damper(s)?

Reactions: NorMi
Do I see cold air return lines into the Shelter blower box? If they are the same size as the supply lines, they are too small...need to be 10-20% larger than the supply lines.
And do we know for fact the the Shelter blower has enough nuts to open the spring loaded damper(s)?
Yes, there are 2, 8 inch supply line going to the wood wood furnace

My wife looked over and asked, “why are you shaking your head at your phone”? It just looks like a mess. Good luck, I’m of no help.

Yes, there are 2, 8 inch supply line going to the wood wood furnace
I'd swap at least one of those return lines for a 10" then...that would give you ~100 sq inches of flow out, and ~128 coming back...just about right. Not sayin that will fix the current major problem though...

I see the electronic damper in the return. However, it does seem like it's pulling in a loop if you're feeling nothing at the registers. Are you feeling a draw on your returns? Perhaps check with a sheet of paper or tissue to see if they are drawing?

One other concern that may be an illusion. Can you remove the stove pipe between the chimney and furnace for easy cleaning? It seems pretty tight there.

It looks like the return ducts are just dumping into a flat plate that is mounted right against the air filter? The duct fan on mine never runs continuously, the max on time for the blower is maybe 5-8 minutes before the plenum cools to the low temp cutoff. I think you are only using two ~8" circles of the 20x20 air filter and the whole system is just choked for airflow.

It looks like the return ducts are just dumping into a flat plate that is mounted right against the air filter? The duct fan on mine never runs continuously, the max on time for the blower is maybe 5-8 minutes before the plenum cools to the low temp cutoff. I think you are only using two ~8" circles of the 20x20 air filter and the whole system is just choked for airflow.

Might be worth trying removing the air filter and covering the slot temporarily and see if airflow improves no?

Might be worth trying removing the air filter and covering the slot temporarily and see if airflow improves no?
That seems like a quick and simple test, I'd try it. The first thing I thought was there was a short circuit for airflow too, but as long as that damper in the return duct is working properly it doesn't seem like that would be it. The ducts for return are supposed to be at a very minimum 110 sq. in, and 100 sq. in. for the supply side iirc. The return plenum/air filter setup just looked like another choke point on top of the return duct sizing, most likely a few problems to address.

Reactions: usernametaken
Hope you havn't paid the bill yet...