New Snowblower - 4ft SB-48

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dataman

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2018
Newport, Wa
Well few days ago we finally got our Snow Blower.

Of course no Snow, but it seems ready for the Job. I have some minor issues to fix still. Really need bigger Center Link. Using Cat 0 and Need Cat 1. We have Cat 1 I thought , but it's too big. Found one online, on order.

Had to pay Sale Tax for WA State. Like they are NY State. Ahhh $136 dollars more than I wanted to spend.

Some issues.

Wrong Bolts to hold down the gear for Chute Control.
Handel for Turning the Chute Snapped in 2 1st use (crack in it from shipping I think, like it's plastic) Metal one will replace it anyway.

Could not find the Overflow for Gear Box Oil. Could not see how much to put in. Like you could write it on tag on the unit. they put tag saying what type of oil. They have picture in manual saying how much. Actual unit is not that way.

They send wrong Chute Deflector Control. I wanted manual one. Got Hydraulic One.

Final Delivery shipper was POS Pain. Would call make apt and took 3rd time and different vender to get it. 1st Day called at 3pm saying "not on truck". 2nd Day no call, I had to call them. 3rd Day new shipper for local delivery.

This unit was very heavy for our little tractor. We have forks to put on bucket. We were at our limit for weight. But it did it!

Wife will have lots of fun this winter. Last Winter I had to use 22" Snowblower to do our 1000ft driveway. Like 6 passes up and down to clean it. Guy we hired undependable. New Guy wants $100 per plow. Really? We can do it ourselves and pay for blower in min of 2 years.

I got some help from friend who has Tractor PTO Experience. Beyond my skill set to cut down the PTO shaft. We ended up taking 1 Foot out of it to make it work and we still have 1/3 overlap in the middle. Tractor handles it easily.

When I get parts should be able to get it ready to go in less than an hour.

Sorry no pics of it going down driveway on tractor. Wife has look of Fear on her Face.

Anyway we have it too high up I bet. But want to use it in snow before we adjust it. We brought 1 bolt hole up and I think it's too high. We have White Granite Rocks about 2-3" in driveway.

Picture is last Feb. I bet we did 15 plows.

Attachments

• 20191026_120103.jpg
    20191026_120103.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 20191026_120120.jpg
    20191026_120120.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 197
  • 20191026_120218.jpg
    20191026_120218.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_7149.JPG
    IMG_7149.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Congratulations, you will be very pleased. Does this unit use shear bolt protection? My Woods unit does and it broke a bolt first thing out. I keep a few spares in the tool box now. Haven't had any issues since.

Sure does. They sent bolts for the PTO Shear and Auger Shear Bolts. About 4 each. Will be going to hardware store and getting more soon. Looks easy to change them out too.

Nice unit, should have your driveway done in no time. I'll never buy another anything with shear bolts, only a slip clutch for me, I know they need adjustment, but for my brush hog, I buy shear bolts by the dozen. For you guys out there that need to cut down a PTO shaft, it's not that hard, find your required length and cut it so you have a minimum of 6" of overlap. Chop saw works nice, the more overlap the better.

Keep us updated on your satisfaction with your Woodmax, I'm taking a hard look at their 78" flail mower.

Friend I had did not recommend we use our Table Saw or Chop Saw. I thought just get new blade for metal. But hey Machine Shop was only 20 bucks (x2). I outfitted Wife's Happy Place with Powermatic 2000B table saw - 3HP 1PH 230V 50" RIP w/Accu-Fence & Router Lift. I think we put 40k Building plus all sort of Tools so she can make Birdhouses and whatever. As long as no rush jobs to ER I am happy. Happy to finally get it, been on fence about getting one for few years. Rather pay person to do the job, but no one shows up all the time. Leave you not able to get out. Frustrating.

Friend I had did not recommend we use our Table Saw or Chop Saw. I thought just get new blade for metal. But hey Machine Shop was only 20 bucks (x2). I outfitted Wife's Happy Place with Powermatic 2000B table saw - 3HP 1PH 230V 50" RIP w/Accu-Fence & Router Lift. I think we put 40k Building plus all sort of Tools so she can make Birdhouses and whatever. As long as no rush jobs to ER I am happy. Happy to finally get it, been on fence about getting one for few years. Rather pay person to do the job, but no one shows up all the time. Leave you not able to get out. Frustrating.

Oh not a wood table saw or chop saw, that would be quite an adventure, !!! I meant a metal chop saw with a fiber blade meant for metal. But for $20 certainly not worth buying one, if you don't use it often. Glad it worked out.

nothing to do with this tread but really quick most people tighten up shear bolts to tight and cause a early breakage. for those who haven't had the pleasure yet

I think you'll be quite happy, and have fun clearing your drive now.

IMO, WoodMaxx has a good reputation. I almost bought one of their self powered drum chippers. I liked their design and price as compared to the DR disc chipper. I wound up finding a nice '90's Troy Bilt Super Tomahawk Pro locally for a steal and it's been working great for me.

I "suffered" through about 20 New England winters with an 8 hp 26" MTD self propelled blower. It took all of the use and abuse I gave it and actually performed really well, but I was tired of walking and it being too "small and slow".

My 1994 JD 425 came with a hydraulic front quick hitch, 54" blade and 47" blower. The first big storm was easy clean up. I was blowing the dense and half wet crap away from in from of the mailbox that the state plow pushed there and sucked up a good 10 foot long x 2" dead oak branch. I was amazed that the all steel the JD blower became dual function as a wood chipper. It chopped that sucker up and spit it out without skipping a beat or shearing a bolt. I was impressed. The hydraulic lift is sweet too. When we get the huge storms I can just lift the blower about 3" off the ground and clear a big patch of lawn for the dogs to do their business.

Reactions: Dataman
We put final piece of Snowblower Puzzle in Today. Wife put on New Top Links (Cat 1). It's ready to BLOW!. I think in 2 years it will be paid for. Guy I have to plow wants 100 bucks a plow job. Yikes. 23 plows it's paid for. Worst case we 4x4 out in our Jeep Rubicon. This thing is beast. 529lbs of Steel.