New Stove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've narrowed my choiced down to the Ashford 25 or the Montlake 230. Non-cat vs cat.

So to recap the montlake would have better fire views, while the Ashford might be more coals/dark?

I've narrowed my choiced down to the Ashford 25 or the Montlake 230. Non-cat vs cat.

So to recap the montlake would have better fire views, while the Ashford might be more coals/dark?
Ashford will only be dark if you're turning down for max burn times. If run at a similar rate to the Montlake, it will have flame show. The stove doesn't change the fundamental physics of wood combustion, and somehow delete flames!

People take advantage of the low and slow capabilities of a cat stove, to allow them to install a larger stove than they would otherwise, and leverage that larger fuel tank into longer burn times. But there's no saying you have to run down there.

Here's my Ashford on a higher burn setting.

IMG_1356.JPG

Then medium:

IMG_0987.JPG IMG_1053.JPG

Then low:

IMG_5399.JPG

You can switch between these modes by simply turning a knob. That last mode gets all the talk, because BK is unique in that ability, but it can still burn as hot and with as much flame show as most non-cats.

Reactions: Jedi
In this situation, I agree. For winter burning I don't think it will be running low and slow. It's a big house and the room has a vaulted ceiling. This is why I recommended the larger Montlake 300.

Reactions: Jedi and Ashful
In this situation, I agree. For winter burning I don't think it will be running low and slow. It's a big house and the room has a vaulted ceiling. This is why I recommended the larger Montlake 300.

I agree too, but I'm already pushing the hearth extension limits with the Montlake 230 (about 3in short). So I imagine the 300 would be even bigger.

Last edited:
Another thing, the dealer has the Montlake available now, while I would have to wait till January for the Ashford, not that I mind waiting.
I'll also call an independent installer tomorrow for an additional quote.

Tried drawing where the insert will sit as best as I could using the diagrams.

IMG_20221113_072253564.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree too, but I'm already pushing the hearth extension limits with the Montlake 230 (about 3in short). So I imagine the 300 would be even bigger.
Extend the hearth. Extra protection is a bonus. Having too little heat will mean doing it over again at some point in the future. This was a lesson I learned in our house.

My door does not slowly close - and I have not even checked whether the stove is exactly level.

The door gasket leaking is a serious issue. That needs to be resolved so that it passes the dollar bill test (stick a bill between gasket and stove body, close the door, pull out the bill - it should have some resistance). Otherwise too much air comes in, wasting efficiency, endangering the cat, and leading to less control over the fire.

I think your installer needs to come in to do this (door leaking) AND the bypass lever thing right. You don't want to bang on a hot stove - nor should you be needing to.

I hope that @BKVP can provide suggestions for the door slowly closing issue (given that the insert is level).

@begreen, this may be better in a new thread (and after moving, delete this post alerting you to that).