New stove purchase (questions)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lastone

Jul 15, 2021
Mo
This is a very informative forum I'm glad I found it because I did not know stoves changed so much. Stove will be in a large room with 16' ceiling. Getting rid of Federal 2462, it did a good job I believe these stoves are similar.
So I have 20' tall flue measured from stove pad 8''single wall stainless liner in masonry inside of house.
I have Blaze King Princess on my list put from reading on here there flue sensitive. From my pad to center of thimble is 64''
They recommend 3' from top of stove to thimble, BK with legs 31''.........pedestal 34''.........with ultra pedestal 29'' measured to center of my thimble straight up from stove, according to there stove dimensions would I be iffy on getting a good draft?
I've looked at PE Summit, Regency 3500, and will be looking at Osbourn 3300. I liked the Summit but the door opening was very low to the ground it was pedestal model, Regency looked fine door opening was taller and I've not looked at Osbourn yet. I'm in my 60's and bending over with wood is not going to get easier.
Out of the 4 any one that is night and day better or has any quirks that I have not seen on this forum? I've been lurking for 6 months.

All good stoves. Some will provide lower maintenance and a better fire view, but it depends on how the stove is going to be run. If you want to have the load door higher, consider raising the hearth. Also, consider the Blaze King King. It takes an 8" flue.

Is the stainless liner insulated? BK recommends this, especially for stoves being run low and slow and for most installations it is code. Even more important will be the wood burned. Dry wood at under 20% moisture content is essential for a good burn in any modern stove, though it sounds like you already know this with the old Federal.

The liner is just single wall not insulated so looks like BK is out.
Can I just go from 6'' to 8'' in my flue with these other stoves?
I've got a 3 to 4 year supply of wood already cut dry wood is not an issue.
Of the other 3 are they pretty much the same?
I grew up with Sears and Ashley's, I thought the Federal was high tech.

Yes, they probably will work out ok.
The old Dutchwest Federal was a good stove.

Reactions: stoveliker
I just bought the osburn 3300 .have only had 1 little break in fire so I cannot tell you how it will perform.it is a nice looking stove.there was another person on here that just ordered one as well

Attachments

• 20210623_145159.jpg
    20210623_145159.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Silversniper
Yes, they probably will work out ok.
The old Dutchwest Federal was a good stove.
I've had 2 the last one I bought used and I can't get it shut it down in case of flue fire, replaced all the gaskets must be bad seam somewhere so I'm getting rid of it.

I've had 2 the last one I bought used and I can't get it shut it down in case of flue fire, replaced all the gaskets must be bad seam somewhere so I'm getting rid of it.
You aren't going to be able to shut any new ones down enough to put out a flue fire either.

I always thought you could close off stove and starve fire for oxygen that's not true?
With newer stoves no. They always allow a certain amount of air through to maintain a clean burn. And that is plenty of air to keep a chimney fire burning. The best approach is to empty a fire extinguisher into the stove then call the FD.

Reactions: stoveliker
The best approach is to never have a chimney fire. That is relatively easy with a modern, clean burning stove as long as the wood is dry, the fire doesn't smolder and the chimney is cleaned regularly.

The best approach is to never have a chimney fire. That is relatively easy with a modern, clean burning stove as long as the wood is dry, the fire doesn't smolder and the chimney is cleaned regularly.
Well yes you are absolutely correct there. Not having a chimney fire is certainly best

I'm not sure the 2462 could be completely cut off. Didn't it have a combustor air inlet or am I thinking of another stove?

I'm not sure the 2462 could be completely cut off. Didn't it have a combustor air inlet or am I thinking of another stove?
It was a catalytic stove but had air controls to firebox and convertor which you could close completely and air hole on ash door.

Since you mentioned BK stoves, the King (rather than the princess) runs on an 8" flue. But insulated indeed (is recommended).

From the pics the 2462 is quite similar to the fa264ccl, and the secondary air inlet that provided air just below the combustor could be closed off completely. But when the stove itself leaks that makes no difference anymore ...

I think you'll be happy with a new stove. I was. They have quite progressed since then.

The King is out, given the vertical rise restriction to the horizontal transition. If this chimney is on an exterior wall, verify clearances to combustibles. NFPA 211 requires 1" on exterior walls and 2" on interior walls...correct @bholler? If you can get current liner out and wrap it, it would probably work with the Princess nicely, but it would be best for any stove you select.

The King is out, given the vertical rise restriction to the horizontal transition. If this chimney is on an exterior wall, verify clearances to combustibles. NFPA 211 requires 1" on exterior walls and 2" on interior walls...correct @bholler? If you can get current liner out and wrap it, it would probably work with the Princess nicely, but it would be best for any stove you select.
That is correct. Another area to pay close attention to is where it passes through the wall. If there are any combustibles in the wall it is never done right. Those clearances are in IRC chapter 10 btw.

Reactions: BKVP
Thanks for the help if anybody has any other info on the other three feel free to post..........again thanks