New stove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Any estimate on the F50 Rangely?

One young sales guy at my local stove dealer told me they only deal Jotul and Hearthstone, and that's all I saw on their showroom floor. However, Lopi and Pacific Energy both have them listed on their respective websites as my local dealer. Gotta get to the bottom of this, since we would really like to find a 2.0 - 2.3 cu.ft. top-load stove with a classic cast-iron look, and the Lopi Leyden looks like it may fit the bill. The F50 is everything we want, aside from cosmetics. The Enviro Bostons are also nice stoves, but the 1200 is small, and the 1700 is on the large end of what we think we want. The Alderlea T5 is also nice, and might end up being a good fit, but lacks top-load capability.

We've gotten so used to our Jotul Firelight 12 top-loader, and really dislike using the front door, as it always seems to stir up a good deal of ash upon opening. Also, we can get bigger logs thru the top-load door than we can get over the andirons when front-loading, which really matters when you're hand-splitting some really nasty stuff and want to just leave some large. Unfortunately, it does seem most of the non-cat top-loaders have pretty small top load doors.

Would be interested in hearing of any other top-loader stoves in this range, which require only ember protection forward of the door. We haven't completely ruled out front-loaders, but would choose a top-loader over a front-loader, all else being equal. Also interested in cat stoves, as the more advice I get about non-cats, the more I think we'd be better off sticking with a cat.

Ash stirring with the Alderlea is not an issue and there are no andirons in them. North/South loading is a nice advantage IMO.

C'mon, begreen! I thought you were going to post a whole list of other stoves that would fit my bill. :p

Is N/S loading the standard with the Alderlea T5? They post an 18" max log length, which means I'll have to cut a LOT shorter than I've been cutting for the Firelight 12.

Thanks! Any estimate on the F50 Rangely?

One young sales guy at my local stove dealer told me they only deal Jotul and Hearthstone, and that's all I saw on their showroom floor. However, Lopi and Pacific Energy both have them listed on their respective websites as my local dealer. Gotta get to the bottom of this, since we would really like to find a 2.0 - 2.3 cu.ft. top-load stove with a classic cast-iron look, and the Lopi Leyden looks like it may fit the bill. The F50 is everything we want, aside from cosmetics. The Enviro Bostons are also nice stoves, but the 1200 is small, and the 1700 is on the large end of what we think we want. The Alderlea T5 is also nice, and might end up being a good fit, but lacks top-load capability.

We've gotten so used to our Jotul Firelight 12 top-loader, and really dislike using the front door, as it always seems to stir up a good deal of ash upon opening. Also, we can get bigger logs thru the top-load door than we can get over the andirons when front-loading, which really matters when you're hand-splitting some really nasty stuff and want to just leave some large. Unfortunately, it does seem most of the non-cat top-loaders have pretty small top load doors.

Would be interested in hearing of any other top-loader stoves in this range, which require only ember protection forward of the door. We haven't completely ruled out front-loaders, but would choose a top-loader over a front-loader, all else being equal. Also interested in cat stoves, as the more advice I get about non-cats, the more I think we'd be better off sticking with a cat.

Joful - I just priced out an F50 Rangely and it was about $2,550 at a dealer in eastern Iowa.

C'mon, begreen! I thought you were going to post a whole list of other stoves that would fit my bill. :p

Is N/S loading the standard with the Alderlea T5? They post an 18" max log length, which means I'll have to cut a LOT shorter than I've been cutting for the Firelight 12.

N/S loading is standard in any stove, as long as the wood is cut to the right length. ;) In the T5 or T6, the sweet length is 18", same as the Rangeley. And the Rangeley is the same size as the big Boston. You most likely will be burning 16-18" wood with the change. No problem, the Firelight will burn that wood length too.

Life's a compromise, but you determine the priorities and where the compromise will be.

Worth mentioning that the Rangeley will take much bigger splits thru the front door than the top door. Andirons on the Rangeley are easily removable but I've had no trouble loading around mine.

Yep... I can even load N/S on the Firelight 12, when I have pieces 10" long!

My fireplace opening is wide and high, but it's painfully shallow. I have 27" deep with the modern firebrick installed. If I remove the firebrick and get back to the original stone fireplace, I'll have 30" depth. I want to be able to close the doors on this fireplace with the stove inside in the off season, as we do with our other (deeper) fireplace.

It's my assumption that, since I'm sticking this thing inside a large fireplace, I probably don't require the prescribed rear clearances, even for "shielded combustables". I haven't seen a single manufacturer detail this situation in any of their installation guides, so it may be worth calling one or two of them to find out what they would prescribe.

The Boston 1700 is indeed a nice looking stove, but on quick glance, 2" deeper than the F50. Every inch I can eliminate behind and in the stove is an inch less hearth extension I'll need to build out front of the existing fireplace. If I can jam this thing almost back to the rear wall of the fireplace, and just worry about 16" in front, then the size of my hearth extension is mostly dependent on the size of the stove

In terms of classic looking wide and shallow stoves around 2 - 2.3 cu.ft., is there anything stove worth checking, beyond the T5, F50, 500 Oslo, and Leyden?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.