New Stove - Woodstock Progress Hybrid, BK Ashford 30 or Chinook 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KDubU

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Maine
So here goes. We have finally (I think/hope) that we are down to three stoves:

Woodstock Progress Hybrid
BK Ashford 30
BK Chinook 30

The Wooodstock is soapstone which we like as we have had a Hearthstone in the past and liked it a lot. Considering Woodstock due to proximity as well as the great customer service we have read about.

The BK’s only came on the radar due to this forum and everyone raving about them. Please note as the stove will be a focal point in the house we are not inclined to the Princess or King style. Form and function is important to us. Yes the two models are very different looking and we are used to the Ashford look as we have had way back VC’s in our past. The Chinook is in the picture as the house we purchased is contemporary and we are decorating a la Scandinavian style (think white walls and pale red oak floors applied with Bona Nordicseal).

Here is what we have:

A decoupled Mendota gas fireplace insert (note not a fan at all) inserted into a masonry chimney. The dimensions of the hearth are 36”w x 19d x 29h plus there is a 15” section that extends beyond the hearth opening if that makes sense. This means there is 36” deep area for the stove to sit depending on how far back we want it. I know on the Progress Hybrid some of the controls are on the side towards the rear so need to be aware of that.

Attached are some pics of the current Mendota and the exterior chimney. Note we had it inspected prior to purchasing the house this past fall as it is in very good shape. We will have a chimney sweep clean it first of course after the current liner is removed. Also note my plan is to do this myself with a 6” smooth liner and blocker installed. Moving of the stove into the house will be done by motorized dolly that climbs stairs and if we go with the Progress Hybrid, we will pick it up and offload at home with forks on the tractor.

Other notes: this will be planned to be primary heat source although for insurance reasons it will be secondary. We live on 10 acres of hardwood forest with red oak predominant. Yes, I have started cutting and stacking for next year already and am very well aware of moisture content (already have a tester) and have bucked wood for over 20 years. Not trying to be “smart”, just heading off comments.

2E81A62C-5494-44BA-A568-92929273439C.jpeg 3F001CE8-A601-426E-BAB3-8AC3CC9EBDC2.jpeg 0A7EB757-3AE8-4746-AF9D-AD9A34D1E07D.jpeg

Forgot to add that rear flue I believe is the only way to go as we do not want the flue to go up and then two 45’s out as that would invole a lot more work. Thinking this may discount the Chinook? Unfortunate as I was liking the more modern style.

I was just about to comment that you will need a rear-vented stove that clears the 29" lintel. The Chinook is 35.5" tall, the Ashford is 33" tall. Both are top-vented. It's not catalytic, but the Jotul F55 has a short leg option that drops the rear vent height to about 27".

Last edited:
I was just about to comment that you will need a rear-vented stove that clears the 29" lintel. The Chinook is 35.5" tall, the Ashford is 33" tall. Both are top-vented. It's not catalytic, but the Jotul F55 has a short leg option that drops the rear vent height to about 27".
Yeah thought the Chinook would not make it. Bummer as I definitely like the modern look it has. Are also saying the Ashford is the same? I no now the Progress Hybrid can have short legs as an option.

Have had a Jotul previously and like the stoves but have discounted them.

Yes, the PH has the short-legs option. It's a good choice. The Jotul F55 is a cast iron jacketed steel stove made in Maine. It's a 3 cu ft non-cat with excellent outer-jacket castings and it's a good looker. It has the benefit of front controls and a blower option.

Yes, the PH has the short-legs option. It's a good choice. The Jotul F55 is a cast iron jacketed steel stove made in Maine. It's a 3 cu ft non-cat with excellent outer-jacket castings and it's a good looker. It has the benefit of front controls and a blower option.
Now stop that! You have now added another stove….bugger.

Reactions: Todd
If the application (clearances and stove-pipe alignment) fits the PH well I would go that route. It appears that this would be the best looking stove in this location (to my eye), and is in a good place for a side-loader that also calls for a lot of clearance.

700lbs of thermal mass and the lower surface temps in operation are also more pleasant to be sittings in the room with compared to some iron/steel options. Granted the BK's are intended for lower output operation so those aren't bad in this department.

I was watching an interesting little youtube video about energy radiation the other day. The host put a glowing red steel ball in a vacuum to demonstrate that it could radiate its thermal energy without any atmosphere to conduct energy away. The host pointed out that radiation rate is proportional to the fourth power of the absolute temperature. This is practical information for stove buyers, as it sort of explains why steel stoves "feel" about twice as hot in the same room as soapstone stoves. (a 700F surface radiates about twice the energy as a 500F surface).

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback @mdocod and I am definitely leaning this way. Now just have to confirm the exit flue alignment works. Not a fan of rear exit horizontal into and existing masonry chimney but it’s what I have.

Interesting about the energy radiation…steel stoves are just not my bag and don’t want a hot stove. We are home most of the time so keeping a soapstone stove running well is not big deal.

If the application (clearances and stove-pipe alignment) fits the PH well I would go that route. It appears that this would be the best looking stove in this location (to my eye), and is in a good place for a side-loader that also calls for a lot of clearance.

700lbs of thermal mass and the lower surface temps in operation are also more pleasant to be sittings in the room with compared to some iron/steel options. Granted the BK's are intended for lower output operation so those aren't bad in this department.

I was watching an interesting little youtube video about energy radiation the other day. The host put a glowing red steel ball in a vacuum to demonstrate that it could radiate its thermal energy without any atmosphere to conduct energy away. The host pointed out that radiation rate is proportional to the fourth power of the absolute temperature. This is practical information for stove buyers, as it sort of explains why steel stoves "feel" about twice as hot in the same room as soapstone stoves. (a 700F surface radiates about twice the energy as a 500F surface).
You do realize both those bk stoves are pretty heavily shielded stoves right? That means your comparison isn't very accurate at all.

Thanks for the feedback @mdocod and I am definitely leaning this way. Now just have to confirm the exit flue alignment works. Not a fan of rear exit horizontal into and existing masonry chimney but it’s what I have.

Interesting about the energy radiation…steel stoves are just not my bag and don’t want a hot stove. We are home most of the time so keeping a soapstone stove running well is not big deal.
The ph is a very good stoves and I don't think you would regret that decision at all. But don't put to much value on the soapstone marketing claims. It really won't make much difference at all when compared to a shielded steel stove

You do realize both those bk stoves are pretty heavily shielded stoves right? That means your comparison isn't very accurate at all.
You mean the ones that were eliminated from the options because they don't fit? The comment at that point is in passing an in general, not specific to these BK stoves.

For the record I have nothing against soapstone. There are some fantastic soapstone stoves and some that aren't very good. And it does soften the heat a bit. But there are also compromises made to get that softer heat that you don't have with clad steel stoves.

@bholler no worries, always appreciate your comments as your knowledge is invaluable.

I spoke to Woodstock today and they confirmed with short legs, the center of the rear exit is at 22.75” so that will be fine for my hearth. Now I want to get a look at the Jotul 55 as they make them like 35 minutes from my house and they are about $1k less expensive. That $1k could go towards the grapple I want for my tractor to make hauling logs out of the property easier.

Reactions: mdocod
@bholler no worries, always appreciate your comments as your knowledge is invaluable.

I spoke to Woodstock today and they confirmed with short legs, the center of the rear exit is at 22.75” so that will be fine for my hearth. Now I want to get a look at the Jotul 55 as they make them like 35 minutes from my house and they are about $1k less expensive. That $1k could go towards the grapple I want for my tractor to make hauling logs out of the property easier.
The 55 is a very good stove as well. But very different being noncat

Did they say what the delivery time is currently for the PH?

Did they say what the delivery time is currently for the PH?
Deposit down now and stove should be available sometime in Feb. at the warehouse/HQ. Delivery is another matter and my plans are to pickup.

Reactions: begreen
Just put a deposit down on the Progress Hybrid with an estimated pickup in February. Hopefully this will work out well for us as it has good reviews, we like the soapstone look and Woodstock has good customer service based on research.

Now I have to buy the liner and just waiting on a call back from my chimney sweep to get it cleaned.

Reactions: begreen
Woodstock products are excellent, you will not be disappointed! Yes their service is legendary, the product is so well made and thoughtfully engineered. Congratulations!

Have owned all three of those stoves and the chinook was my favorite of the three.

Have owned all three of those stoves and the chinook was my favorite of the three.
GTK. What were some of the likes and dislikes with the stoves?

The progress hybrid is a side loader and I didn't realize I was not going to like a side-loading stove...... The fire view on the progress I didn't care for either..... The burn times on the progress were pretty good about 12 hours....... The Ashford was a good stove but didn't get the longer burn times that I could get from the Chinook..... The Ashford also had the tendency to give off that sweet smoke smell unless you turned it up higher , which defeated the purpose.... Interestingly the Ashford and the progress both got about the same burn times...... The Chinook had much more control of burn times and output than the other two...... It also heated my house faster and better than the progress or the Ashford....... And I really like the north-south loading...... I also liked the look of the Chinook it's a very clean look and doesn't need a lot to make it look sharp in a house...... The only downside of the Chinook was when starting a fire you need to make sure that you've charred the wood well before you turn down the thermostat otherwise you get a pretty smoky output from your chimney......... Overall I would stick to a steel stove because I feel the cladding type that has soapstone or cast iron limits burn times and reduces the flexibility.

I have an outside brick chimney just like you, it was custom built with a higher lintel height though. I had A hearthstone equinox for 10 years then switched to an ashford. I liked my hearthstone but love my ashford. Does the PH have a blower? You will want one. The slow heat up of my blowerless hearthstone didn't match up well with the cold thermal mass of my external brick chimney.

My ashford is just works 100x better in every way for me and my setup.

Jotul makes a nice stove for sure, I have heard good things about Woodstock stuff too.