• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

leggs_19567

Jan 23, 2019
kentucky
I am looking for a new pellet stove for our 2500 sq ft double wide. It is not real good insulator. We currently use electric heat and I feel as though it is drafty. I am debating on what brand of stove to get, my man thinks wood stove but I believe pellet would be easier to maintain. He does not like the moving working components and concerned these will go bad. I am looking in the $2000 to $2500 range plus stove pipes etc. My brother recommended the US Stove VG5790 65,000btu, with 120lb hopper and smart controller that slows the auger feed running $1996 in cost. I saw highly recommended Harman and Quadafire but spending $4500 total out of pocket is not reasonable for . I would like to have stove that will not require $300-$400 monthly bill for heat. We have looked at gas, gas inserts, wood stoves and pellet stoves and I think the easiest for us will be pellets, while gas involved having to put a new tank, lines etc. How much is decrease in electric bill once starting to use pellet stove?
What is your recommendations, what do I want to look for and good brands, As a new pellet stove owner in future what do you recommend? Any advice is appreciated.

I replaced my Blaze King King in May and started using new Harmon XXV in Sep. Got Floor Model for $3300. I had it installed professionally for insurance purposes. Got battery backup so I can run without power for 6-12 hours, another 7 hundred.

Spent $1000 on pellets for 5 tons. Looks like I will use 3 - 4 tons for this Warm Winter. Very happy so far. Electricity where am is .05 per Kilowatt. About 20kw to run Heat Pump or $5.00 for bag of pellets. So it's not effective in Sep/Oct. Still ran it to get the Buzz and Problems out. Had to fix some screws impacting fan about running couple months.

Really like the ability to Control the Heat. With BK King you need to get the stove "In the Zone" for Catalyst to work and burn clean. I was going thru 3 - 4 cords of wood. Plus ash in the house and smoke when I screwed up and did not do everything right. Plus danger of overfire. Pellet stove lots easier. Smoke is not a issue.

I was also looking for Pellet stove for 2k and was going with Cab50. I wanted Big Hopper.

http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/Products/CAB50-Pellet-Stove.aspx

Could have got one for $1600 (floor model again). I went with pretty stove since Cab50 and old Wood Stove were just black cube. Harmon looks very nice.

The recommend stove US Stove VG5790 is good choice from what I read. Go see/hear one. Harmon is very quiet on 1/2 speed. The 2 box fans we use to move air around make the noise.

Something to consider is do you have place to store 5-6 pallets of pellets? Ie dry out of the weather. I use bay of building and bring 1/2 ton up at time to back porch.

I agree with you for Pellet stove over wood stove. Lots cleaner. Price pellets in your area. Can you get Firewood Free? I bought 2 years out of 7. Windstorms provided the rest. Gave away 6 cords this summer I had ready to burn (already split and stacked). We get about 2-3 trees down each year. I had access to my 10ac and another 15ac for firewood for free. Log splitter and tractor to move the trees. But I find it lots easier to drop in bag of pellets since hurt my shoulder when bucking up logs couple years ago (torn rotater cuff and muscle).

Well my thoughts. For Pellet stoves a lot of people (me included) think Harmon is one of the best. Research parts for your stove. Also think Wood stove power outage it still does the job. Pellet you need generator or battery backup or BOTH.

You are so looks pretty nice but make sure any so that you buy as a thermostat that you can stop the temperature you want. Otherwise you're going to be hitting the up and down 1 through 5 temp setting more than you probably want to

I replaced my Blaze King King in May and started using new Harmon XXV in Sep. Got Floor Model for $3300. I had it installed professionally for insurance purposes. Got battery backup so I can run without power for 6-12 hours, another 7 hundred.

Spent $1000 on pellets for 5 tons. Looks like I will use 3 - 4 tons for this Warm Winter. Very happy so far. Electricity where am is .05 per Kilowatt. About 20kw to run Heat Pump or $5.00 for bag of pellets. So it's not effective in Sep/Oct. Still ran it to get the Buzz and Problems out. Had to fix some screws impacting fan about running couple months.

Really like the ability to Control the Heat. With BK King you need to get the stove "In the Zone" for Catalyst to work and burn clean. I was going thru 3 - 4 cords of wood. Plus ash in the house and smoke when I screwed up and did not do everything right. Plus danger of overfire. Pellet stove lots easier. Smoke is not a issue.
Overfire is not much of an issue with the thermostatically controlled BK. How does the noise level compare?

Pellet stove has more noise. I would run the BK Wood Stove without the fans most of the time. I can run Harmon XXV Vans on Medium and get the results I want. I learned to ignore them. 2 Box fans make more noise (used to push air down hallway).

Pellet stove has more noise. I would run the BK Wood Stove without the fans most of the time. I can run Harmon XXV Vans on Medium and get the results I want. I learned to ignore them. 2 Box fans make more noise (used to push air down hallway).
I could be mistaken, but didn't you post you had some fly ash escaping the pellet heater? Was that resolved. I had a pellet stove at one time, many, many years ago and it never had an ash issue. Again, this is years ago, but replacing auger motor and timing board is what made me switch.

Also, my son dropping his Hot Wheels in the hopper didn't do much to help.

I am looking for a new pellet stove for our 2500 sq ft double wide. It is not real good insulator. We currently use electric heat and I feel as though it is drafty. I am debating on what brand of stove to get, my man thinks wood stove but I believe pellet would be easier to maintain. He does not like the moving working components and concerned these will go bad. I am looking in the $2000 to $2500 range plus stove pipes etc. My brother recommended the US Stove VG5790 65,000btu, with 120lb hopper and smart controller that slows the auger feed running $1996 in cost. I saw highly recommended Harman and Quadafire but spending $4500 total out of pocket is not reasonable for . I would like to have stove that will not require $300-$400 monthly bill for heat. We have looked at gas, gas inserts, wood stoves and pellet stoves and I think the easiest for us will be pellets, while gas involved having to put a new tank, lines etc. How much is decrease in electric bill once starting to use pellet stove?
What is your recommendations, what do I want to look for and good brands, As a new pellet stove owner in future what do you recommend? Any advice is appreciated.
if your looking for cheap new but reliable i know 2 different people who bought the pellet pro 130 from tractor supply and they said said the have run fine for them ,,remember the the biggest thing is to keep it cleaned ..now if i were buying used i would look for a envirofire ef3
easy to work on and parts are available. Or a Harmon p series like a p38 or 68 ...but then your going to start to get pricey even used...both the Harmon and envirofire are built like brick shi&^$%% houses