New stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainStoveGuy

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 23, 2006
Boulder County
With all the issues as of late, i apologize, my wife has had some health issues that has kept us real busy. I havent had much time to visit. Something as major as getting a new wood stove deserves a post.
So, i got a new Hearthstone. This time a Mansfield. Im loving it. The larger firebox is super nice when you want to jam that extra piece of wood in there. Its to much heat for my area but all night burns with pine is sweet. I will post some photos tommorrow.
Pros: Big BIg firebox
the ash pan is a better design. The grate in the bottem can be left open so it "feeds" itself. I still hate ashpans though.
No rear vent option

Cons: alot slower to warm up then the heratige
the heatshied is ugly
its to close to my wall. I would make elk cringe.

She has pregnacy induced hypertension and cant control her blood pressure. As of now its somewhat stable. I apreciate the comments.
My tank hobby doenst help with the blood pressure either.....

Glad to see you back Ryan , i hope all is well from here on out with your family brotherman.

Congrads on the new stove too , now your in the big stove group. I dont use the full cf size of mine 70% of the time either until it gets down into 0° and below but is nice to have for when it does get cold plus these is a lot of room for wood coal and ashes that dont have to be bothered with all the time to get more wood in.

;-)

I hope she is getting better, we would like to see some pics of the new stove.

I'm certain that its really Husband induced hypertension, and her physician is just trying to be tactful...

MSG, post photos, and post performance reports, with details and comparisons, on that Mansfield. That was the stove I selected if I was going to go the stove route instead of the insert route. Good luck with her... and with the wife too!

-- Mike

Good to hear that things are stable Ryan. We've missed you here.

Congratulations on the new baby. The 4 legged one that is.

MSG,

Many congrats on your new babies. We are also expecting two new arrivals in our household - a baby boy and a Hearthstone Tribute! We hope to have the Hearthstone installed in our kitchen by Christmas and baby in the nursery around St. Patrick's Day.

Again, congrats and you make sure your wife gets plenty of rest and doesn't lift a finger. Once the baby is born, her blood pressure will go back to normal - well until she has her first baby up all nighter!

All the best to you and your wife.

Unfortuanaly this was left over from the first pregnancy. When had Madeleine last october is she was in stroke territory. It never really went down. This time around its strait up dangerous. (150/120 range, consistantly) She has already been admitted a few times so they can watch her. They FINALLLLLY put her on meds and things are much better. Pregancy apparently does strange things to the body during and after. She NEVER had blood pressure issues before she was pregnant. Now she will be on BP meds for life. But on a good note things are smoothing out and getting back to normal. Thanks for the concerns !

MSG, congrats on the stove.

Your wife, you and your daughter are in our prayers over here. Hopefully everything turns out for the best.

MSG, congrats on the pending new arrivals. I've been where you are and agree it can be quite unnerving to see BP numbers that high, especially when you know where they are supposed to be. My wife has the same issue with both of her pregnancies. Latest little boy was born this past May. First time around she controlled it with a drug that's been around forever and that worked find. Second time I knocked her up, that med stopped controlling the BP about 3 months into it. Was admitted for two nights around the 5th month and had to switch her to a different class of BP med. Her BP was in the 160/110 range at that time. Since switching meds her BP was fantastic and we've got a new 6 month old little boy who's been perfectly healthy. Best of luck with that all.

Eric

MSG have the Doctors checked her thyroid?

Thyroids can wreak havoc with blood pressure.

NOT trying to say anything negative about the Doctors but sometimes simple things are overlooked.

Yea they checked that. Im suprised that she has any blood let from all the tests they have done. She developed this in the second trimester of her first pregnacy. It was supposed to go away.. but it didnt.

MSG,

All the best with the Mrs.

Saw your comments on the ash box of the mansfield..if possible would like to see what improvements where made compared to ours. THANK YOU.

ATB,

matt

Congrats on the new stove, I'm sure it will look great where the Heratige was (did you stay with the brown enamel?)

That tank looks like quite a project.

Best wishes for you and the Mrs.

Congrats on babies #2 and #3! :)
My wife went through the same thing, to a lesser extent, with our daughter. Hopefully everything will settle down for her, just don't let her over do it in the mean time.

Vintage 181 said:
MSG,

All the best with the Mrs.

Saw your comments on the ash box of the mansfield..if possible would like to see what improvements where made compared to ours. THANK YOU.

ATB,

matt

I dont think they changed it... the heratige wont let you open the ash grate in the stove unless the ash door is open. In the mansfield the ash grate opens and closes with the ash door shut. My stove burns so much better with a good ash bed in it i dont think i will ever use that feature. I never did in the heratige either.

Thanks guys for the support. She will be fine. I want her to take it easy but she insisted on going back to work. I think she is going to stop work completley after the first of the year. (i hope)

I dont think they changed it... the heratige wont let you open the ash grate in the stove unless the ash door is open. In the mansfield the ash grate opens and closes with the ash door shut. My stove burns so much better with a good ash bed in it i dont think i will ever use that feature. I never did in the heratige either.

It sounds the same..When we bought ours in 02, they told me it was new style...We always leave a 3/4 to 1 inch of ash on the bottom also.

THANK YOU.

So i have had this stove for a few weeks now. Someting i notice right off the bat is i dont get the same intensity of fire as i did with the heratige. It burns much slower, and it much harder to get going. It doenst smoke in the house or anything (even with the 100 mph winds we have had the last few days) but its just sluggish to start. I think alot of that has to do with my wood. Im burning the standing dead i cut down in the late summer. Im realy regretting not gettig my wood under cover this year. We are getting tons of snow. The other day it was well over the bucket on the honda 1123 snowblower. Somhere in the nighborhood of 34 inches of snow. I have to dig my wood out every time.
Im getting much longer burn times with this stove. Its not uncommon for me to get a all day burn if i pack the wood in just right. Literaly it will burn for 10-12 hours. I think this is due to the new stove and good gaskets. Or it could be because of the "slower" draft.
Im a few inches too close to the wall. Makes me a little nervous but what can i do about it now. They want 9" from the rear, and i have 7. I do have the heatshield and the back wall is a micore like product, but still im out of the envelope of what the manufacture allows. I dont recommend you try that at home folks. I think i am going to get a couple of 45's and bump it out. I dont realy want to do that beacause of the draft being slow already.
These stoves are beautifull, i realy like the look of soapstone. I liked the fluecollar better on the heratige. I dont like the "HEARTHSTONE" stamped in the front of the flue collar on the masfield. Also the lines of the stove and the legs more suited me with the heratige.
Photos :)

Attachments

• IMG_5922.jpg
    IMG_5922.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 238
Status
Not open for further replies.