New tax credits for 2021 for boilers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 14, 2020
Lisburn, PA
Conversation moved to the boiler room:
I have been researching outdoor and indoor boilers for a customer to be installed in the next 2 years. The 26% tax credit impacts how much she can spend. It is not clear to me how the IRS will administer this.
So how do I know if a manufacturer claim of being "certified" will meet the IRS requirements?
Some manufacturers are in the process of getting retested, others are claiming they meet the new regulations. Did they already get retested?
I read the AGH article above 3 times and it appears the situation is fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been researching outdoor and indoor boilers for a customer to be installed in the next 2 years. The 26% tax credit impacts how much she can spend. It is not clear to me how the IRS will administer this.
So how do I know if a manufacturer claim of being "certified" will meet the IRS requirements?
Some manufacturers are in the process of getting retested, others are claiming they meet the new regulations. Did they already get retested?
I read the AGH article above 3 times and it appears the situation is fluid.

If you go to the same link provided here in this thread, you will find the option of looking at "room heaters" or "central heaters".

From that list, you can see which units have an AVERAGE overall efficiency. That percentage on the site (posted by EPA) comes from the actual test report.

So long at the value is 75% or more on the EPA site, it is applies. What some manufacturers are lobbying for is that if any individual run is 75% or more during testing it should apply. Legislative staff, EPA and most manufacturers support the AVERAGE overall efficiency.

Yes, the list is a living document as new products come to market. If you need specifics, call the manufacturers and ask them if they have something in the works.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
If you go to the same link provided here in this thread, you will find the option of looking at "room heaters" or "central heaters".

From that list, you can see which units have an AVERAGE overall efficiency. That percentage on the site (posted by EPA) comes from the actual test report.

So long at the value is 75% or more on the EPA site, it is applies. What some manufacturers are lobbying for is that if any individual run is 75% or more during testing it should apply. Legislative staff, EPA and most manufacturers support the AVERAGE overall efficiency.

Yes, the list is a living document as new products come to market. If you need specifics, call the manufacturers and ask them if they have something in the works.
But there are a dozen or so on the central heaters list below 75% "Overall Efficiency -HHV". Some in the 50's, Do they qualify for the rebate?
It seems the guvmet should be basing this on "Emission Rate Annual Avg (lb/mmBTU): the amount of particle air pollution emitted by a central heater in pounds per heat units, expressed in millions of BTUs (British thermal units)."

But there are a dozen or so on the central heaters list below 75% "Overall Efficiency -HHV". Some in the 50's, Do they qualify for the rebate?
It seems the guvmet should be basing this on "Emission Rate Annual Avg (lb/mmBTU): the amount of particle air pollution emitted by a central heater in pounds per heat units, expressed in millions of BTUs (British thermal units)."
They do not. And it's not a rebate, but a Federal tax credit.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
The government already outlawed dirty boilers. This credit is to incentivize your choice for an efficient boiler. Which directly incentivizes the manufacturers of those 50% efficient dinosaurs to get busy improving their designs.

Reactions: sloeffle
The government already outlawed dirty boilers. This credit is to incentivize your choice for an efficient boiler. Which directly incentivizes the manufacturers of those 50% efficient dinosaurs to get busy improving their designs.

I have exactly one neighbor within sight of my house, and he has a dinosaur that eats fresh green wood 12 months a year (he does DHW with it too). The OWB is right on the property line, maybe 100 yards away, and it can fog out the whole area when the wind is right.

I don't understand who wouldn't want a big decrease in their wood-getting and a big increase in their air quality.... how do those 50% guys even sell units?

You can lead a horse to water...
Sometimes you have to hold their head underwater,and kick them in the junk to make them drink...

I have exactly one neighbor within sight of my house, and he has a dinosaur that eats fresh green wood 12 months a year (he does DHW with it too). The OWB is right on the property line, maybe 100 yards away, and it can fog out the whole area when the wind is right.

I don't understand who wouldn't want a big decrease in their wood-getting and a big increase in their air quality.... how do those 50% guys even sell units?

You can have a very clean burning appliance that has very low efficiency. It’s time we uncouple these two specifications. The epa is typically concerned with emissions first. It’s nice to see them also value and reward efficiency as well so that new designs might accomplish high marks for both.

Reactions: sloeffle and jetsam
You can have a very clean burning appliance that has very low efficiency. It’s time we uncouple these two specifications. The epa is typically concerned with emissions first. It’s nice to see them also value and reward efficiency as well so that new designs might accomplish high marks for both.
Yes that is true...
The new generation of on road diesels are clean,but use quite a bit more diesel than the old coal rolling diesels.