New to Forum and Fireplaces, please help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChampBrown

Nov 20, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hello all. I am sure this question has probably come up in the past but could not find a thread with my specific question.

I just bought a new home. Previous owner says fireplace doesn't work. There's black pipe piped in and some gas logs in the fireplace. I followed the pipes to the basement and everything looks relatively new. So I called a chimney inspection company. They said there are some cracks in the chimney and they recommended a $5,000.00 chimney liner.

They lit the fireplace and said all is well except the cracks. I really don't have the extra 5,000 laying around so I looked into liners and self installs.

The only tutorials I can find are ones where they install the bottom end of the liner into the back of a fireplace insert for a "plug and play" type installation.

My problem is .... I have no insert. Just a brick fireplace with a damper. The damper opens and closes smoothly. There is no smoke shelf.

How do I install a liner in this type of fireplace?

The round liners they sell at the big home stores wouldn't fill the large gap once I open the damper. Like I said I have no insert to plug the bottom end of the liner into for a snug fit.

I really want this fireplace functional. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
15112358590221074670401.jpg
15112359055651852980442.jpg