New (To Me) Hearthstone Mansfield 8010

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2008
ATL
Scored a Mansfield off craigslist four months ago for $1K, and finally got around to swapping it out with my old Century stove. Everything looks good with the Hearthstone, both the steel baffle and ceramic blanket are in good shape. After installing a new door and glass gasket and fresh stove paint, she's ready for the first burn.

Does anyone have pointers on how the Mansfields like to run? Any tips will be appreciated.

stove2_zpsqquf5sai.jpg
stove3_zpsgeq3n9qc.jpg

Nice looking unit. Should be interesting how it performs in comparison. I have no experiance running one but like the look.

Reactions: cannonballcobb
Congratulations, that big rock should heat the place more evenly than the Century. Stone stoves emit a gentler heat and that keeps softly radiating after the fire has died down. Running it should not be a lot different. Burn a couple of small fires at the start of the heating season. Then run it per Hearthstone's recommendation in the manual. A stovetop thermometer will be a handy guide.

Reactions: cannonballcobb
Pretty stove, one of my favorites but sooooo heavy to deliver! Anyway, congrats and stay warm.

Thanks, yes she was HEAVY. Thank goodness she only needed to go up two steps from the garage. Three of us managed to get the lifting done with no damaged body parts!

My Mansfield was a workhorse and ran flawlessly for about 9 years, I hated parting with it. If the ash grate gets jogged to the side, unusual hot burns could result from the intake coming from the ash pan section. I never used the ash pan myself. Consider an outside air intake. When you clean the stack suck up the soot that ends up on top of the insulation but try not to suck up the insulation itself. Great stove, you will love it. I bought extra soapstone so I could put water on a surface that I didn't mind scratching. I also had one of those fans that sat on top powered by the heat difference between 2 plates, what is great about those is that from a distance you can tell how hot the stove is just by seeing how fast the fan spins.

Status
Not open for further replies.