New to splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
My first year splitting wood. Until yesterday I've used the Fiskars 4.5 lb splitting axe to further split some wood that was delivered to us but some was a little too big....mixed hardwoods and some split easier than others, but they all split with not too much extra effort. This past weekend I rambled into our woods and cut up 2 downed trees, 1 was a white oak(I think!) and the other a pine. The rounds are about 10 to 12" and the pine splits fairly easy(expected)...but when I took my first swing at the oak the axe just bounced off it(unexpected)! Even trying to start from the edges and work inward was a lot more effort than I anticipated! Do I need a particular approach to this or is there a reason the oak is so darn hard? I've resplit oak before(as mentioned above) and didn't have this. Tested moisture content and it's around 30% if that makes any difference? At this point I may just accumulate more wood and wait ti split it all with a rented hydraulic splitter.

Are you sure it's white oak? White oak typically splits with little effort, even at 30%. Pics?

Also I always get the feeling that when people try to split the larger pieces they expect them to break apart on the first swing. That just is not going to happen a lot. Bigger pieces take a few swings to open them up. But don't keep hitting in the same place. Draw a straight (or as straight as possible) line with the axe. Hit on the far side; hit on the middle, hit on the near side, etc. That is much better than cutting them with the chain saw. I always hate to hear or see that. Better to learn the proper method of splitting.

You probably would have avoided this but you didn't start with a crotch section of the oak did you? I agree with Wet1 that it doesn't sound like white oak.

Ron

Sounds like you have elm.

Sounds like some of the oak we've got down here. There are tons of rounds the mega maul will just bounce off of until I pass out. That's why the $500 I spent in a hydraulic splitter is the best money I've spent in my life! Yes, some splits incredibly easy, but lots are dense and twisted.

I'll try to post some pics....also try the start from far end and work towards myself. I did not expect it to split on the first swing but also didn't expect it to be so uncooperative!

Here is what I'm trying to split. Maybe red oak?

Attachments

• Wood.JPG
    Wood.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 436
Those photos look like Black Cherry to me, and a pretty dry, dead one. Cherry should split fairly easily even when dry, unless you get a knot or crotch. Every tree will have a few sections that are hard to split, but I would expect relatively easy splitting from a cherry. Cherry also seasons relatively quickly, so it isn't a problem to leave a few of the tougher pieces a little larger for long burns. Keep at it. Once you get the hang of it, splitting wood with a splitting axe or a maul is not difficult, it is great excercise, and it is theraputic. Don't give in to the sit-on-your-butt-and-split crowd!

Yep, Black Cherry.....I'd use a wood grenade or spike and blast it apart.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• black_cherry2.jpg
    black_cherry2.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 392
Guess I have a lot to learn on wood ID!! I did check the MC on the freshly cut rounds and it was around 30%...if they are split soon would they be close to 20% by Feb.? I'm guessing that's too soon to reach that level?

If split now, you should be at 25% or less by Feb. Split it a little smaller if you're concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.