New to stoves, please help me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Welp shes been takin apart and put back together again, i added a 12” section going outside so its a little farther away from my outside wall. Its now 2 foot of horizontal piping plus the exhaust, i looked in the manual and everything seems legit. Can anyone approve that a two foot horizontal section is ok,

Welp shes been takin apart and put back together again, i added a 12” section going outside so its a little farther away from my outside wall. Its now 2 foot of horizontal piping plus the exhaust, i looked in the manual and everything seems legit. Can anyone approve that a two foot horizontal section is ok,
Should be fine

I do not see why you added more to outside,but it will keep wall cleaner.You should be well under the max evl.A inside and outside picture(s) might help.

I do not see why you added more to outside,but it will keep wall cleaner.You should be well under the max evl.A inside and outside picture(s) might help.
Nobody would take back the vent so I decided to use it to keep my bricks clean, my buddy has a lot of black shyt on his walls so I wanted to avoid that. My camera took a dump so I cant take pics this min, its vertical 5 foot up to an elbow and two feet plus exhaust tip out

Reactions: Mt Bob
Sounds fine to me,and you will be much happier with the vertical on the inside of the house,more heat retained and stove will burn better.

The pipe on the inside seemed like a good move, the pipe itself gives heat off, i almost wondered if anyones tried to add heating fins to it but thats for another day. I got in touch with my local pellet stove “guy” he said they have “magic spark” pellets, im going to pick a few bags up to see how she handles it

Everything seems to be going good but i sure am getting alot of ash.. by morning time I have a 1inch thick black piece of ash that can be picked up as a hole and thrown out.. why is there so much ash? Im using magic spark pellets”pro pellets” and have tried green supreme, both do the same thing and fill the grate up by morning...also upon startup it uses alot of pellets and some ends up as black ash off the bat because it appears that too many get in at the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal10
Morning Doylee
The black pieces are impurities. When wood is pelletized for use in pellet-burning stoves, those impurities can result in "clinkers." A clinker is a particle that isn't burned during the normal combustion process. Clinkers can also form when minerals in the ash fuse together or when dirt is introduced into the combustion chamber. More and more folks are going to softwood pellets to get away from the amount of ash hardwoods produce. So its the norm.

Never heard or used Magic Spark pellets. But Green Supreme pellets are know to be very ashy and not that great of a pellet.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Hmm its strange but I only get about 10 hours on 1 heat and it starts suffocating the air in the burnpot with ash.. seems like its alot of wear and tear on the lower auger having to push the new pellets out ontop of a mounding pile of black hard ash... ive just been turning it off and waiting for embers to go out then emtying it in the lower ash catcher area, then cleaning that every 3 days but its a bit of a pain, and there will be nights in the soon future where ill be gone untill the next afternoon

Check you manual for routine maintenance. You should scrape your plate once a day

Welp the vent i used to extend the wall thimble to the brick is b grade vent.. im gonna go in there yet again and change it out... can anyone lead me to a decent 7” pipe with a flared end so i can fit it over the existing 7” pipe.. can i use just a 7” single wall vent”? Cant find one thats flaired tho. I was gonna go buy a thimble and cut off the inner diameter pipe but the thing costs 60 bucks. Will this snap lock pipe I found work. Also do i need something to join the two 7” pipes together or how do they connect to eachother? https://www.northlineexpress.com/7-...H4kD4EoU8-JoFoJvrXSJ5kdKoyaeaZnhoCYPwQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
Woke up today to a cold house, stove was off.. the burn pot was full to the brim with unburnt new pellets.. any idea what happened? Seemed to restart ok

What kind of stove ? Could be as simple as pellets bridging the bin opening and starving the burn pot until the fire goes out then they fall into the augers and feed until the stove shuts down

I have a pdv but basically the same stove. At the bottom of your hopper there is a plate that is adjustable. If your pellets have longer ones mixed in and the plate is adjusted closed to far the longer pellets will lay across the opening and block the others from passing through.i have mine adjusted about half way open maybe alittle more

Reactions: Doylee4693
Bridging the opening. Pellets will settle in the hopper and not fall into the auger hole, they hold themselves. Now a vibrating auger motor or blower, you opening the door could alow them to fall again. Many reasons you can get a flame out.

Reactions: Doylee4693
Ok il check the plate right now, and see how its adjusted.. yes my pellets have longer ones mixed in..its quite the mix actually.. il edit this post with update when i finish...

Morning folks! Its 17 here right now and im chilly as can be. Anyway my stove is letting off good heat on one side while the other side is cool at best. Is this normal operation? Im at 2-9 and the bottom three is 5-4-1..

Morning folks! Its 17 here right now and im chilly as can be. Anyway my stove is letting off good heat on one side while the other side is cool at best. Is this normal operation? Im at 2-9 and the bottom three is 5-4-1..
Yea pretty much with these stoves. For some reason they run cooler on one side . If your chilly turn it up, I had to turn mine up this morning to 6-7

Morning Doylee. Yeah its cooler on the rt side ( as you face stove) because the convection blower is mounted on that side and it blows directly on the the heat exchanger there.

Alright sounds good. Fyi i try to google this stuff before asking, trying not to ask the same question for the millionth time haha.. im gonna have to crank her up a little, its windy and cold today.. stay warm

Well i came out to a suprise today, my pellets that are stored in my garage are all wet in the middle from what looks like condensation... im stumped here... they look usable but how to i stop this from happening? Crazy haha

Thats one reason why i get 10-12 bags a week. I dont have a good place to store them. Sort out the good and spread the rest on icy sidwalks o_O