New to the forum...long time reader..immediate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hailoffire

Feb 16, 2021
Elon, NC
Hey everyone. First post to the forum and love all of the info here. I am going to look at a fireplace insert this evening and its quite a ride from me. Can anyone tell by the pics if this is a triple walled unit or not? The people who posted it are older folks and I have asked them to send more pics but I thought I would throw it out to the forum. I believe this is a 27000 Buck

insert.jpg insert2.jpg

It's not clear what is being asked. Triple-wall generally refers to a metal chimney and not to stove design. If the stove has been installed like this for decades then there is a good chance that this is a slammer install with no direct connection to the chimney. Pulling the insert out 6" would permit inspection to check this out.

If you are thinking of buying it, plan on installing a proper liner for the Buck.

Probably is, but they came in different configuration. Can't be sure. Assume it will need new blower motor and electronics if it has a blower.

It's not clear what is being asked. Triple-wall generally refers to a metal chimney and not to stove design. If the stove has been installed like this for decades then there is a good chance that this is a slammer install with no direct connection to the chimney. Pulling the insert out 6" would permit inspection to check this out. Or ask the chimney sweep that has been cleaning the chimney.

The guy who is selling it had his sons remove it from his fireplace and there was no direct connection to the chimney. He is asking $1500

Probably is, but they came in different configuration. Can't be sure. Assume it will need new blower motor and electronics if it has a blower.
I will plug it in when I get there to be sure but he said the blower still works. He went to gas insert after he bought the house

The guy who is selling it had his sons remove it from his fireplace and there was no direct connection to the chimney. He is asking $1500
That gave me a chuckle. It's worth about $150. Don't bother, for $1500 you can get a new, much more efficient insert.

Reactions: SpaceBus
$1500 only if scrap steel price goes to $1000 per pound

Put that 1500 toward a nice new clean burning unit.

I think its a Bat Cave Carolina stove the side vents on a Buck are raised the bottom vents don't look right either handles are differnt but that could have been changed regardless if its a Buck or knock off not worth dragging home.

I also see some issues comparing it to the classic buck. I have seen some different configurations.