New to the world of Fireplace inserts ( name that insert?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

04QSDW!

Jan 28, 2020
Me and my fiance are in the process( final steps) of buying a double wide "mobile home." Why I say it that way is its more of a modular home than a trailer for the fact that everything that makes it movable gets removed and it then is permanently secured to the ground on a foundation or piers. Anyway, this double wide we are getting has a wood burning fireplace insert that I can not find anything on or about. the home is a 2004 champion gold metal so its not like the insert is that old that there shouldn't be information on it.

we're moving it to our property which has about 7 acres of woods and then another almost 200 acres of family land that is mountain/ wooded neighboring it. So it would almost be a senseless decision not to take advantage of the resources we have! I'm the type of guy that loves to research new things I get into, inside and out, and since this would be new to us, I really want to find information about this unit but can not! The owners of the double wide have no paperwork on it, they bought the double wide from another party which had it installed and was not given any manuals, user guides etc.

So I figured I would take to the forums, since some of the best help can come from the individuals that have experience on the topics. So, can you guys help name/identify the type of fireplace insert I have?

Info about it:

-house is a 2004, so it cant be older than that
-also being a 2004, I would think it would have to be up-to-code in order to be installed in a "mobile home," so you could say mobile house certified
-it is wood burning
-it does have a blower( just found that out from the owner)
- from the picture, it is arched which might help

even if you dont know, any suggestions, concerns etc or anything else that could help a newbie would be great!

fire resize.jpg

Last edited:
Me and my fiance are in the process( final steps) of buying a double wide "mobile home." Why I say it that way is its more of a modular home than a trailer for the fact that everything that makes it movable gets removed and it then is permanently secured to the ground on a foundation or piers. Anyway, this double wide we are getting has a wood burning fireplace insert that I can not find anything on or about. the home is a 2004 champion gold metal so its not like the insert is that old that there shouldn't be information on it.

we're moving it to our property which has about 7 acres of woods and then another almost 200 acres of family land that is mountain/ wooded neighboring it. So it would almost be a senseless decision not to take advantage of the resources we have! I'm the type of guy that loves to research new things I get into, inside and out, and since this would be new to us, I really want to find information about this unit but can not! The owners of the double wide have no paperwork on it, they bought the double wide from another party which had it installed and was not given any manuals, user guides etc.

So I figured I would take to the forums, since some of the best help can come from the individuals that have experience on the topics. So, can you guys help name/identify the type of fireplace insert I have?

Info about it:

-house is a 2004, so it cant be older than that
-also being a 2004, I would think it would have to be up-to-code in order to be installed in a "mobile home," so you could say mobile house certified
-it is wood burning
-it does have a blower( just found that out from the owner)
- from the picture, it is arched which might help

even if you dont know, any suggestions, concerns etc or anything else that could help a newbie would be great!

View attachment 256083
Well first off you are not looking at a fireplace insert. You are looking at a prefab fireplace commonly referred to as a zero clearance fireplace. There will be a label on the frame behind the doors. That will tell you make and model.

I can tell you that a fireplace like that is not designed to be a heating appliance. They are just built for occasional recreational fires

Well first off you are not looking at a fireplace insert. You are looking at a prefab fireplace commonly referred to as a zero clearance fireplace. There will be a label on the frame behind the doors. That will tell you make and model.

I can tell you that a fireplace like that is not designed to be a heating appliance. They are just built for occasional recreational fires

from what I have seen researching that's what I thought it was for. I was a little confused when the owners said they used it for heating the house one winter, and that it had a blower on it.

Reactions: bholler
from what I have seen researching that's what I thought it was for. I was a little confused when the owners said they used it for heating the house one winter, and that it had a blower on it.
Some people think they are heating their house with a fireplace like that, all the while their furnace is working harder in the back ground. It’s just for looks and the blower is almost worthless.