New to This and Have lots of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all. I have a tri level house with a fireplace in the basement. This summer my in laws upgraded there insert and gave us there old one. It's a Avalon pedelton. I have never lit the fire place before or install a insert so where do I start. I was looking at chimney liners and it seems like the preinsulated are the way to go but where's a good place to order. Thank you and sorry for the dumb questions. I have never done this before and don't want to burn my house down.

Hello all. I have a tri level house with a fireplace in the basement. This summer my in laws upgraded there insert and gave us there old one. It's a Avalon pedelton. I have never lit the fire place before or install a insert so where do I start. I was looking at chimney liners and it seems like the preinsulated are the way to go but where's a good place to order. Thank you and sorry for the dumb questions. I have never done this before and don't want to burn my house down.

Start by getting the chimney inspected. Verify that it's in serviceable condition and that an insulated liner of whatever size your stove needs will fit. Most stoves want 6" or 8".

I wouldn't go shopping for any parts before that step is complete. Nothing like buying 30' of very expensive liner and finding out that you needed to get an ovalized one.

Go to the top and look down with a light. Often times you can see the fireplace floor. If that’s the case, and it’s a 12”x12” tile, then it’s a piece of cake. You can buy liner kits several places online, no real need for a preinsulated liner.

Go to the top and look down with a light. Often times you can see the fireplace floor. If that’s the case, and it’s a 12”x12” tile, then it’s a piece of cake. You can buy liner kits several places online, no real need for a preinsulated liner.
No need for preinsulated but if not you need to get an insulation kit and insulate it yourself

Firts thing you need is to find out what size clay liner you have

Ok thank you I was wondering if I need to get it inspected or since I was going to line it. Can I measure the square clay section that comes out of the cap on the roof for the size. Thank you for all the help I'm new to this kinda thing

Ok thank you I was wondering if I need to get it inspected or since I was going to line it. Can I measure the square clay section that comes out of the cap on the roof for the size. Thank you for all the help I'm new to this kinda thing
If it looks straight forward, you use an insulated liner, and honor clearances around the stove, then I don’t see a reason to have it inspected.

If it looks straight forward, you use an insulated liner, and honor clearances around the stove, then I don’t see a reason to have it inspected.
He knows nothing about fireplaces at all. There could be many problems that an untrained eye wouldnt see but could be quite dangerous. I think an inspection is a very good idea.

Reactions: rox3406
He knows nothing about fireplaces at all. There could be many problems that an untrained eye wouldnt see but could be quite dangerous. I think an inspection is a very good idea.
We all have an opinion. That’s the beauty of this site.
An insulated liner with an insert in a masonry fireplace is hard to mess up. Just trying to save the guy some cash.

We all have an opinion. That’s the beauty of this site.
An insulated liner with an insert in a masonry fireplace is hard to mess up. Just trying to save the guy some cash.
You have never come across a masonry fireplace with serious safely issues? We have seen them with wood in the smoke chamber firebox made with 1" firebrick laid shiner right over framing and any number of other problems. Chimneys with only 3 sides and the clay right against the house and on and on. You cant just assume it was built right

I bet you need permit too. Make sure you get one for Insurance Purposes.
That depends on the area. They are not required here anywhere other than one town.

You have never come across a masonry fireplace with serious safely issues? We have seen them with wood in the smoke chamber firebox made with 1" firebrick laid shiner right over framing and any number of other problems. Chimneys with only 3 sides and the clay right against the house and on and on. You cant just assume it was built right
Honestly, no. Never.
We may have stronger code enforcement in our area?

Honestly, no. Never.
We may have stronger code enforcement in our area?
I am sure you probably do. But many of the places we work on predate codes regardless.