New to wood burning... Got some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmev13

Jul 20, 2019
Long Island, Ny
Hello all,

Looking to buy a free standing stove. I live in a colonial style house located on Long Island. I’ve been on this forum for the last year or so doing some research on different stoves. I know it’s a very subjective topic but I need some help determining which stove to buy. Not really brand but size. I’m really partial to Woodstock Soapstone stoves (however I’m open to other suggestions). I took the fam on a trip up to VT the other week to visit their factory and meet the folks there. The experience was great! The people were friendly and very knowledgeable! On top of that I have not found one bad review of any of their stoves. My original thought was to go with the Progress Hybrid. After talking with the folks there, they steered me to the Fireview. I meant to bring the blueprints but forgot ‍♂️ so I couldn’t really paint the best picture for them if where the stove would be going.

With that being said here are some of my questions and concerns.

My house is about 3500 square feet. I attached a picture of a blue print of the first floor and circled in red where I hope to put the stove. The total square footage of the downstairs is about 1800 sq feet.

One of my major concerns is over heating of the space where the stove is located. With the stove being located between the kitchen and a playroom where we spend a lot of time. Which model stove would you guys recommend the Progress or Fireview?

The next thing is piping and drafting concerns.

The stove will not be going in an existing chimney or fireplace. I’m going to have to run class A chimney pipe on the outside of the house. I had one estimate already and the estimate calls for about 25 to 30 ft of pipe with a set of 45s to go around the soffit.

The Fireview on has rear venting. The Progress has the option of top or rear venting. With either of these setups should I be concerned with creating a good draft?

Sorry for the long winded post but trying to figure out all details before moving forward. If I missing anything else to think about please let me know, again I’m new to this!!

You guys are a wealth of knowledge and I would like to say thanks in advance for all the feedback!!

Dan

Attachments

• E07E4563-5CE1-45CC-A605-5DFEE56353AF.jpeg
    E07E4563-5CE1-45CC-A605-5DFEE56353AF.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 137
The best way to put a stove is in the middle of the space. Also, outside the house pipe sends much of your heat to the outside atmosphere. Best to have the pipe inside with the wood stove in the middle of the house, and to have only the top of the pipe through the roof.

Draft should not be an issue with that tall a chimney, but there may be some smoke spillage when opening the stove door in milder weather until the chimney warms up. The flue system will need more frequent cleaning due to cooler cat stove exhaust and the full exterior exposure. Going up at least a few feet indoors with double-wall stove pipe will help a bit.

The Fireview can vent vertically. It shouldn't overheat the space, especially if you create a convection loop through the front entry space.
Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 10.13.24 AM.png

How tall are your ceilings? That looks like a pretty open space I don't think a progress would get it too hot.

My progress is in a ~400sq ft room with mostly open spaces to the stairs and kitchen totaling 1000sq ft on the first floor. I also only have 8ft ceilings which keeps the warm air lower. I can get the stove room too hot if i keep the fire really stoked but its not that hard to crack a door. My house is moderately leaky but well insulated and it rarely gets colder than the high 20's here.

You shouldn't have any draft issues assuming appropriate make up air.

The fireview is problematic for a non-fireplace install. Huge rear clearance requirements. It’s also a pretty dinky stove. Even the ph is only 2.8 cubic feet.

I would not waste time on a fireview and jump right to a ph or is. Whichever looks best to you. The IS is a better performer.

Last edited: