New to wood burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fetchingdrake

Jun 28, 2011
Central Ontario
Hello all,

Just signed up and wanted to say hello to all. I am in the process of getting set up to burn wood this year and hope to learn all I can.
I just ordered a woodstove today and wonder if any of you have any comments on this stove. The stove is a Pacific Energy Super 27 Step Top, it will be installed in my walkout basement...square footage of my home is 2,000. I all ready cut most of my wood last fall in anticipation of having a stove for this winter, i have also been collecting and cutting what I can this year to try and stockpile a couple years in advance. I have attached a couple photos of some of the gear I have gathered to help! After last years bill on heating oil exceeding $3,000 , i feel this was a smarter decision in the long run.

Attachments

• New to wood burning!
    IMG_0063.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 495
  • New to wood burning!
    IMG_0065.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 501
  • New to wood burning!
    IMG_0066.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 506
Maybe if I'm really good this year Santa will bring me such a nice stove/saw/splitter set-up so my feelings aren't so hurt :lol:

Welcome!

Welcome.

I hope you realize that you'll not cut it with a one-saw plan. There is no limit. Consider a Wild-Thing.

CTYank said:
Welcome.

I hope you realize that you'll not cut it with a one-saw plan. There is no limit. Consider a Wild-Thing.

Welcome, Nice set-up and ... Yes, and as stated above ^^^ You NEED more Saws. LOL

You're off to a good start and welcome!

Do you know how much wood is in those piles? Tough to tell how long they are from the pic.

If you plan on burning all winter I'd say the bare minimum you should plan on having on hand is 4 cords and even that will be cutting things quite close.

pen

DexterDay said:
CTYank said:
Welcome.

Welcome, Nice set-up and ... Yes, and as stated above ^^^ You NEED more Saws. LOL

O K explain to him the importance of more than 1 saw, then I will also know, I have more than 1 but only because I have upgraded. :zip:

Welcome from over the pond too!!!!!!

That wood pile looks great for our winters, not sure about yours though :)

Looks like you have quite the setup already! Glad to hear you are already getting ahead on your wood and you will be happy you did this winter.
As far as the multiple saws I have cut all my wood with one 50cc Husky for about 10 years now and the only time I needed another saw is when I get mine hung up and have to cut it out. (Yes I still make stupid mistakes sometimes :red: ) Would I like another one yes, would I like a 70cc saw heck yeah but in the end I get it done it done and for the amount of time I run a saw every year I can't justify it.

Thanks everyone! I know I do need another saw but will wait until I get more time on a saw to determine what I really want in one. The wood I have stacked there is stuff I have gathered this spring around the house, mostly Birch, Maple and Poplar. I have cut and stacked at least 3 cord last fall up at my hunting property which will be used this winter (just need to borrow a dump trailer to get it home!) That will be next on the to get list as I hate having to borrow from friends. any thoughts on the Super 27? Should I be looking at a different model and or manufacturer?

Thanks for all the imput

Nice.....looks like about a cord already.

You say you are new to woodburning, so I'm assuming that you also have limited experience using those tools ? If so, be mindful of safety above all else, I'd say. If you don't have saw chaps and combo face/head/ear gear, you might want to look into those.

BTW, is your basement a living space, or is it just where you want to/have to site the stove? Some here have experience with trying to warm a house from below, and although it seems like a logical strategy (heat rises....duh!) it is not as efficient as you might think. I'd recommend that you hear from the experienced before you make a final decision.

Burning wood is a lifestyle choice that returns great dividencs, and I'm not just talking about the reduced utility bills....go man!

Welcome to the forum fetchingdrake.

Congratulations on becoming a wood burner. You made a good decision. I'm not too sure about that stove in the basement though but if it is insulated then you may be okay. The trouble of putting stoves in the basement is cement blocks or walls tend to soak up almost all the heat and if it insulated then moving that heat upstairs can be a problem. It would seem to be a natural because heat rises but it can still be a problem getting enough heat up to the other level(s). Good luck.

You are to be commended for stockpiling wood. Too many new burners do not understand the importance in this. But you do because you are already talking about having more than a year's supply of wood. I've usually stated most should have 2-3 years on hand as that will cover the drying process and also give you a cushion so that if something happens that you can't gather wood for a while you will still have heat.

On the two saws. Yes, it can be handy but for the most part is not needed unless one really loves the saws. I've cut with one saw for so many years I'd hate to count all of them and not one time have I felt I needed another saw. In over 50 years of cutting I also have never needed another saw to get me out of a jam like hanging up a saw. Nope. One saw is all I need.

Stihl is still one of the very best saws on the market today.

The Super 27 has a very good reputation as a capable heater. I think you will do well with it. Heating from the basement might prove to be the difficult part. Time will tell.

Don't let these guys get you all worked up about multiple saws, and stay the heck away from a Wild Thing, the saw you currently have will kick its butt.

Looks like you are ahead of the game with your wood gathering - that will cut your learning curve in half. ;-) . You got the equipment to make it happen - heck, you got it go'in on. Congrats.

And welcome to the forum.

ploughboy said:
Nice.....looks like about a cord already.

You say you are new to woodburning, so I'm assuming that you also have limited experience using those tools ? If so, be mindful of safety above all else, I'd say. If you don't have saw chaps and combo face/head/ear gear, you might want to look into those.

BTW, is your basement a living space, or is it just where you want to/have to site the stove? Some here have experience with trying to warm a house from below, and although it seems like a logical strategy (heat rises....duh!) it is not as efficient as you might think. I'd recommend that you hear from the experienced before you make a final decision.

Burning wood is a lifestyle choice that returns great dividencs, and I'm not just talking about the reduced utility bills....go man![/quote

Not new to using a saw as I have been heating the hunt cabin for many many years, have all the caps and face/eye/ear gear. The downstairs is a living space with the Tv room/bar. Hope some heat rises to the main upstairs but think I should be fine as I have a cold air return beside the stove location plus I only like to keep the upstairs bedroom around 62 degrees.........just seem to sleep better in the cold!

Welcome. That Super 27 will do a great job for you. As to the second saw some of us aren't as good at this stuff as Backwoods Savage. I haven't needed that second saw I always take to the woods for retrieving a trapped saw/bar since last Thursday. :red:

And it is small and easier to use for limbing.

Hit the quote button. Then type after the very last thing written.
. Start here.. If that makes sense.. Click your mouse after where it says quote the Last time.. Good luck and Nice toys... I have 3 Saws because I told the Wife I needed a Felling, Bucking, and Pruning Saw.. What you have is plenty good enough and better than most out there.. Unless you want to Rock an 880!!! I want to get a 70cc saw. But I love my 455 Rancher.. Gets the job done just fine..
Congrats again.... Very nice

Full disclosure - I don't carry a second saw, but I DO carry an extra bar and chain. On the rare pinch, I just unbolt the powerhead from the pinched bar and slap on the new bar and chain. I like this option because it does not put the powerhead in any danger.

Jags said:
Full disclosure - I don't carry a second saw, but I DO carry an extra bar and chain. On the rare pinch, I just unbolt the powerhead from the pinched bar and slap on the new bar and chain. I like this option because it does not put the powerhead in any danger.

Now I can justify my second bar

Welcome to the forums. You're off to a good start. With that set of toys you'll fit right in here.

+1 for more wood. Try to cut/split/stack a variety of species. Some hardwoods will take a couple years to properly season. If necessary, buy a cord now to get a head start. It wouldn't surprise me if you burn through 3-4 cords a winter. If the basement is not well insulated, make that 5-6 cords.
+2 for the stove. It's a good heater and will help put a serious dent in that heating bill. Burn dry wood and it is a pussycat to run. Be sure to install it safely and by the book. And remember that the flue is half of the heating engine and equally important. If existing, have it inspected and be sure it is sized correctly. If new, pay close attention to clearances and run it indoors if possible.

As for saws, I only have one, but leave the big stuff (>24") to the boys with the big toys. I know my limits and stay within them.

Welcome to the forum, as others have said, you will eventually want another saw, at least most of us do.

I don't know much about the stove itself but many others here do, and from what I can recall they like the stove.

As far as the wood, you are off to a good start but...... You will most likely burn darn near 3-4 cord over a heating season, I do in PA. That being said you want to have 8-12 cord c/s/s (that is cut/split/stacked) this way you are 3 years ahead and the wood will season properly and god forbid something happens where you are unable to scrounge wood for a year you have a buffer. Getting the initail wood, to get that far ahead is a gigantic job but, it will serve you well. Then if you want you only need to fill that which you burn the year prior and you are still set for 3 years. Just rotate your stock and you are good to go.

All, well 99% of the problems that people have seems to be because they are burning poor fuel. Get three years ahead and you instantly solve 99% of your potential problems!

Spend some time here, ask questions, even those which you feel may be dumb ones, we don't often bite, and even when we do it isn't that hard. You may be able to teach us some things, we may be able to teach you. Participate, and make sure to stop by the woodshed.

Shawn

I think the main reason for the second saw is that your first one sucks. At least that is the reason I want a second saw. When I get my bar stuck I use my Fiskars splitting ax and make a cut to relieve the pressure on my saw.

Keep collecting wood. I think you could easily burn 4 cords per winter, and plenty of guys burn a lot more than that. Your pile looks like around 1 cord to me. It should be in great shape when burning season starts, since it will have been stacked for a year by then.

I think the second saw is so that you can enlist the help of a friend and you can BOTH have some fun with the chainsaws!!

-SF

Welcome to the forum.

PE . . . a lot of folks really love the PE brand.

Wood . . . you will be one of the lucky few who will truly have seasoned wood when you start burning in Year One . . . which will make you much, much happier than about 95% of folks who get the woodstove first and then think about getting the firewood . . . sometime in September.

Toys . . . chainsaw, hydraulic wood splitter and an ATV (what make/model by the way?) . . . you're all set. Like Dennis I have cut wood for many years with just one chainsaw with no issues. Sometimes it helps to have a buddy with a second saw . . . or a spare bar and chain in case you get your saw pinched . . . but honestly you don't need to have a second saw . . . although I surely wouldn't turn down the idea of getting a second saw at some point for the convenience.

Looks like you are set up pretty well. I used to do all my cutting with a 50 cc saw. But now I find it easier to have a blocking saw 71 cc and a limbing saw 45 cc. But then again I am also cutting a lot of cedar. pine and fir logs. And it was to much work trying to throw that big saw around trying to cut off a 100 1" branches per tree.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.