New to wood stoves - what is the best way to control a fire if it gets out of hand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is difficult to determine. It's unknown how much ammonium phosphate was released and how much is remaining as a coating. That said, if you lose power for an extended period of time and have no heat, then the wood stove may be the only option. The system will be safe in the short term. It's longer-term corrosion that is the concern.

Did the thermometers arrive? They should help you burn more confidently.
I have at least an infrared now, I don't believe the magnetic have arrived.

But aside from any differences in burning due to leftover residue, I can confidently run a small fire for heat in the stove at this point. The only issue I had was on reload and I learned a lot from that as well. My primary concern would be safe operation and secondly my concern would be long term corrosion. I can always sweep the chimney next week instead. I don't really know what effects on fire the residue would have nor on the fumes released as I believe it breaks down around 500 degrees into ammonia.

The temp here is only going to get down to about 25 degrees, so I can live without the heat. I'd rather sit inside under a blanket than sit outside in the ice while I try to figure out how to remove toxic fumes from my house. But - if it's safe I'd like to run it. I don't like the cold. It's why I bought the stove.

Whatever the decision, be safe. Ice storms can be treacherous to drive in and can do a lot of damage. For temperature guidance refer to this posting and ask questions if help is needed.

Reactions: nopolis
The degradation products of the mono ammonium phosphate are not going to cause an issue for you if they go up the chimney. It happens over time with temperature.

Run-aways are nerve wrecking and can be caused by many issues including a perfect load. I just finished full automation to my setup that prevents run-aways. This automation does not alter the stove in any way. Not an easy task, custom designed with electronics and DIY air intake duct damper and control. My circulation fan are also controlled. I would learn to tone up & down your air intake in fine increments. it took me like forever to fine the sweet spots with the manual positioner on my stove.