New tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I bought myself a Christmas gift. Anybody want to guess?

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 622
The new Fiskars X72? :lol:

I had Peavey make a Pickeroon with a 6' handle for me.

photo2.jpg

Now I can unload my truck with both feet firmly planted on the ground.

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

I used to have to climb up onto the truck and pull the logs to the tailgate with the 36" one. If the Pickeroon lost its bite, I would occasionally go flying off the back of the truck usually into the wheelbarrow or a pile of split wood. This thing is almost as good as a dump truck! Maybe even better because I don't have to bend over to pick up the rounds and put them on my chopping block. Just swing them down from the tailgate. I love this thing. The 36" one is great for handling rounds and logs as I cut too!
DSC06695.jpg

Now that's a great idea! :coolsmirk:

Nice tool Steve. That will ease your work load a lot.

Its the old work smart not hard thing. As I'm getting older, I'm starting to get smart. I have a few years to go yet, but I at least I have started.

When I grow up maybe I'll be like you Steve!

Nice. I have a 36" on the way, should have gone long. Guess I need to order another one. :)

You need a long and a short one. I think the long one was all of $75 or so with shipping and it was at my house in 2 or three days. They are a great company to deal with. www.peaveymfg.com

where do you get those great picks? cost? thanx, art

sorry guys. shoulda looked before i shot! art

Great for guys with short arms. I have arms like an ape so my pulp hook works for me.

Decades ago, I had a pickaroon with a really deep eye, like an axe has. It held tight under heavy use. Unfortunately it grew legs. I could never find another one with a deep eye. I settled on one with a shallow head but it kept working itself loose and I'd have to reset it. After it too grew legs, I vowed not to buy another shallow one but have yet to find one with a deep eye.

LLigetfa said:
Great for guys with short arms. I have arms like an ape so my pulp hook works for me.

You can reach rounds all the way in the front of an 8' bed pickup truck with a pulp hook? Do you walk on you knuckles too?

Katahdin. I had no idea what to get. This is what they recommended based on what i told them I wanted to do with it.

Flatbedford said:
You can reach rounds all the way in the front of an 8' bed pickup truck with a pulp hook? Do you walk on you knuckles too?
Ja, my knuckles almost drag on the ground but then I don't have a pickup with 8 foot bed. I think a 4 foot handle would be about as long a handle I'd want. I was joking about the pulp hook but making do with it.

Just got a 36" pickaroon from LogRite (alum tool with bright blue powder-coat) a couple months back. (With the rear gate down, I can reach the cab window on my p/u, barely.) Great tool, makes it seem like you've 6' arms, to reach easily across piles, and drag stuff without bending, while keeping your hands clear of the mayhem on the ground.

Fella helping me clean up some big snow-storm damage recently figured out really quickly how to operate it, and reduce stress-testing of his back.

Honestly though, Steve, that 6' pickaroon looks more like a quarter-staff for Little John than something a NE logger/sawyer would use!

Neat idea . . . I was going to guess a mortar and pestle by the way.

Flatbedford said:
I had Peavey make a Pickeroon with a 6' handle for me.

photo2.jpg

Now I can unload my truck with both feet firmly planted on the ground.

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

I used to have to climb up onto the truck and pull the logs to the tailgate with the 36" one. If the Pickeroon lost its bite, I would occasionally go flying off the back of the truck usually into the wheelbarrow or a pile of split wood. This thing is almost as good as a dump truck! Maybe even better because I don't have to bend over to pick up the rounds and put them on my chopping block. Just swing them down from the tailgate. I love this thing. The 36" one is great for handling rounds and logs as I cut too!
DSC06695.jpg

Looks like its worth having around....

CTYank said:
that 6' pickaroon looks more like a quarter-staff for Little John than something a NE logger/sawyer would use!

It is a custom length. I wonder if anybody else has one like this. It does feel a little weird using it, but I do like it. I figure it saved me a couple thousand dollars in dump hoist and potential doctor bills.

I just use a hoe to pull wood off the truck.

I can see that working pretty well too. The sharp point of the Pickeroon probably makes it easier to grab stuff though.

I have the 36" Katahdin and love it for doing exactly what you are using it for - I have a 6' bed, but a cap, and climbing in to get wood toward the cab was not fun. I wish the handle was about 6" longer, because my arms are about as short as Ll's are long. Pretty sweet tool - can you order to any specific size? Cheers!

Peavey will make them in various sizes from 15" to 6'. Call them they are very helpful on the phone. I posted a link above.

Status
Not open for further replies.