New Toy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I know this is off topic of woodstoves, so I put this here- yesterday, my 1 yr old weedwacker self destructed- went to the web loooking for a new one, and found Troy Built 4 cycle weedwacker that also takes five or six attachments.. I like the idea of 4-cycle- no mixing gas and oil, burns cleaner, etc.. Took the leap, bought it.. almost $200.. no attachments other than the trimmer head-=- THIS THING IS AWESOME!!! it's quiet, light weight, powerful, and very little vibration..

Yes, that's why I didn't check in yesterday..

Bob

For destructive purposes I'm more of a weedburner/flamthrower type of guy. Maybe they'll come up with one that runs on hydrogen :)

I bought the same exact whacker about a month ago. Works great!

I can't say anything about that model, but I've used a few of the Stihl 4-mix hedge trimmers and they are pretty bitchin units, at least from personal experience. Don't know what the general consensus on them is

so far, have cleaned up my property, my neighbors front yard.and used up all the string it came with.. It seems to burn really clean, no blue smoke like my neighbor has coming out of his. This is way more powerful than the electric one I had..I am going to get the tiller attachment next weekend..

I'd also recommend the edger if you have concrete (driveway or sidewalk). I also have the 'pole saw' attachment, and it kind of works, but it's probably only 20% the saw the real Stihl poe saw is (for about 20% of the cost...)

And yes, MSG, the saw blade thing works great. Our 1.5 acre lot was untended for about 15 yrs, and shrunk to about 1/4 acres right around the house, the rest being woody and non-woody crap. The blade doesn;t care until it hits something about 1.5 inches across.

Steve

I have the same weed wacker also. Love the power and dependability of the 4 stroke engine (***grunts like Tim the Tool Man***). The edger attachment also works well.

Hey, this is the green room
If you want to destroy stuff (LOL!) use a Machete............ just be sure you register it if you live in Massachusetts

I have the Ryobi that takes attachments
The roto-tiler works great for smaller beds but I still fire up the Husky for the big work

Im moving this to the Gear room. Good thread! I will leave a moved tag in here for a bit so people know where it went.

In my research, I have figured out the attachments I need to go completely cordless--

1. Edger- not really nescessary, because you can flip the trimmer attachment over 90 degrees, and it makes a pretty clean edge-some skill involved, so the edging will look better as I become familiar with the equipment.

2. Blower- this attachment will be a convenience, but I am concerned about the power.

3. Cultivator- My garden soil is sandy, so just a top mixing is nescessary=- adding compost, etc.

With these attachments, i will be completely cordless-- VERY Happy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.