New tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
Our new tractor finally came in. They delivered it today. We ordered back in August. Its a john deere 3033r. Can't wait to put it to work. One thing for sure is, gonna need some more weight in the back.

20211124_162206.jpg

Reactions: rottiman
Plenty of stuff to do with it. Just gotta find time to do it. Stupid time change

Plenty of stuff to do with it. Just gotta find time to do it. Stupid time change
I agree, they should get rid of it. On average, what do you get for low temps in the winter? I have a battery maintainer hooked up to the battery on our 4540 because of the colder weather in the winter time and even in the summer.

Works lights? A couple on the front and back should light up the place.

Beet juice. It's heavier, and less corrosive.
We are probably going to add a couple lights the rear. The front are pretty bright. I was thinking beet juice or rim guard because it is heavier pound per gallon. Just have to find a place in town that has them.

I agree, they should get rid of it. On average, what do you get for low temps in the winter? I have a battery maintainer hooked up to the battery on our 4540 because of the colder weather in the winter time and even in the summer.
I live in southeast MO and the coldest it's been in the fast few years was -4°for few days. We get the hot humid summer days. I have a battery maintainer I can put on it in the winter. That's a good idea especially since the tractor won't get used everyday. Which is a bummer. It's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home.

Nice, even though it is the wrong color.....LOL . Good luck and enjoy. You'll end up "making it yours" for sure. Men have a tendency of making their trucks, tractors and guns a personal thing.

Wrong color?!! Lol. I knew that was coming. My dad and I aren't brand loyal. On the farm we have 2 no 3 deeres, and kubotas. We looked and did a lot of research. First one we looked at was a kubota l3560se. Loved the tractor but it was a little too big for what we wanted it for. The comparable size kubota to the deere 3r series would have been the l kubota l01 series. I my self did not care for them. Hydrostats are extremely loud and the pedal was a deal breaker. Dealers also plaid a big factor. Kubota/new holland and deere dealers are all local. We thought about mahindra, ls, branson, kioti, all those dealers except kioti have came and gone over the years. Kioti won't have any tractors in for another 6 months. So parts is what worried me about the other brands. And also we priced a kioti and deere wasn't as far off as I thought it would be plus snp is offering a 10yr powertrain warranty

The coldest we have had so far this winter was 5 degrees. Weather here in Missouri is absolutely crazy. It might be 60 during the day go into the single digits at night and be like that for a day or too. Then it will stay cold for a week then warm up. It's definitely not consistent. I got the tractor out when it was in the teens to push some snow and it started right up. The glow plugs were only on a few seconds.

New tractor here also -CK4010. What kind of attachments have you thought of. Compact tractor attachments (https://www.ctattachments.com/) makes a few attachments specifically for Deere and also quick tach for your size. I got the 55" grapple. It's a very tough unit. I did get 500lb of rim gaurd added, and am thinking at the moment about some kind of 3pt counterwt for the back.

0105221105~3.jpg

Congrats. I wanted my tractor a long time before I finally got it.
I've had the JD 3032e with an FEL for about 10 years.
Not that you asked but the first upgrades I'd suggest are rear tire chains and pallet forks.
I have a variety of attachments, the pallet forks being the most recent. I would have bought them first if I'd have known how useful they are.
I'd note also that I'm concerned about the plastic fenders and hood. I tend to keep equipment for a long time and I have a 25 year-old JD mower with disintegrating plastic body panels that are no longer available or way too expensive.

Last edited:
Congrats. I wanted my tractor a long time before I finally got it.
I've had the JD 3032e with an FEL for about 10 years.
Not that you asked but the first upgrades I'd suggest are rear tire chains and pallet forks.
I have a variety of attachments, the pallet forks being the most recent. I would have bought them first if I'd have known how useful they are.
I'd note also that I'm concerned about the plastic fenders and hood. I tend to keep equipment for a long time and I have a 25 year-old JD mower with disintegrating plastic body panels that are no longer available or way too expensive.
I have set of pallet forks aleady. I had them for our other tractor and bought the deere style mounts for them. The forks are on the tractor most if the time. We pushed snow last weekend

New tractor here also -CK4010. What kind of attachments have you thought of. Compact tractor attachments (https://www.ctattachments.com/) makes a few attachments specifically for Deere and also quick tach for your size. I got the 55" grapple. It's a very tough unit. I did get 500lb of rim gaurd added, and am thinking at the moment about some kind of 3pt counterwt for the back.

View attachment 292086
We have fluid in the rear tires and 3 weights on each side. Still not quite enough. We have a set of pallet forks I made. As soon as we get the 3rd hydraulic function, I would like to get a grapple. I am also making an adapter to go from john deere to skid steer quick attach. Something deere should come standard with. These little tractors have more hydraulic power than what they can hold down. Nice tractor by the way.

Reactions: Sawset

View attachment 292086
Did you go with the se model? Also hydrostat or shuttle shift? We looked a couple of kioti's 35 and 40hp ck series. They are nice tractors.

It's the ck4010se with hydrostatic. I spent a long time investigating. Was leaning more toward a boomer40, mostly because several others I know have something similar, so I was more familiar with them. But when I was finally ready around November, wouldnt you know, none in stock, and orders were 1yr out. And no other 40hp in any other brands within 1hr radius other than Kioti or Kubota. For some reason I can't get the cheap 70s import for kubota out of my head. And Deere - my grandfather sold deere equipment in the 50s and was forced out (by deere) due to low sales. The dealer we've gone to since the 90s, same thing, forced out just this last yr. The one deere dealer left in the area, uhm, fancy glitzy and fast talking. Nice showroom for stuff that roots around in the dirt. (Nothing against deere though, we've owned several, and they are all very nice to use and maintain.)One thing I realized also is how many models are actually contracted out to other manufacturers. Most of the larger manufacturers seem to do that.

It's the ck4010se with hydrostatic. I spent a long time investigating. Was leaning more toward a boomer40, mostly because several others I know have something similar, so I was more familiar with them. But when I was finally ready around November, wouldnt you know, none in stock, and orders were 1yr out. And no other 40hp in any other brands within 1hr radius other than Kioti or Kubota. For some reason I can't get the cheap 70s import for kubota out of my head. And Deere - my grandfather sold deere equipment in the 50s and was forced out (by deere) due to low sales. The dealer we've gone to since the 90s, same thing, forced out just this last yr. The one deere dealer left in the area, uhm, fancy glitzy and fast talking. Nice showroom for stuff that roots around in the dirt. (Nothing against deere though, we've owned several, and they are all very nice to use and maintain.)One thing I realized also is how many models are actually contracted out to other manufacturers. Most of the larger manufacturers seem to do that.
Our local kubota/New holland dealer didn't recommend new holland under 60hp. He said kubota was a better tractor. The new holland and caseih is a ls rebranded tractor. Dealer support means everything. The kiotis we look at were nice but they were spoken for. They said it would be at least 6months before the next tractors to arrive. When we were looking, I was thinking about the future, service and parts availability and resale. John deere and kubota have the best of both in my opinion. Both companies have never sold or been bought out. I should never worry about getting parts or service. That's just the way I think though.

New holland dealer didn't recommend new holland under 60hp. He said kubota was a better tractor.
Same here. That's what turned things in a different direction. You definitely can't go wrong with parts availability. Just about all of the companies I've worked for had some contracts to make aftermarket Deere parts. Some of those parts dated back a very long time.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Same here. That's what turned things in a different direction. You definitely can't go wrong with parts availability. Just about all of the companies I've worked for had some contracts to make aftermarket Deere parts. Some of those parts dated back a very long time.
And really in the end all things set aside, as long as you are happy with the purchase you made, that's all that matters. Everyone has their own reasoning for thier purchases. And they are all over priced. 😆

Our new tractor finally came in. They delivered it today. We ordered back in August. Its a john deere 3033r. Can't wait to put it to work. One thing for sure is, gonna need some more weight in the back.

View attachment 286279
I have the same tractor, same loader, but with the 61" Heavy Duty bucket and heavy turf tires loaded with bio ballast. Great machine, even though Deere managed to inject a few build errors on mine. I bought new in Dec. 2019.

Let me know if you have any questions. I definitely recommend the forward-looking LED lights on the ROPS, plus the rear-looking halogens, if you use it much at night. Wiring is already there, all you need is the brush guard sets to install the LEDs.

This machine is heavy enough to run a light grapple, if you ordered it with the third hydraulic pair option. I use that channel hydraulic top link for various implements, but redirect it to plow angle when plowing snow. You just need the plumbing kit to bring that channel forward from the rear.

I assume you already have a few with Tier 4 exhaust filters?

I have the same tractor, same loader, but with the 61" Heavy Duty bucket and heavy turf tires loaded with bio ballast. Great machine, even though Deere managed to inject a few build errors on mine. I bought new in Dec. 2019.

Let me know if you have any questions. I definitely recommend the forward-looking LED lights on the ROPS, plus the rear-looking halogens, if you use it much at night. Wiring is already there, all you need is the brush guard sets to install the LEDs.

This machine is heavy enough to run a light grapple, if you ordered it with the third hydraulic pair option. I use that channel hydraulic top link for various implements, but redirect it to plow angle when plowing snow. You just need the plumbing kit to bring that channel forward from the rear.

I assume you already have a few with Tier 4 exhaust filters?
Thanks. We should have got the 3rd function when we ordered it but didn't. The equipment at work are all tier4 and 2 machines run Def and also does the newer roll off truck. We are very pleased with the tractor. It's very smooth operating and they hydro is very quiet. The engine on the other hand is a little on the noisy side in my opinion

Thanks. We should have got the 3rd function when we ordered it but didn't. The equipment at work are all tier4 and 2 machines run Def and also does the newer roll off truck. We are very pleased with the tractor. It's very smooth operating and they hydro is very quiet. The engine on the other hand is a little on the noisy side in my opinion
Yeah, the 3033R has a real quiet hydro pump. I was blown away at how loud the hydro was on my old 855, after I had driven this new 3033R for a week, and then had to hop back onto the old tractor for something. The engine noise seems to be roughly similar to my memory of the old 750, and then my 855, but none of them have been real quiet.

I got my 3rd function free with the mid-PTO, which I had ordered in case I ever wanted a front implement (most likely snowblower), and because I thought it might help resale value. I think they force 3rd function in the mid-PTO package because it's assumed you're buying the mid-PTO to run a mower deck (I wasn't), and deck up/down requires it. But I think the 3rd function without mid-PTO is actually a dealer-installed option, which if correct, means you can always add it later. In fact, I got the impression you can do the 4th/5th package, without even having to add the 3rd, if you ever needed two more hydraulic functions.

I do love the loader removal on this machine. Still gotta do hydraulic fittings, I didn't get the quick-disconnect hose assembly (not sure it's even available for 6 hoses), but that's not a huge deal. I am using the machine for moving firewood logs and rounds, plowing snow off asphalt, seeding, fertilizing, plug aerating. and occasional brush-hogging trails thru the woods with a rotary flail mower. It's nice to drop the loader to increase lawn speed and maneuverability when seeding, fertilizing, or aerating.

Loader visibility is not as good as my prior two machines, and this tractor is at the large end of what's practical for lawn chores, but I needed the loader capacity for moving logs off my trailer. Half-flipped my 855 too many times, and while I was getting alarmingly good at balancing a tractor on its front wheels, I was really due for something bigger. The 320R loader on the 3033R can pick up the old 855, with it's implements removed. :)

And because I know that last paragraph is just an invitation for every troll on this forum to pull out their soapbox and give a safety lecture... yes, I know you can flip a heavier machine just as easily as a lighter one, especially if not properly ballasted. However, there's a machine for every job, and in my case, my old machine was just too small for the job I was doing.

Last edited:
I noticed the loader visibility isn't that great due to the wide hood. Thanks to the dpf. It sounds like it's a very capable tractor and you have quite a bit of experience on it. I sold an old case 220 lawn mower and I was able to use my forks and pick it up from the front going long ways and load it in the back of an f250. It didn't struggle one bit. I know there are more hydraulic functions we can add in the future. Right now we mainly use the pallet forks..

Reactions: Ashful
Just found the post about the hooks I welded to the top of my bucket. If you're not going to buy a grapple, this is my preferred way of moving logs. Lay down two 10' chains with a slip hook on one end, roll log onto chains, cinch and hook to bucket. You can pick up and move logs like a grapple. I also use these hooks for skidding, and many other uses.

Reactions: duramaxman05