Bucking Ergonomics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Or you can sit in a warm cab and watch other people work

Attachments

• 88AD1208-9930-418D-8642-59F13DE76DCD.jpeg
    88AD1208-9930-418D-8642-59F13DE76DCD.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: jmb6420
Or you can sit in a warm cab and watch other people work

Nah... I’d rather do the work. I sit at a desk all day while earning my living. A big part of this heating with wood thing for me is the physical labor, and being outdoors.

Nah... I’d rather do the work. I sit at a desk all day while earning my living. A big part of this heating with wood thing for me is the physical labor, and being outdoors.
I agree. This actually is not how I farm my firewood either. This is at my Neigbor’s house. He was out of town on a hunting trip and grossly underestimated the amount of firewood he needed for his outdoor furnace to keep his two kilns running. So I had to grab my employees and spend a couple hours processing firewood. For myself now, me and a cut buddy head out to a 100 acre lot with chainsaws and pickup trucks.

It would have been easier to say "make a teeter totter" out of the log.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Northern tool 37t splitter

I may try your fulcrum method this holiday weekend. I hope to get out and cut some wood

Does anyone have an ergonomic method for bucking logs without bending to the ground that they'd like to share? My back hurts constantly and bucking logs on the ground Is uncomfortable. I have a tractor to aid in moving logs. I was thinking that getting some pallet forks might help to get them off the ground but I think balance would become an issue as you cut.

Thanks!

i take 2.sets of pallets and set them next together and make 1 cutting table 4x8ft long.. i take my machine and place the log lent on top and cut my rounds.. no bending over nor working on the ground

As others have suggested ... I have a small John Deere 2025R , I have chain hooks attached to the bucket, I use a chain and Log tongs to lift a log up and cut it into lengths. Works for me, of course I can't lift huge logs :)

As others have suggested ... I have a small John Deere 2025R , I have chain hooks attached to the bucket, I use a chain and Log tongs to lift a log up and cut it into lengths. Works for me, of course I can't lift huge logs :)
I’d take your “little” 2R over any larger E, at least your loader is removable. I seriously debated the “big” 2R’s before going with a 3R, and often think I might have been better if with a 2032R or 2038R, than what I have now.

Did you get the HD bucket with the dual eyes? I really liked that bucket, but it wasn’t available in sizes appropriate for the 3R, so I had to weld up my own.

Ashful,
I got my hooks from Ken's Bolt on Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com/
Easy to install pus I got the Shackles on the inside of the bucket. I really find them useful.
I also got the 48 inch pallet forks, handy for moving wood stacked on Pallets, or holding a log to buck up.
The Bucket and the forks are "Quick hook" I can change out in less than 5 minutes :)

Ashful,
I got my hooks from Ken's Bolt on Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com/
Easy to install pus I got the Shackles on the inside of the bucket. I really find them useful.
I also got the 48 inch pallet forks, handy for moving wood stacked on Pallets, or holding a log to buck up.
The Bucket and the forks are "Quick hook" I can change out in less than 5 minutes :)
Cool. Yeah, I’m familiar with Ken’s, they make some great accessories. But they’re not a great option for the double-walled HD bucket, unless you want to weld crush sleeves into the double top plate of that bucket. So, I just welded my hooks on. The only down-side is my paint isn’t nearly as hard as the factory finish, but perhaps I’ll take the time to do a more proper re-paint with a 2-part product, if this stuff doesn’t hold up well enough.

C64A9FF7-A239-441C-8BF7-FA03C911D5E9.jpeg

Reactions: GrumpyOldMan
Just use it ..the dirt and rust will hide it .... ;)

Reactions: Ashful
Looks Great Ashful ! You could always use an epoxy paint if you are concerned. But it looks great... I like the 3 hooks... I only have the two.

Bucket-Hooks.JPG