Bucking Ergonomics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PistolPeets

Jan 1, 2019
Upstate New York
Does anyone have an ergonomic method for bucking logs without bending to the ground that they'd like to share? My back hurts constantly and bucking logs on the ground Is uncomfortable. I have a tractor to aid in moving logs. I was thinking that getting some pallet forks might help to get them off the ground but I think balance would become an issue as you cut.

Thanks!

Depending on size & length of your logs and the weight of your tractor, I like to lift one end, put a block under the log about 1/4 distance from end and then use the block as a fulcrum. Push down on the short end of the log with your tractor bucket to raise the remaining log up to the height that is comfortable for you.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Northern tool 37t splitter

It would have been easier to say "make a teeter totter" out of the log.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Never thought of that. How do you stabilize the log? Do you have a block of log with a notch in it or something that your long working piece rests on?

I have a larger sized homemade log jack. Heavy pipe handle, weighs about 50 pounds. Grabs and lifts most of my logs up in the air and holds them there for bucking. Really saves the back, and the chain by getting the wood off the ground. Works up to 28" diameter, bigger/heavier than that and I use forks on the bucket of the loader.

Does anyone have an ergonomic method for bucking logs without bending to the ground that they'd like to share? My back hurts constantly and bucking logs on the ground Is uncomfortable. I have a tractor to aid in moving logs. I was thinking that getting some pallet forks might help to get them off the ground but I think balance would become an issue as you cut.

Thanks!

Grapple on your tractor’s loader. Short of that, bend at the knees!

Teeter totters and other such methods, are actually more work and likely harder on your sore back, than they’re worth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Osage and Zack R
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into getting pallet forks and possibly trying the teeter-totter method. I wish I had a grapple! I don't even have the hydraulic hook ups for a grapple on my machine - it's pretty plain Jane. I've looked into the log jacks but the ones I've seen only get the logs off the ground a couple of inches. I'd like to work at a comfortable standing height if at all possible.

Hook this up with a chain to your tractor bucket.
0dafe939528c552aef166ce0f634c8c5.jpg

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

We use pallet forks on our tractor to raise the log up to cut. You just have to make sure you dont hit a fork or mast with the chainsaw. It dulls the chain rather quick. Also a mini excavator with a thumb is about as good as it gets for that as well.

We use pallet forks on our tractor to raise the log up to cut. You just have to make sure you dont hit a fork or mast with the chainsaw. It dulls the chain rather quick. Also a mini excavator with a thumb is about as good as it gets for that as well.
You can also ratchet strap the log to the fork mast to help hold it.

There is a difference between "Skidding" & "Lifting" tongs. I am very cautious about the idea due to safety and maintenance concerns.
My colleague uses this from his front bucket and he loves it. They are cheap enough to try out to see if you like them.

Screenshot_2019-12-12-04-13-56~2.png

My back is bad so I now use this method

works for me

Reactions: Gearhead660
Since you have a tractor do a search for log cutting or log bucking tables. Wolfe ridge manufacturing from Eau Claire Wisconsin manufactures one to give you some ideas. I have forks on my tractor and pick them up and cut, it works but not ideal. You have to cut from both ends to keep the log balanced or it falls off forks. A grapple would work good I’d think. A picaroon or hookaroon for picking up rounds is a real back saver, my favorite new tool. I use a hookaroon to load my tractor bucket at ground level then go to splitter with the bucket at splitter level split the wood and put back in bucket and Go stack it. Not the fastest way but never bend over really saves the old back. if your splitter is low you may want to make some ramps to raise it up so you can stand straight up to split makes a huge difference too.

I have a tractor, and I have forks on it, but I’d still not waste my time using it for bucking logs. Maybe I’ll change my perspective when I get too old and out of shape to squat 30 seconds while bucking a round off a log, but all of these suggestions seem like an enormous waste of time, and way too slow to be practical to process wood at the speed required by any working man who’s trying to heat his house with wood.

I processed a dozen 15-foot logs last weekend, same routine every time:

1. Roll log off the pile and onto cleared ground using cant hook.
2. Mark off 18” increments.
3. Cut 80% thru at each mark.
4. Roll log 180-degrees.
5. Cut remaining 20% at each mark.
6. Split and toss into front-end loader bucket, or roll rounds into bucket on front-end loader, and drive them over to the splitter parked by stacks.

I have a tractor, and I have forks on it, but I’d still not waste my time using it for bucking logs. Maybe I’ll change my perspective when I get too old and out of shape to squat 30 seconds while bucking a round off a log, but all of these suggestions seem like an enormous waste of time, and way too slow to be practical to process wood at the speed required by any working man who’s trying to heat his house with wood.

I processed a dozen 15-foot logs last weekend, same routine every time:

1. Roll log off the pile and onto cleared ground using cant hook.
2. Mark off 18” increments.
3. Cut 80% thru at each mark.
4. Roll log 180-degrees.
5. Cut remaining 20% at each mark.
6. Split and toss into front-end loader bucket, or roll rounds into bucket on front-end loader, and drive them over to the splitter parked by stacks.
Thirty years ago that's how I did it too. Now my back can't handle it all day.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

Thirty years ago that's how I did it too. Now my back can't handle it all day.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

Understood. Maybe I’ll change my tune when I get there, but there are still some things I think I’d try first:

1. Lighter saws. Old saws are heavy! A 35cc saw with an ultralight bar can really increase comfort.

2. If retired, I’d break up the work more. Instead of trying to plow thru 6-10 hours of splitting on four or five Saturdays per year, maybe less than an hour per day, while the weather is conducive.

3. Finding a younger cutting mate. I do 90% of my harvesting with a co-worker whose in his late 70’s. I do all of the heavy lifting, and he mostly drives the skidding tractor, we make a good team. He is increasing my productivity, since I don’t have to stop cutting to skid a log out of the woods, and I’m increasing his by quickly doing tasks that would be slow and difficult for him at his present age. It works very well, for us. If you could operate the splitter and find someone to buck the logs and help with stacking, you might have a workable partnership.

Short of that, if you have an FEL, you could add a diverter valve and operate a grapple!

1. Lighter saws. Old saws are heavy! A 35cc saw with an ultralight bar can really increase comfort.

2. If retired, I’d break up the work more. Instead of trying to plow thru 6-10 hours of splitting on four or five Saturdays per year, maybe less than an hour per day, while the weather is conducive.

3. Finding a younger cutting mate. I do 90% of my harvesting with a co-worker whose in his late 70’s. I do all of the heavy lifting, and he mostly drives the skidding tractor, we make a good team. He is increasing my productivity, since I don’t have to stop cutting to skid a log out of the woods, and I’m increasing his by quickly doing tasks that would be slow and difficult for him at his present age. It works very well, for us. If you could operate the splitter and find someone to buck the logs and help with stacking, you might have a workable partnership.
Sounds so like me 30 years ago
Now I'm the one in that 70s age group backs done knees are done
and my old partner just passed away last week at 89
Will miss my woodcutting, fishing and hunting partner
This age comes at you faster than you think

I enjoy doing the work, but with my busy work schedule and the fact that it's now dark as soon as I'm out of work, I only have the weekends and that's if the weather cooperates. I like doing the work by myself also. Feels more rewarding that way to me. The only downside is that I have back problems. I use the tractor loader as much as possible moving heavy rounds to the splitter then throwing splits into the loader, then driving them to the wood pile to stack at a comfortable height. If I can just get a good solution for bucking, I'd be happy and my back would be thankful. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I enjoy doing the work, but with my busy work schedule and the fact that it's now dark as soon as I'm out of work, I only have the weekends and that's if the weather cooperates. I like doing the work by myself also. Feels more rewarding that way to me. The only downside is that I have back problems. I use the tractor loader as much as possible moving heavy rounds to the splitter then throwing splits into the loader, then driving them to the wood pile to stack at a comfortable height. If I can just get a good solution for bucking, I'd be happy and my back would be thankful. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Got it. You’re facing many of the same constraints as me. I also have a bad back, but it mostly flares up when I spend too many hours at my desk, and working outside only bothers it if I’ve already irritated it with too much desk work.

I use tongs hung from a hook welded to the top of my loader bucket for moving logs around, but it’s really no way to cut, IMO. Likewise, forks on the back of the tractor are likely only practical if you have the provisions for a hydraulic top link, as non-tilting forks won’t be very useful for moving and lifting logs. Forks on the loader bucket can work, but only if you have a large and heavy tractor, they’re always going to be capacity-limited.

It’s possible you could lift one end of the log with the tongs, buck off it, and then reposition. But honestly, climbing on and off a tractor dozens of times per day is doing your back no favors, not to mention your knees. I can be on and off my tractor a hundred times some Saturdays, and I feel it in my legs and knees.

A grapple, or finding a way to chain logs to the bucket for lifting, may be your best option if your loader has sufficient lift capacity. You can always add a diverted valve to a button on your loader control or foot button (think old-school highbeam switch), so your bucket curl function can be toggled over to grapple open/close control. Just a thought.

The quickest and cheapest solution may be some grab hooks welded to your loader bucket, and some short chains. Roll the bucket onto the log, chain it, then curl and lift. Poor-man’s grapple.

Reactions: PistolPeets
1576246136329.png

You could make a table / rack with 2X's on edge so the logs could be placed (by tractor) and you cut to the height you like.

Reactions: SpaceBus