Positioning large rounds on the splitter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you like toys, you could always get one of those little capstan winches and a set of tongs, you'll feel like superman with one of those, little pull on one end and you precisely control the pull/slip and rate of movement, very intuitive for moving items around that are a little too heavy. They even have little electric ones to throw in the kit nowadays: Amazon product ASIN B08YY5ML5X

If you like toys, you could always get one of those little capstan winches and a set of tongs, you'll feel like superman with one of those, little pull on one end and you precisely control the pull/slip and rate of movement, very intuitive for moving items around that are a little too heavy. They even have little electric ones to throw in the kit nowadays: Amazon product ASIN B08YY5ML5X

That is an interesting tool. I can think of many other uses for a capstan winch around the workshop and farm. Maybe even the winch on my ATV would help for situations where the pallet forks on the tractor are not working.

I have been experimenting with methods. I have found that a sheet of plywood in front of the splitter is the first step. I then move the big log to the plywood with the tractor and pallet forks. After the first split, I rotate the log using a peavey near the base of the log. That just slides the log to rotate it. Using the peavey toward the top of the log tends to tilt the log up instead of rotating it. Once the log is rotated for the next split, I use a pickaroon to drag the log under the splitter wedge.

Here is how Buckin Billy Ray deals with very large rounds that are to tough to hand split.

Use the chainsaw and a splitting axe or maul to halve or quarter the rounds so you can pick them up and put them on the splitter in horizontal mode. If you cut along the grain ("noodling") the cut is much faster than the usual cross cut. Cut enough so its one well placed blow with the maul to make the split.

I find this a lot easier than wrestling with big rounds on their flat faces with the splitter vertical. That takes a lot of upper body strength while lifting is mostly legs if you do it right.
+1
If they are quartered you can handle them easily.

I like how he uses the chainsaw to cut splits. That’s going in my book of tricks for the unsplittable stuff.

Just buy an excavator

That’s something Ricky would do.
Haha. Totally. On a serious note though. I would noodle the large ones into manageable size pieces. It’s time consuming however your body will be much happier at the end of the day. I hate vertical splitting so whenever my excavator is out on a job I will noodle.

Haha. Totally. On a serious note though. I would noodle the large ones into manageable size pieces. It’s time consuming however your body will be much happier at the end of the day. I hate vertical splitting so whenever my excavator is out on a job I will noodle.
Agreed, I will give that a shot. By splitting up the large rounds into 4 to 6 pieces, they can be much more easily handled. You spend some extra time and have a little wear and tear on the chainsaw, but your back will not be nearly as sore the next day. These monsters are killing me, so time to try a different tactic.

I finally have my routine down and there are about 5 cords split now. I cut down the grain of the logs cutting them almost to the center and roll the logs with a peavey making additional cuts. When all the cuts are made, I either finish cutting through with the chainsaw or finish split the chunks with a wedge or crowbar. Bigger logs are cut into 6 chunks and smaller logs into 4. This still leaves some pretty heavy logs to lift onto the splitter. I plant the pickaroon deeply to the end of the log. By gripping the pickaroon very close to the head, you can get an amazing amount of leverage in lifting the log. Many of the logs are still too heavy to lift all the way onto the splitter with just arm strength. In those cases, I lift the log just a little and give it a swing toward the splitter. When it gets to the right height, I give it the final push with my knee or leg. Once I got the rhythm down, lifting very heavy logs was not too bad.

Things I have learned during the process:

As others on this site have said, operating the log splitter in the vertical position is pretty much useless. It is hard to get the log positioned for the first split since you can't roll it when the log is sitting on the end grain. If the log is not sitting precisely on the splitter's foot the splitter lifts off the ground instead of splitting the log.

The pickaroon is one of the most helpful tool when doing splitting of large logs. Adding a few wraps of rubber grip tape near the hear really helps avoid damage due to overstrike, and improves grip and control.

A huge log splitter is not required for even this heavily knotted oak I am splitting. Like what others have said, 25 to 27 tons is more than enough. Save your money and time by getting a smaller and faster splitter.

Aspirin is your friend ...

There are a few people that have found a way where using it vertical is easier.
Backwoods Savage was one of them
I think the moral of the story is once you get into "your" groove for splitting the work becomes easy.