New Trail Work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I decided to start cutting my way through this mess (white pine) so we have another trail in this area. Most of the wood is only good for the fireplace we will be starting in about two weeks, I'll have lots of thinning to do in this area since it never has been taken care of.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5568.JPG
    100_5568.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_5569.JPG
    100_5569.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 100_5570.JPG
    100_5570.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 100_5571.JPG
    100_5571.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_5573.JPG
    100_5573.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
Looks like a lot of good campire wood there. Already see a path forming in the one picture!

Another two hours tomorrow with the pole saw should make a big difference, once I get up through I'm coming back down through the front of the woods. I want two trails running west to east then a few north to south.

Finding the rocks for the fireplace will start this weekend, how far would you dig down and would you even bother with crushed stone.

Some of the dead limbs will get chipped up so I can level off part of our new stacking area.

zap

I think a depth of 12" would be fine Zappy. If I were you, being you are building your pit in a fairly old-growth pine forest (and there is a lot of pine needle compaction under the surface) I would go around 18" deep and probably line the bottom of your pit with some nice, flat rocks that are around 4-6" thick. Fill in the joints with some sand and water it in so it fills up completely.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I think a depth of 12" would be fine Zappy. If I were you, being you are building your pit in a fairly old-growth pine forest (and there is a lot of pine needle compaction under the surface) I would go around 18" deep and probably line the bottom of your pit with some nice, flat rocks that are around 4-6" thick. Fill in the joints with some sand and water it in so it fills up completely.

Yep... With all the Pine Needles (I know your tryin to remove as much as possible from previous threads) I agree with Scotty on the digging it out and lying flat rock or crushed stone. Whatever is cheapest and readily available (I would guess rocks are quite plentiful in your area?).

Trails are looking good. I always enjoyed making new paths in the woods.. Good times ;)

Looks like you are moving right along Zap.

You're just having way too much fun Zap.

Thanks for the info S.O., we have the big White Pine along with 3 or 4 skinny Maples that need felling then the digging begins. We will shoot for the end of August if not before to have this done, finally a place I can burn the junk wood in especially in the winter.

L.P., this will give us another route on the walking trail around the house or cross country ski trail in the winter around the house. I've been running the 028 av I bought from our neighbor, perfect saw for this.

Billy, like my FIL always said, do some work each day and you'll see the difference know time.

DexterDay, plenty of rocks just need some picking time, I might go with some type of brick for the floor.

zap

I remember that area zap. Your trees, like our white pine were planted a bit too thick. Speaking of our pines, where we cut them off, we are already seeing new growth and fortunately some oaks. I think I'll go for a walk out there to see as I've only cut across one corner and saw oaks, maples and cherry along with just a few new pines. I planted some white cedar. Some have died (lack of moisture) but we have good growth yet for the rest.

Sav, I think they grew up when they stopped haying this area. Put in another two hours tonight with the HT -101 pole saw with the stihl 028 av. I lucked out on the pole saw, I left gas in it for a year (never again) but it started on the third pull, after that on the first pull.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5582.JPG
    100_5582.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_5584.JPG
    100_5584.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_5585.JPG
    100_5585.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_5587.JPG
    100_5587.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_5588.JPG
    100_5588.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_5590.JPG
    100_5590.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_5591.JPG
    100_5591.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_5583.JPG
    100_5583.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 117
Zap looks good. Im still alive. Been busy and finally get on to say hey.

Great job Zap. Its so true,do a little each day (or weekly) & you'll be amazed how it all adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.