New tree length, new poplar and old firewood stacks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
NB Canada
Some pics to share:

1. 9 cord of maple, css last summer. For 2012/2013. In a field, that gets lots of sun and wind.
DSC00066.jpg

2. 12 cord of new wood to process. Yellow birch, rock maple and beech. Probably won't start this until April. (For 2013/2014.)
DSC00067.jpg

3. 2/3 cord of new poplar. About 17" at the butt. I fell it onto a stream in front of my sisters cabin.
My youngest son hauls it up to the driveway with a plastic sled, 60" long, 17" wide, 9" tall. (He is 16, 6'1", 200 lbs.)
DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

I burn about 16 cord / winter. Half hardwood, half softer woods (poplar, fir, pine).
I put about 12 cord in my basement wood room in the fall. and put in another few cord during the winter.

HOLY SHOOT! Might as well cut some blocks for an igloo while your at it! Nice lloking stacks but it looks cold there. I guess that jet stream has been pushing everything your way this year.

maplewood said:
I burn about 16 cord / winter.
That is a buttload of wood; Do you live in a castle? :smirk:

Woody Stover said:
maplewood said:
I burn about 16 cord / winter.
That is a buttload of wood; Do you live in a castle? :smirk:

3500 sq. ft. log kit home.
In-floor heating.
22' living room ceiling. 9' basement ceilings. 10' second story ceilings. (A lot of air there!)
Boiler pre-heats the dhw. 5 kids showering, at least 1 dishwasher load/day, at least 2 laundry loads/day.
And we like it warm in the winter.

rwhite said:
HOLY SHOOT! Might as well cut some blocks for an igloo while your at it! Nice lloking stacks but it looks cold there. I guess that jet stream has been pushing everything your way this year.

We've actually had a mild winter. Hardly any snow until late January. Even now there's only about 16" on the ground. And no big storms (yet). We usually have one or two that dumps 16" - 30", but the worst storm this winter was only about 9". I haven't even thought about shovelling off the roof this year. If we have 2-4 feet of snow and a rain is coming, I'll clean a lot of it off....

I just found my answer reading another post. I suppose a couple grand per year is not so bad in your climate.

OH MY! 6 teen cords a year!!!! Your a hell of a stronger man than me. I'd be having nightmares about wood! How long have you been living there?

Status
Not open for further replies.