New week New scrounge.... pic heavy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
Got a call from my friend down the road (~ 2 miles) he's just had another 3 trees chopped down. The arborist came on Friday - i got my friend to help me on Saturday to get a couple of loads. The arborist cut it like this - so pretty easy to load and all free BTU. We ended up with over a cord of hardwood so far not sure what it is but it will be a good Aussie gum. It split like a dream and very heavy. I'm going back after work all week to get a couple more loads. Access is pretty steep so you can't get a trailer up there so hopefully still be there when get there later. Found a few termites in some of the wood but nothing to worry about i hope.... Just for your guys info - they had ~ 8 trees chopped and it cost .......$19,900 !!! yes the decimal point is in the right position $20k CAM00041.jpgCAM00046.jpgCAM00044.jpgCAM00045.jpgCAM00052.jpgCAM00050.jpg
CAM00049.jpg

Interesting stuff. Almost looks like a monocot, but I know it isn't. Is that a bluish cast? Our red oaks often stain blue from Iron in the soil / water table.

20 K? wow.:eek:

yes it does have a blue cast and the bark is solid almost as hard as the inner wood . I am trying to find a wood id site in Australia. my first thoughts are Blue Gum but i could be miles of.

Done a bit of research and it looks like it is Blue Gum. That's good news as it is a very dense solid hardwood at 977 gsm which is about as dense as you can go by comparison hickory is 'only' 830 gsm. Best make sure i get as much as i can :)blue_gum_fs.jpg

Reactions: osagebow
Nice i have been burning black gum this fall.

It's good to be the tree removal guy.

It costs more if you want them to take it away as well - which means i am doing my mate a favour.....

Reactions: bogydave
It costs more if you want them to take it away as well - which means i am doing my mate a favour.....

You are such a nice guy ;)
Good score & able to help out a mate. Maybe he'll split a case of Foster's with you. :)

Reactions: PapaDave
I'm pretty sure nobody in AU drinks Fosters....I think It's got to be made solely for Outback Steakhouse!

Just wanted to let you all know there is a really nice house for sale in Bath, Maine.
It's 4 BR, 1 3/4 Bath, 1900sf, brand new Woodstock Progress Hybrid wood stove, fenced yard, etc...

I am moving to Australia to cut down trees, I will only be charging $1500 per tree I cut down (as long as I don't have to haul the wood away) and I should make a killing as this is slightly more than half of what other companies currently charge.
:p

SAYONARA SUCKERS!!!!

Went back last night after work - the majority of the good stuff has gone they put it on facebook and away it went :( managed to get another 2 loads. There's still a lot left but i'm not sure if its worth grabbing. What do you guys think? i think i am 2 years in front so i am trying to be a little selective - but BTU are BTU's.

log 1.jpg

Also got a quote to take 3 big trees down on my property fairly close to the house ~ 100 feet tall and the biggest one would have a diameter ~ 12 feet. He only wants $6500 3 days work and not removing any of the wood / limbs but mulch the smaller branches.

...and BTUs are $$$...

Nice i have been burning black gum this fall.

Australian Gum trees are nothing like the trees we call gum in the US. Australian Gum -Eucalyptus - are supposed to be very good firewood. They have very dense wood. I bet a few wood burners in CA have burnt Blue Gum, which is one of the more common Eucalyptus planted in CA. Do the oils in Blue Gum make it burn hot?

That's actually a very relevant question as 2 days ago i started using some of my wood which has only seasoned for 6 months but is still way better than the rubbish i was burning which i 'bought' as seasoned wood off a craigs list equivalent. I ran the stove as i had before, with the air fully open but when i cam back downstairs about 1/2 hr later the stove was literally glowing all around the flue. I quickly reduced the air as far as it goes and left it like that for the rest of the burn only turning it up on reload. The difference between seasoned wood and not - as everyone on here knows is unbelievable.

My wood should be good for next winter (June 2013 - ) then it will be another steep learning curve. i have no idea how much wood i will burn but using the poor supply i had this year i have used ~ 4 cords next year i will burn longer as i want to burn 24/7 but i wont need to burn off the excess moisture so i have no idea how much i will burn. Just keep collecting....

Reactions: raybonz
Auzzie for a guy with only 18 posts here I must say I am impressed with your wood burning knowledge! Were you a lurker here before joining? The wood pics look great and the wood itself looks like good wood too! Where else can one go where everyone understands our passion for wood and wood stoves? When you have a chance it would be great if you could post stove pics and specs along with your home and hearth.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.