New wood furnace thimble height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric barber

Sep 16, 2015
Ct
Hello everyone I just purchased a psg wood caddy to replace my old jensing. I am installing a SS liner and noticed my thimble height is about 4" lower then the outlet on my wood caddy. I am going to be cutting a new hole in my chimney. My question is since I am installing a SS liner do I need to install a new thimble, or can I just use run the liner tee through the hole I cut and then put a thimble cover around the section of the tee that protrudes through the side of the chimney to block of the air gap?
Thank you
Eric barber

can I just use run the liner tee through the hole I cut and then put a thimble cover around the section of the tee that protrudes through the side of the chimney to block of the air gap?
Howdy! Nice furnace. As long as the tee pipe is going through non combustible material (masonry) then you should be fine. You may want to make the hole a bit larger than the pipe so you can stuff some rock wool in there around it to seal it. That keeps the concrete/brick from acting as a heat sink on that section of pipe causing condensation/creosote issues. Also, check your manual for the height they recommend for the chimney connection. Some models call for a couple feet of straight up pipe before making a horizontal run...and post some install pics up for us ==c

Also, check your manual for the height they recommend for the chimney connection. Some models call for a couple feet of straight up pipe before making a horizontal run...and post some install pics up for us ==c
Thank you for that information. I will get pics up as I go. I reviewed the manual and the only info I could find that suggest anything with the stove pipe was a picture and all that was was showing it using 45* elbows instead of 90* so I will map it out where 2 45* land me on the chimney and if it is still within code that's where I will put the new hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.