New wood rack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
As I am waiting on a new Enerzone 2.3 insert to be installed in a few weeks I decided to build a wood rack next to the back door instead of trekking out to the main pile about 50 yards from the house every time we need a load. It will make life easier as we transition from 100% electric heat to using more wood. It cost nothing to make. All materials were either scraps from the house and some 2x4's free from some nice construction guys down the road. I'm still new here and I just wanted to say that this is a wonderfully helpful place for wood info. Thanks !
DSCN1000.JPG

Reactions: john11756
Very nice, you will soon see the handiness of having 2 weeks worth of wood ready by the door

Reactions: TheAardvark
Nice rack, every year you'll tweak the process to burn better with less work. I don't know what size splits your stove likes, but they look a little small for those all night burns. Just trying to help.

Reactions: TheAardvark
I don't know what size splits your stove likes, but they look a little small for those all night burns. Just trying to help.

Yep. Bigger burns longer.

As for the rack, nice work! Very handy. You're probably going to want something to keep the rain off of it.

I cheat - I have my handy-rack under my deck roof. Plenty of overhang, so it never gets wet. Holds about a week's worth.

Looks like you are off to a fine start. I agree you will most likely want some kind of top cover.

Looks like its bowing pretty good, but symmetrically

Any diagonal bracing or sheeting on the back to unload the side grain to end grain joints at the corners?

The stone underneath was a brilliant idea, I doubt you'll regret that.

Yes, they are smallish pieces. That stuff is 3 year seasoned sugar maple that we had been using for "fun fires" in our open fireplace. The wood Im cutting now for the next few years is larger. Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.