New Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Big storm coming in and they are calling for high winds with heavy snow, 12-18 inches. Looks like mother nature will deliver some firewood for future burning.

Zap

snowing like crazy in NNJ - not sure if it's the same storm of not. I didn't think we were getting anything til Friday. Roads are rough. Fatality on RT 80

Yup same here finally a good winter strom for Central New York. Wish it would have hit back in Nov or Dec. Dont want it now,was actually looking forward to spring. OOOO well have to see how much we really get..

nothing yet here .....again

Hey Zap, I'm jealous...no better place to have a nice snowstorm than the daks! Post some pics when you can...looks like a good one headed your way. You sure you have enough wood to get you thru?

I think it's coming, it's been flurries on and off all day here. It was snowing pretty good up on Whiteface at times today. Both the NWS in Burlington and the local TV forecasters are predicting significant snow thru Thursday. My big indicator though is the Town DPW. I live in the Town of Jay, and most if not all the Town roads drain in to either the East or West Forks of the Ausable River, a noted trout stream. Thus, they don't use salt on those roads, just sand. The DPW sand pit is down towards the end of my road, the trucks were all headed down and back with loads of sand this morning.

Good sign

Hey Jake, I don't mean to hijack Zaps thread but I have to write. Just love Jay, my nephew bought a place a few years ago up there and we go often. He's right on 9n facing the river- I'm sure you drive by it all the time. I've fished that thing with zilch results-so you want to tell me what I'm missing.

Yeah, I probably would recognize the place. Not much of a trout fisherman myself, so can't help you there. But those that are, say the Ausable is a great trout stream. Maybe you need to move upstream, the section between Wilmington and Lake Placis is the trophy steam section, artificial lures and flys, catch and release only.

Jake, thanks for the reply. I'll have to try that stretch sometime. Driven past it to LP but never gave it a go. Wifey wants to know what kind of dogs you got there? We have a yorkie and except for the color I'd say they could be cousins.

We're getting hit pretty hard right now. I don't think much wood will be on the ground though. Most of the stuff prone to coming down came down in the ice storm last year.

Matt

Still waiting for the big storm here. Wet snow on and off all day but not much accumulation. May be we'll get more tomorrow.

maxed_out said:
Hey Zap, I'm jealous...no better place to have a nice snowstorm than the daks! Post some pics when you can...looks like a good one headed your way. You sure you have enough wood to get you thru?

We will post pictures of the storm, generators ready the wood is inside plus the plows hooked up ready to go. They (NOAA)are calling for 10-20 inches of wet snow for this region. Plus I will put the chains on the rhino.

Zap

Few inches of wet heavy snow here as of 8:45, more on the way. ATV plow is ready to go

Syracuse just finished waxing Providence

I started cleaning the driveway, the tarp over the boat, and helping the neighbor at 5:30 this morning. I was done around 7:30 and beat. That was some heavy snow! We had about a foot of wet stuff since 8pm last night. Ready to do it all again?

Matt

We got about 8 inches in NNJ. It was very heavy wet snow. It had so much water - it had a blue tint to it like glacier ice. Very tough shoveling. I started at 530 and finished by 930. I'm sore all over. They are calling for another 12 to 18 inches.....starting tonight. I was looking forward to having all my wood split and stacked by March 1st. Seems every weekend in February gave us snow to deal with. I've got about 3 + cords of maple to knock out and stack. I guess it'll will wait. Snow has buried my pile.

Last year wasn't bad - so I haven't bought a plow or snow blower. I was cursing that decision this morning.

We got a couple inches of super wet, heavy slush last night. I shoveled when I got home from work at about midnight. I would rather have worked on a foot of powder than 2" of that stuff. NOAA forecasts about a foot for us on Thursday. I hope it is not as heavy as last night! At least this time of year, it doesn't turn into ice and with daytime temps in the 40s, it doesn't stay long either.
I work in NYC and live about 40 miles north of the city. When I left the city it was pouring rain with some flooding on the roads. It didn't change to snow until about 5 miles from home. I went from a Uboat captain, to a snowcat driver in about 20 minutes! Thursday's commute should be interesting.
I heard on the radio this morning that winds in NYC could gust up to 75 MPH!! That could be interesting.

Flatbedford said:
We got a couple inches of super wet, heavy slush last night. I shoveled when I got home from work at about midnight. I would rather have worked on a foot of powder than 2" of that stuff. NOAA forecasts about a foot for us on Thursday. I hope it is not as heavy as last night! At least this time of year, it doesn't turn into ice and with daytime temps in the 40s, it doesn't stay long either.
I work in NYC and live about 40 miles north of the city. When I left the city it was pouring rain with some flooding on the roads. It didn't change to snow until about 5 miles from home. I went from a Uboat captain, to a snowcat driver in about 20 minutes! Thursday's commute should be interesting.
I heard on the radio this morning that winds in NYC could gust up to 75 MPH!! That could be interesting.

Nothing since early this morning, real nice out with temps about 38 degrees.

Zap

Just lots of rain and wind here (most of the howling last nite)

Just lots and lots of punky stuff on the ground , most that shattered and turned into mulch on impact.

maxed_out said:
I've fished that thing with zilch results-so you want to tell me what I'm missing.

PM me if you are really interested in fishing the Ausable. I was a flyfishing guide up there for 5 years and know the river pretty good. Lots of nice browns and bows with good hatches, just have to give it time.

Had about 8 inches here this morn. Started cleaning driveways at 5:30 got most done by 7:30 then had to go to work will finsh up tonite when I get home. Looks like may be doing that alll over again tomorrow and friday also.

Hey Zap how you making out? Looks like another doozey headed your way for today. My armchair forcast says another 12 for you. How about them pics?

Here in sussex county NNJ, we had 2 inches by 6am and now over 4 inches. Huge flakes and white out. Predictions are for 15- 20 inches. It's a doozie.

Huge flakes and little or no accumulation here at work in NYC. Haven't heard from Mrs. Flatbedford about home yet. I did get to drive her fancy AWD Volvo to work today. I might even take it Friday too. This storm is gonna be weird down by me with the temps bouncing +/- a few degrees of freezing all day.

maxed_out said:
Hey Zap how you making out? Looks like another doozey headed your way for today. My armchair forcast says another 12 for you. How about them pics?

The storm that never came, had rain earlier today which change to snow about 4:00 pm. We might get some high winds tonight but it looks like the forecast was way off.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.