New ZC or insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

launcher330

Sep 21, 2016
Racine, Wisconsin
So my house has an existing ZC prefab fireplace(not sure on the model, 36" wide box). When we moved in it didn't even have doors. Just a screen and some electrical running into the box(must have been a blower at one point). Picture is attached.
So we are now remodeling the walls around the fireplace and would like to actually have a fireplace that will heat our house instead of cool it. I got a quote from a local dealer for a Fireplace X Elite 33 insert for $5K which is way more than I want to spend. Now that I have the sidewalls removed and see how simple of a deal these fireplaces are I am wondering if it would be better and cheaper to just remove this fireplace completely and put a new EPA fireplace in. Can I do this myself? The only thing I am wondering if is if I can run the new chimney down the existing one or if I have to completely remove it and put a new one in. The existing chimney is 12" in diameter.

I have posted pics of the front and the sides of the existing fireplace since I have the whole thing wide open rght now.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• WP_20160921_20_48_39_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160921_20_48_39_Rich.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 120
  • WP_20160921_20_48_52_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160921_20_48_52_Rich.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 126
  • WP_20160921_20_49_08_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160921_20_49_08_Rich.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 162
  • WP_20160921_20_49_16_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160921_20_49_16_Rich.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 139
  • WP_20160921_20_49_29_Rich 1.jpg
    WP_20160921_20_49_29_Rich 1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 126
I am wondering if it would be better and cheaper to just remove this fireplace completely and put a new EPA fireplace in.
Yes that is your best option and that is what the dealer was suggesting as well the Fireplace X Elite 33 is a zc stove. And yes you could probably do the install yourself

I have seen the alcove installs and prefer the fireplace look for my living room. If I were to tear this thing out and install a new fireplace, are there any good installation instructions or videos that I can be pointed to before I decide to do that myself?
Thanks guys.

There are some complete install threads here. You could DIY if you follow directions and measure well. The install manuals are usually pretty good, just don't rush it. The new chimney will likely be 6 or 8" class A pipe which will be smaller diameter than the current 12" pipe. That may mean some changes up topside to ensure weather tightness.

My vote is for a zero clearance fireplace over an inser in your specific situation.

1) the ZC units look much better because they don't have all that excess metal on the top and sides (compare the FPX 36 Elite ZC to the FPX 33 Elite insert)

2) ZC units have a long way in EPA efficiencies and BTU's compared to the one you ripped out. When people talk negatively about ZC units - they're using referring to the inefficient units of yester-year...

I'm attaching a list I assembled of ZC units currently on the market.

Matt

ZC FP Specs Sheet.jpg

If I was in WI I'd do an alcove with a freestanding, but either way if you like ZC rip it out and go with any of the ones you mentioned.

My personal preference for serious heat would be 1. wood stove 2. insert 3. fireplace. Space constraints in our new digs, however, required me to go with door #3. Our Kozy Heat Z42 provides 90%+ of our heat in northern WI. It's an inexpensive EPA fireplace option & a good value especially if you do the install yourself. A number of people on this forum have them & have posted some very accurate reviews of the unit. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

mark

I took a look at the Kozy Heat Z42 as it looks nice and budget is definitely a concern. However, based on the installation instructions it looks like this unit requires an outside combustion air pipe which I cannot do in my installation. The fireplace is not against an outside wall.

I took a look at the Kozy Heat Z42 as it looks nice and budget is definitely a concern. However, based on the installation instructions it looks like this unit requires an outside combustion air pipe which I cannot do in my installation. The fireplace is not against an outside wall.
Is there a crawlspace or basement underneath that the fresh air duct could be routed through?

Yes... I just noticed that it can be run below the fireplace. So I can just drill a hole into the basement and run to the back of the house. I will be hitting up my local dealer showroom this weekend to check this unit out. Besides the chimney run, installation looks to be fairly straightforward.

Keep the run as short as possible. If it is >15ft increase the pipe size one inch to reduce airflow resistance.

neither is mine. i am not a fan of outside combustion air but that is the nature of the beast it seems. we ran ours thru the attic and into our vented soffit.

Status
Not open for further replies.