Newbie Assistance/Advice Requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, took the plunge and got a cord of wood. Had to re-stack it as the guy tried to go down the middle of the pallet. Nice windy spot with morning sun on one side and evening sun on the other! Also, fun with my helper! 5dca567c141086583d282ba4448e6125.jpg33b71a8d447cf23ab04abe755b63ec13.jpgc85430f9f23300ef043e61815a483867.jpg3b64653dab805ad43bffa843368122a6.jpg

My thoughts go back and forth between the PE Summit Insert and the BK Princess Insert. Today I'm leaning more towards the Princess [emoji10]

Looks like the Summit would be a bit cheaper, but the Princess probably more efficient for my uses. Plenty of time to ponder.

Needs:

More wood - have one cord at present; figured I need 3?
Moisture meter (cheap harbor freight one?)
Hearth pad - probably build my own when we rip up our carpet
Insulated flex liner
Block off plate and roxul insulation
New chimney cap, demo to fix current cap, etc...
Stove

What else am I missing?

What are the dimensions of that pallet???

Nice start !

Yes at least 3. I'd double it, and get ahead.

8ft x 34"ish. The rebar is marked with tape at 4ft from the top of the pallet to make it easy.

Test passed... almost a cord, give or take, with the height :)

Love the helper, helping ... train 'em right ;)

Get as much firewood as you can. It's the mantra !!

Oh no, wait. To semi quote @BrotherBart , "he / she who dies with the most fire wood wins" :cool:

Test passed... almost a cord, give or take, with the height :)

Love the helper, helping ... train 'em right ;)

Get as much firewood as you can. It's the mantra !!

Oh no, wait. To semi quote @BrotherBart , "he / she who dies with the most fire wood wins" :cool:
Yeah, I think the guy was a bit surprised that I had a pallet all ready to go and sized - he did ask about the length of the pallet...

Good thinking getting a start on the wood, what length are the splits?

They vary, he brought two loads. First load averaged 16-18. Second load was closer to ten to 12. I'm fine with that, though likely try another local next time around.

Sounds good, first year I bought a few cords of 18" before I had decided on a stove. I ended up getting the BK princess and most of the splits were too big. I had to shave a couple inches off each one. The BK fit 16 even up to 18 but most of the splits the wood guy delivered measured 19.

I'd recommend the BK, but I've never run a PE. I've had 2 BKs freestanding and know a couple people with the princess insert. Great stoves, and great customer service.

I've seen hearth pads listed wider than 48, but not the extensions...
You could make your own ... that way your wife gets to pick out the stone or tile that will match the existing tile. Any idea if the existing material is sitting on the hardwood or subfloor? You could always pull those up and notch out the hardwood to the required clearance value and replace with all one type stone or tile. Lots of options - some just require a bit more work than others:)

That might be a great solution - especially since I'd discounted the Blaze Kings in general since they require a top mount exhaust.

Big question is whether my wife will hate it... (likes the fireplace and doesn't like wood stoves in general that aren't pretty... Sigh)
What does your wife think is pretty? What style?

Hubby and I didn't want our pellet stove to look like a "black box" wood stove so we got the Elena with majolica sides. I know you can get wood stoves with soap stone or enamel finishes...

You could make your own ... that way your wife gets to pick out the stone or tile that will match the existing tile. Any idea if the existing material is sitting on the hardwood or subfloor? You could always pull those up and notch out the hardwood to the required clearance value and replace with all one type stone or tile. Lots of options - some just require a bit more work than others:)
There are currently some orange 4x4ish tiles there. We both hate them. Probably cover them with the btw hearth. Not due if they are even with the wood floor hiding under the carpet or not as yet. She's stated she'd prefer tile over stone or bricks. We'd probably do brick if we could match the bricks in the fireplace but that's pretty unlikely given their age.

Speaking of which, really wish we knew a way to get the paint off the bricks higher up the fireplace but everyone I've asked days that's a no go. We really like the bricks unpainted...

She liked the looks of the Progress, sadly, we both think it would dominate the living room if we put it in.

She liked the Summit and the Princess, but likes the idea of watching the fire in the Summit more.

Why not use this as a chance to remove and replace the orange tile with something you like, and make it continuous with the extension?

For paint removal, why not gel stripper?

Why not use this as a chance to remove and replace the orange tile with something you like, and make it continuous with the extension?

For paint removal, why not gel stripper?
Removal - I'm a bit wary of stripping off the tile as this is an old home with some...interesting ways of things being done. I'm thinking I'll leave it in place and build a hearth over it with plywood, insulation of some sort, and tile.

Gel stripper - will that work on brick? I'm guessing it's latex paint directly on the brick (on there for who knows how many years). Will it take the paint off completely or end in oddness?

Last edited:
Removal - I'm a bit wary of stripping off the tile as this is an old home with some...interesting ways of things being done. I'm thinking I'll leave it in place and build a hearth over it with plywood, insulation of some sort, and tile.

Gel stripper - will that work on brick? I'm guessing it's latex paint directly on the brick (on there for who knows how many years). Will it take the paint off completely or end in oddness?

Depends how meticulous you are and how smooth your brick is.

A nice smooth brick could be stripped with a chemical stripper and scraper, or a drill mounted mechanical stripper. A less smooth brick is going to have pockets of resistance with both methods. The mechanical stripper is easier for the mortar, if the mortar is in good shape.

In extreme cases you could replace the brick, or put a brick verneer up over the brick.

It's certainly not smooth brick. I'd rather not replace it either. Hmmm, something to ponder as we'd like it to match the brick on the lower half of the fireplace...

Status
Not open for further replies.