Newbie Assistance/Advice Requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulkrum78

Feb 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hello!

My wife and I purchased a new home about a year and a half ago. The house was originally built in 1959 and much of the original fixtures are in place. We've been slowly upgrading things (more inflation (r-60), updated kitchen, paint) while jugging two infants.

This year, I wanted to get a new top mount chimney damper (9x13 chimney, no damper installed, masonry). When I had someone come out to check out what it would run, I discovered the previous owners had installed a rather odd chimney cap (there are cinder blocks with bricks mortared around it). My quote for demo/rebuilding/capping/etc... plus the new damper would run ~$1200.
IMG_20160202_113957.jpg
At that point, I ordered a $45 chimney balloon and began to ponder getting a wood stove instead.

I've done a bit of research (with the help of my father, who has a Quadfire Yosemite and recommended this site to me). I'm interested in a freestanding stove, ideally around about a 2.5cuft firebox. My home is about 2000 sqft, although about 500ft of that is an unfinished room we use for storage.

Current fireplace dimensions measure 37.5w x 31h x x17d (see pic). IMG_-537555070.jpg That measurement is taken to the outside of the metal frame as I'm pretty sure it will come off fairly easily.

Later this year, we plan on ripping up the ancient carpet we currently have in the living room, and refinishing the rather nice wood floor it hides. How hard (and what sort) of hearth pad could/should I plan on putting in> You can see some red tiles in front of the stove at present (wife hates) which I plan on just covering over with a new hearth. I'm not the most handy of home handymen, but I think I can handle the hearth at least (advice on this welcome, some of the youtube videos on it are scary).

Anyways, my questions:

1. What stove would you recommend? I've taken a liking to the Woodstock Progress Hybrid but not sure about whether or not it would fit?

2. What sort of clearance issues might I run into? Heat shield options? 20160209_203541.jpg
Will my wooden built-in bookcases be an issue?

3. What else haven;t I thought of that I should plan ahead for? I know I'll need a chimney liner...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Robert

Reactions: BobMcG
Hi!

Looks to me like it will just barely fit in your situation but more knowledgeable folks will need to better assist you.

Bob

I agree. Pictures can be deceiving but it looks tight from how I see it. You may be shocked at how much room you will lose to a stove compared to an insert. There was a post a few days ago from someone removing their stove and putting in mini splits because the stove took up too much space in their living room. Having small kids will add to the space problem because you need to fence off the area until you are positive they understand the dangers.

What I would do is measured out the total area your potential stove will take and set some chairs or table in that spot. Then look and see if that works.

Personally, of look to see if an wood insert will perform in your dimensions.

Reactions: Fulkrum78
Don't confuse a fireplace with a stove insert- you can put a real stove into the fireplace.

You will get better performance from a freestanding model than an insert, but that doesn't really look ideal for your setup to me. I like DougA's idea of marking off the floor and hearth space required with tape or furniture and seeing what you think.

I heat a slightly larger area with a Blaze King Princess insert (although I wanted a freestanding stove, the insert didn't require any remodeling, and we didn't lose any of the floor space in the room), and it works very nicely.

Image698258645.jpg

Looks like my stove would fit your fireplace, too.
Image-2019633651.jpg

Last edited:
Don't confuse a fireplace with a stove insert- you can put a real stove into the fireplace.

You will get better performance from a freestanding model than an insert, but that doesn't really look ideal for your setup to me. I like DougA's idea of marking off the floor and hearth space required with tape or furniture and seeing what you think.

I heat a slightly larger area with a Blaze King Princess insert (although I wanted a freestanding stove, the insert didn't require any remodeling, and we didn't lose any of the floor space in the room), and it works very nicely.

View attachment 174638

View attachment 174639
That might be a great solution - especially since I'd discounted the Blaze Kings in general since they require a top mount exhaust.

Big question is whether my wife will hate it... (likes the fireplace and doesn't like wood stoves in general that aren't pretty... Sigh)

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 174638

View attachment 174639
Question for you Jetsam, what sort of hearth protection and how far out needed?

I have the progress hybrid with a set up like you have. I used to have the princess insert and it was OK but get much more heat with the PH. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what the distance requirements are but can check the Manual for you when I'm home later tonight. You can't go wrong with either stove.
Forgot to add I have the short leg kit and have the stove set into the fireplace 2-3 inches so it only sticks out 22 inches and is not in the way at all.

I have the progress hybrid with a set up like you have. I used to have the princess insert and it was OK but get much more heat with the PH. Off the top of my head I'm not sure what the distance requirements are but can check the Manual for you when I'm home later tonight. You can't go wrong with either stove.
Forgot to add I have the short leg kit and have the stove set into the fireplace 2-3 inches so it only sticks out 22 inches and is not in the way at all.
By chance, do you have a picture of your setup? Curious...

Big question is whether my wife will hate it... (likes the fireplace and doesn't like wood stoves in general that aren't pretty... Sigh)

My wife had the same thoughts. However she ended up liking the look of the insert. It dressed up the hearth.

My stove insert is a quadrafire 3100i and I love it. I'm only heating my living room and kitchen which are one big open area and the main living area bathroom. ( leave the door open to bathroom or else it gets cold in that room) Roughly 1100 to 1200 sq feet of area being heated best guess. Works perfect for that space.

Could never heat the entire house with mine but I didn't want it for that. I use it in the evenings and weekends. Actually it hardly ever goes out but I need to turn the heat on the furnace when it's time for bed as the insert does not give enough heat to thoroughly heat the bedroom. Some heat makes it to the bedroom from the insert but not enough to be warm where I'm at.

Last edited:
That is one helluva nice stove! How much of a beast to get into the fireplace space was it?
Thanks, wasn't too bad, me and my brother slid it in, I used some sheet metal slabs to slide the stove. It was easier than I thought.

Inserts can be sharp looking. I have one, and love it *she said* ;)

Would a free standing stove some where else in the house work?

How's the house layout? Even a rough sketched floor plan would help, also.

Which ever way you go, stove or insert, start getting firewood NOW, you won't regret it.

Welcome to the forums !

Inserts can be sharp looking. I have one, and love it *she said* ;)

Would a free standing stove some where else in the house work?

How's the house layout? Even a rough sketched floor plan would help, also.

Which ever way you go, stove or insert, start getting firewood NOW, you won't regret it.

Welcome to the forums !
Thanks for the welcome!

A stove would likely work somewhere else in the house, downstairs would be good. However, we'd have to put a hole through cinder block to do it and I think that's probably a bit much for my wife to sign off on.

I'll work on a simple diagram after the wild ones go to sleep...

Question for you Jetsam, what sort of hearth protection and how far out needed?

I got mine professionally installed and then started asking questions here, so everything about my install is wrong. :p I have about six inches of clearance to combustibles in front of the loading door; my stove requires 16".

Since you are asking first and installing second, you will probably do a little better than I did.

I will personally probably wind up scouring granite places in a hopeless attempt to find some granite that matches the original fireplace hearth, followed by a failed bid to convince my wife that some other stone would look great with the original granite when I build the extension, followed by me giving up in despair and deciding that I'll just pull the insert before we sell the house. I may just also build a tube steel, cement board, and tile portable extension so we can set it in front of the existing hearth for normal operation and lug it to the garage or whatever for Formal Occasions.

On one hand, I suppose it's a fire hazard to not have a good clear noncombustible area in front of the stove; on the other hand, I have welding gloves and a large fire extinguisher within a couple feet of the stove, so the house isn't going to burn down even if a large flaming log goes bouncing out of the stove.

And err to answer the original question, check the manual for the stove you're considering; I believe they're required to list front and side clearances. Princess Insert is 16" to the front of the loading door (that's 18 Canadian inches), and 8" on each side of the door (that's 8 Canadian inches). ;)

I got mine professionally installed and then started asking questions here, so everything about my install is wrong.[emoji14] I have about six inches of clearance to combustibles in front of the loading door; my stove requires 16".

Since you are asking first and installing second, you will probably do a little better than I did.

I will personally probably wind up scouring granite places in a hopeless attempt to find some granite that matches the original fireplace hearth, followed by a failed bid to convince my wife that some other stone would look great with the original granite when I build the extension, followed by me giving up in despair and deciding that I'll just pull the insert before we sell the house. I may just also build a tube steel, cement board, and tile portable extension so we can set it in front of the existing hearth for normal operation and lug it to the garage or whatever for Formal Occasions.

On one hand, I suppose it's a fire hazard to not have a good clear noncombustible area in front of the stove; on the other hand, I have welding gloves and a large fire extinguisher within a couple feet of the stove, so the house isn't going to burn down even if a large flaming log goes bouncing out of the stove.

And err to answer the original question, check the manual for the stove you're considering; I believe they're required to list front and side clearances. Princess Insert is 16" to the front of the loading door (that's 18 Canadian inches), and 8" on each side of the door (that's 8 Canadian inches). ;)
Just eyeballing it I think I'm good on the side clearances! I think the hearth expansion/build here is something I'll do when we rip up the carpet and expose the wood floors. Shouldn't be too bad for a do it yourself project...

Silly question, is the blower for the Princess an add on or standard?

That might be a great solution - especially since I'd discounted the Blaze Kings in general since they require a top mount exhaust.

There are Blaze Kings that aren't ugly. Well... one, anyway. Introducing the Ashford, available in two sizes:

IMG_7185.JPG

Just eyeballing it I think I'm good on the side clearances! I think the hearth expansion/build here is something I'll do when we rip up the carpet and expose the wood floors. Shouldn't be too bad for a do it yourself project...

Silly question, is the blower for the Princess an add on or standard?

I'd run detailed plans by the guys here before building.. I've been surprised a couple times as to what is technically "combustible".

I believe the insert only comes with the blower (as it should, it would not be a fantastic heater without it). Not sure about the freestanding models. I could see it being optional on them, as they have a lot more surface area exposed to the room.

I run mine without the blower only on very low burn and only on very mild days.

I'd run detailed plans by the guys here before building.. I've been surprised a couple times as to what is technically "combustible".

I believe the insert only comes with the blower (as it should, it would not be a fantastic heater without it). Not sure about the freestanding models. I could see it being optional on them, as they have a lot more surface area exposed to the room.

I run mine without the blower only on very low burn and only on very mild days.
That makes sense. If/when it comes time I will certainly get some advice on here! I have no desire to do it wrong!

R 60! Good Lord! I just built an addition to my house and I exceeded the code, with R40.
You are the man! Is it fiberglass insulation, or what. Hell fiberglass would need to be 18 inches thick to get that spec.

Here's what I'm thinking (budget in mind) your going to want an insulated liner to be ran in that chimney, do skimp $$ on the liner, the chimney is the engine that drives the stove.
After the liner is installed, squeeze a NC30 in there, build a block off plate and your good to go. I like the NC30 for this because its a cost efficient good starter stove that will last years / decades, its a long more narrow stove so it can be pushed further into the fireplace for a liner hook up. That's my 2 cents.. let us know what you end up doing.

R 60! Good Lord! I just built an addition to my house and I exceeded the code, with R40.
You are the man! Is it fiberglass insulation, or what. Hell fiberglass would need to be 18 inches thick to get that spec.
yes to fiberglass! Here's a pic from just before they finished.... 0ed8dac6d3c2f1134d3471991c5dd276.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking (budget in mind) your going to want an insulated liner to be ran in that chimney, do skimp $$ on the liner, the chimney is the engine that drives the stove.
After the liner is installed, squeeze a NC30 in there, build a block off plate and your good to go. I like the NC30 for this because its a cost efficient good starter stove that will last years / decades, its a long more narrow stove so it can be pushed further into the fireplace for a liner hook up. That's my 2 cents.. let us know what you end up doing.
Who makes those?

Status
Not open for further replies.