Newbie buyers to wood stoves check out the wiki section

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

My post are sometimes hard to read. My mind is too many steps ahead of my typing skills. To that I am sorry,
but is is what it is. Over the years from permitting process to installations, I made these observations and put them down to help new buyers. I also developed a primer for buying used stoves . Please read threw these wiki's a for how to go about a good safe installation. A word about price or the contractors you hire, don't assume anything. Get educated, know what is required for a proper safe installation. Post questions here, the best advice on the web.

I must be the dumbest person in the world as everbody knows more than me. They are more experienced and done more installations more than I can imagine. It's like who are you to question me. If this were true, no inspectors would be needed. Don't let price govern people /contractors working on your home. It's your job to interview them. Go with the one you are most confortable with, the one that exibits the most knowledge and skills. I get many jobs to finish up where the ones doing them lack the skills or patience to complete them. Got a call tonight an emergency, please would i finish up the on a remodel job. The original contractor did all the easy task and screwed up the differcult jobs and stairs and moldings. Why are you calling me now? when you could have hired me before. ? Take that thought process when hiring an stove installer. It cost a lot less to get it right the first time. Personally I charge $10 or more an hour to fix others screwups. and for all that know more than me then why does this job require my signature?

Spike said it best, there are times when spending a little more saves you money and agravation. The post that start out which stove is best misses so much more needed info. The better guestion is what stove/insert will fit my location?

Status
Not open for further replies.