Newbie Fireplace Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bczubko

Oct 29, 2008
SE Michigan
I'd appreciate any input on my project. I bought a used Avalon 996 woodburner and plan to install it in my masonry fireplace. I plan to recess it about halfway into the fireplace. I have a number of questions.

First, the particulars:
Mid-60's brick ranch house
Used Avalon 996 Insert
Exhaust port is at an angle from vertical.
Currently don't have a fireplace surround face, but plan to add it later.
Masonry fireplace in 15 x 20 living room
Chimney stack is between the living room and unheated attached garage. The only part that is exposed is the section above the roof.
13" x 13" flue tile x about 11' from smoke shelf to cap
I recently purchased a 6" SS liner kit (without insulation) and am about to install the whole shebang

Now, the questions:
1. The woodburner doesn't have an output damper. There is only one lever on the unit, it's for supply air. The used unit came with a black pipe adapter with a butterfly damper. Should I attach this between the woodburner and the SS liner or just attach the liner directly to the woodburner? (I realize that I would have to fabricate a means to open and close it.)

2. I made a damper plate per the instructions on your site, but haven't installed it yet. (Thanks for that tip.) I recently had a chimney sweep come to clean out the chimney and smoke chamber prior to doing the installation. They said that I shouldn't put the damper plate in. They said that it might cause problems for the chimney or liner having creosote buildup because the liner would be hot and the flue cold. What kind of chimney problems could this cause? Should I be concerned about the liner getting creosote buildup?

3. Do I need to insulate the SS liner? (The clay tiles are 13" x 13" and in good condition.)
The Chimney Sweep said that normally, the liner must be insulated, starting at 6 feet from the woodburner. This would amount to insulating about 5 feet of SS liner. Is it worth it? Do I need to insulate the liner?

4. I've read the word "Kaowool" on the forum for insulation. What is this?

5. A local woodburner dealer said that when they do installations, they just use regular unfaced fiberglass insulation stuffed in the existing damper around the SS liner. Is there any problem with using this type of insulation in the damper opening? How about on top of the damper plate? Do I need to put insulation in the damper if I put it on top of the insert plate?

6. The hearth is about 3/4" higher than the bottom of the fireplace. What can I use under the woodburner inside the fireplace to keep it level with the hearth?

7. Should I install a black pipe angle adapter between the back of the woodburner and the liner or the butterfly damper?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

This is a short chimney, with a cold back (garage side). For these reasons I'd insulated the liner. The stove is going to need all the draft it can get. With this short of a stack a flue damper shouldn't be needed.

Kaowool is a ceramic fiber insulation. The local dealer method is a typical shortcut taken to get stoves installed quickly. The faster they are the more they make. But fiberglass's melting point is too low. Use kaowool, it can be ordered online. To level the stove, first check to see if there aren't levelers already installed on the lower back side of the insert. If not, and it's flat bottomed, maybe use a layer of cement board (Durock or Wonderboard) with a couple strips of 1/8" steel on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.