Newbie Help - Can I even get an insert???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luckystar1968

Sep 29, 2011
central NJ
I have been lurking on this site for about a year now and finally decided to register. There is a wealth of information and it has been very helpful. I thought I was all set to go to my local hearth and home store until I realized one flaw with my fireplace/room set up. If you are looking at my exisitng fireplace I have about 6 feet to the right sidewall but to the left I have bookshelves. The distance from the centerline of my fireplace to the edge of the bookshelf is about 36"-40". If I put in an insert (Jotul 550), is that bookshelf/sidewall distance going to be an issue?

Picture time.

Welcome. Is the bookcase on the same wall as the fireplace face or is it on an adjacent wall. If it is on the same wall, there may be a solution. How far does it project past the fireplace face?

Another flush insert that may work out if the C550 doesn't is the Lopi Declaration. It has closer clearances to the sides.

It looks like, based on the manual, that you would need (c) or about 22" from the center of the fireplace to side trim.

This does not show an entire side wall, though, like your bookshelves which stick out further.

Personally, I would see if I could get the dealer to call Jotul tech support and get an exact opinion on that - hopefully in writing!

so here are some pics and dimensions. Hearth is 16" deep and 12" off the floor. Fireplace is 32 3/4"W x 30 1/4"H x 22 3/4"D. The rear of the fireplace tapers down to 25"W. From the left edge of the opening to the white vertical trim is 15" and then another 2" to the door of the lower bookshelf. this is what you see close to the hearth. From the top of the fireplace opening to the painted white trim below the mantel is 11" and 18" from the fireplace opening to the mantel. My fuel oil is capped at 3.75/gallon from a contract I had last year which I will have to renew in December. I am anticipating it being 3.90 to $4. My fuel cost last year was about $3200, which is was my water heater (brand new unit) and my furnace (7 years old). I got a quote for the Jotul 550 installed with liner, all in at $4900 (not including the $300 tax credit). any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_0525-1.jpg
    DSC_0525-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC_0523-2.jpg
    DSC_0523-2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 273
I'm no expert by any means, but I keep firewood (small splits for starting fires) stacked on my hearth where the insert sits that is closer than those cabinets. I've never given it any thought or ever had any problems.

Can you install a heat shield below the mantel & down the left side between cabinets and insert? Wood's flash point temperature drops after extended exposure to high heat.

Even if it were to be to code, it would be a less than ideal spot. Consider loading the insert... You would need the door to be hinged on the right. Which would mean coming in from the center/left to load.

The hearth distance looks marginal as well, 1 1/2 bricks or so.

And that very cool wood floor would be in jeopardy..

I'm not sure what the specs are but that Lopi flush insert that Stax just installed would look pretty good in there.

Asked earlier, did you take a look at the Lopi Declaration? It requires 9" from the stove side to the nearest combustible.

Attachments

• lopi clear.jpg
    lopi clear.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 189
Looks like the lopi declaration plus might be my ticket, all the clearances work! Thanks begreen...thanks to everyone for the input. I will be pricing tomorrow.

Just a thought.

What are your options if you take out the shelving?

I know, a semi reno. But like I said, just a thought.

luckystar1968 said:
Looks like the lopi declaration plus might be my ticket, all the clearances work! Thanks begreen...thanks to everyone for the input. I will be pricing tomorrow.

What is the distance of your hearth? Nevermind, I need to read!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.