Newbie looking for a new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ridered81

Nov 9, 2022
Eastern Maine
Hey all long time lurker here. So to begin, I’ve been inherited a cottage by my late grandfather in Eastern Maine. It’s roughly 750-800 sq ft with 9ft ceilings in the living room and back bedroom. The cabin is currently sitting on concrete footings and new vinyl windows through except the rear bedroom. There’s no insulation whatsoever currently but will be adding the recommended R value in the spring. Currently, the cottage has a very old Kineo Grand wood stove that needs replacing to modern burning. The living room and back bedroom with 9ft ceilings has ceiling fans to throw heat around so that’s a plus. I’m on the fence on what time of stove I should purchase. The old stove I have now has a little trouble reaching the back bedroom due to the layout so I’m thinking a convection type stove would be ideal. Would it also be beneficial to install a vent in the attic (as seen in the photos) to have the heat from that area flowing into the bedroom? Budget would be under $2000k. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated by this newbie who’s looking to upgrade. Thank you all.

8DB4560E-F2BE-4011-B62C-82D7CA04CD7E.jpeg E43030EB-BF64-4C18-B7F8-F24921CCBA85.jpeg 89BFF1DE-34C3-4CCD-84A3-27E89363770E.jpeg 5A324895-ED9A-4991-8218-CD08E18F2238.jpeg C09D9AB5-9EDF-4BF2-904F-9F436001F13D.jpeg

Looks like a medium sized stove will do the job. In the budget category look at the Drolet Escape 1800 and the True North TN20.

Reactions: Ridered81
Looks like a medium sized stove will do the job. In the budget category look at the Drolet Escape 1800 and the True North TN20.

Yes I’ve been looking at those stoves over the past few days and I must say they look good and are definitely budget friendly. Even better with the tax credit. Would a convection style be better in my situation?

The Escape 1800 is a convective stove. With the blower added it is more convective. Howver, that may not solve the issue of getting heat to the back bedroom. In order to get the heat to convect there, put a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove room. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running. You can try this out with the old Kineo.

The Escape 1800 is a convective stove. With the blower added it is more convective. Howver, that may not solve the issue of getting heat to the back bedroom. In order to get the heat to convect there, put a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove room. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running. You can try this out with the old Kineo.

Once the sun goes down I will give that suggestion a go. Thanks for the replies!

A basic table fan can be used if no box fan is available. The trick is to blow the colder air down low toward the stove room.