Newbie Looking For Advice On Woodstove Installation in Basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ebmazza88

Jul 8, 2018
Rochester, NY
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for having me. I hope you can help a newbie out. I am familiar with woodstoves, but not the installation of the hearths and heat shields.

Behind the drywall, insulation, and carpeting, our basement is cement. Cement floor. Cinder block walls. We want to redo our woodstove setup which is currently not up to code. Would it be in our best interest to remove the drywall and insulation around and behind the stove and put the stove in front of the cinderblocks, build a heat shield in front of the cinder blocks to put the woodstove in front of, or leave the existing drywall and insulation, build a heat shield, and then place the stove? It's currently blocks --> insulation --> drywall --> stove and the only air gap is between the stove and the drywall.

Any advice would be great :)

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for having me. I hope you can help a newbie out. I am familiar with woodstoves, but not the installation of the hearths and heat shields.

Behind the drywall, insulation, and carpeting, our basement is cement. Cement floor. Cinder block walls. We want to redo our woodstove setup which is currently not up to code. Would it be in our best interest to remove the drywall and insulation around and behind the stove and put the stove in front of the cinderblocks, build a heat shield in front of the cinder blocks to put the woodstove in front of, or leave the existing drywall and insulation, build a heat shield, and then place the stove? It's currently blocks --> insulation --> drywall --> stove and the only air gap is between the stove and the drywall.

Any advice would be great :)
What stove is it? What clearances does it need?

For my personal install i was starting from scratch in the basement so i installed steel studs mineral wool insulation the galvanized sheet metal but you could use cement board and tile stone brick whatever. In customers houses i have done a wide variety of things depending on the situation.