Newbie Pellet Stove Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceKreamSandwich

Dec 3, 2016
Canada
Hi:

I recently installed an Ashley 5660 pellet stove with 55 LB Hopper. Overall I guess I'm happy with the stove, it throws out heat on high setting and heats my entire mobile home of about 1000sf. On the lowest setting it still does an OK job out back and a great job in the main areas.

There is however a detail that I didn't anticipate. The stove doesn't have a thermostat and the minimum burn rate is about one 40LB bag per 16 hours on the lowest setting. If the place gets too warm or the temperature outside rises it just keeps burning at that minimum rate. The only way to not waste fuel is to monitor to temperature myself and shut the stove down until my home needs more heat.

Does anyone know of some kind of hack I can try after the warranty expires ?

Hi:

I recently installed an Ashley 5660 pellet stove with 55 LB Hopper. Overall I guess I'm happy with the stove, it throws out heat on high setting and heats my entire mobile home of about 1000sf. On the lowest setting it still does an OK job out back and a great job in the main areas.

There is however a detail that I didn't anticipate. The stove doesn't have a thermostat and the minimum burn rate is about one 40LB bag per 16 hours on the lowest setting. If the place gets too warm or the temperature outside rises it just keeps burning at that minimum rate. The only way to not waste fuel is to monitor to temperature myself and shut the stove down until my home needs more heat.

Does anyone know of some kind of hack I can try after the warranty expires ?

Does this stove not support a remote thermostat? You could do something with relays and a thermostat across the on/off circuit of the stove, you would need a delay built in to allow complete shutdown of the stove before the next call for heat. This would shorten the life of the ignighter and you need to be good with basic logic circuits to do this.

16 hours for a bag of pellets seems high, are you able to adjust the feed rate and air supply of the stove?

I discovered the damper since my post. I closed it down a good bit, and left it on feed rate 1. I just started a fresh bag and I'm keeping track of the time. Unfortunately setting 1 is the lowest feed rate so unless ussc will tell me, or someone here knows how to change the settings in the controller I'm stuck with it.

I believe it does support a thermostat but it doesn't have the ability to auto shutoff and re-ignite. What it will do is kick up the feed rate to get to desired temperature and then drop back to feed rate 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.