Newbie saying hello and installing buck stove model 74ZC with a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckstove

Oct 25, 2010
NC
Hello forum people i'm getting ready to install a model 74ZC into my mobile home double sided fireplace. The manual states A wooden base constructed of plywood or 2" x 4" boards is required in order to get proper clearance above the extended hearth (millboard, rock, stone, etc.). (See Page 16.) Just looking for some advice on this perhaps some of you on here have done this before and can give me a heads up before I get started. My plan is to build a base for the insert to sit on this will of course be behind the trim panel. This in return will raise the insert high enough for me to place a pre made hearth protection or one I build myself slightly under the raised front portion of the insert. Looking for ideas r pictures. Is the durock cement board acceptable material to use in the hearth construction? Or using something like this plus whatever design tile we decide to go with on top 3/4” exterior grade plywood and 1/2” hardi-backer board. Having a professional install double wall pipe and insert just going to do these things myself. But safety is the main thing. Have done a search and came across some good threads on constructing these hearth pads seems like a very helpful forum so far.

Welcome. Pictures would really help here. Before proceeding, contact Buck. Although 3/8" millboard may be suitable for hearth protection or under the pedestal mounted stove, I am not sure it will be adequate heat protection for directly under the stove when used as an insert. If this is the case, I would expect that raising the insert in the space would require construction using entirely non-combustible materials.

Have you considered totally demolishing and removing the fireplace and then installing the stove freestanding?

Actually the fireplace is completely getting removed. Here is a pic of one side have already started disassembling fireplace. This is out of the owners manual (NOTE: No floor protector is needed directly under the Model 51ZC Cabinet, only the hearth protector. (See page 6). But I will still need it raised for this insert for the hearth protection. Having trouble uploading pic will get one up later.
Hopefully this pic will work the otherside looks the same except for a solid white mantel

Attachments

• S7301186.jpg
    S7301186.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 434
Status
Not open for further replies.