Newbie to buy Comfortbilt???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Did he adjust the black knob on the vacuum switch?
Don't know he said he did something with vacuum adjustment. Do you think that's a reason that it would just stop pellets from falling. Like I said, the pellets fall the fire starts and after 5 minutes it just stops dropping pellets..

Behind the left cover at the back. There’s a rubber hose connected to it. If you feel comfortable I’ll tell you how to adjust it. It would be easier if I were on the phone with you.
Actually I did it if I'm looking at the stove it's on the right side. I have the pellet insert so I had to take it out a little. I adjusted it so that now the v symbol came on the display. Now it works good. But another question is should that V be on it even when it's on standby it's not going to hurt anything I guess. I was told that the V should come on after the stove is on? Thanks for your help.

Actually I did it if I'm looking at the stove it's on the right side. I have the pellet insert so I had to take it out a little. I adjusted it so that now the v symbol came on the display. Now it works good. But another question is should that V be on it even when it's on standby it's not going to hurt anything I guess. I was told that the V should come on after the stove is on? Thanks for your help.
I just turned the knob alittle too the left and the V came on.

I'd make sure all the venting and air intake and all that good stuff is up to specs before you adjust the vacuum pressure switch to much. Adjusting the pressure switch could just be hiding a real problem that could cause you real problems or even be dangerous.

I just turned the knob alittle too the left and the V came on.
I didn’t know you had the insert. Start the stove. Once it starts into start up turn the vac knob clockwise until the vac icon goes out. Then turn it slowly counterclockwise until the icon comes back on. At that point give it one more half turn.

I'd make sure all the venting and air intake and all that good stuff is up to specs before you adjust the vacuum pressure switch to much. Adjusting the pressure switch could just be hiding a real problem that could cause you real problems or even be dangerous.
Ok, I just turned it alittleto the left, and it came on. Had it on for about 2 hours now seems to be running great. They are coming with a control board and motherboard and a ribbon cable hopefully they can adjust the switch to where it should be. it seemed like the switch was all the way to the right because I couldn't turn it no more to the right.

You don’t need those new parts.
That's what I'm thinking but I don't think they knew what the problem was. I can tell them now that I got it working but hopefully maybe replace the switch or see what happens
You don’t need those new parts.
yeah it's under warranty still that's why I think there were going to start switching parts. The ribbon cable is definitely sheared a little bit and I'll keep an eye on it to see if this issue happens again. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: MewZiKat
That's what I'm thinking but I don't think they knew what the problem was. I can tell them now that I got it working but hopefully maybe replace the switch or see what happens

yeah it's under warranty still that's why I think there were going to start switching parts. The ribbon cable is definitely sheared a little bit and I'll keep an eye on it to see if this issue happens again. Thanks for your help.
You’re welcome. If it does it again I’d say replace it. I’m surprised they didn’t jump the switch to diagnose it.

I'm starting to wonder if all the comfort bilts have a funneling issue? Also tech was just here, he is offering 3 different parts. Crazy i have had this stove for two months and can't use it. I would have thought by now I would have a new stove.

It's not just comfort built's. pellets hang in the hopper on all pellet stoves. if they made the hopper angles steeper you would get even less in them.

You’re welcome. If it does it again I’d say replace it. I’m surprised they didn’t jump the switch to diagnose it.
I woke up this morning and it's doing it again I talked to comfortbilt late yesterday and they told me it sounds like one of them switches on the left hand side. there's two switches I moved the two wires to the other switch and it works fine now. I'm assuming the one switch is bad but we'll see by tomorrow. They are two dime shaped switches.

I woke up this morning and it's doing it again I talked to comfortbilt late yesterday and they told me it sounds like one of them switches on the left hand side. there's two switches I moved the two wires to the other switch and it works fine now. I'm assuming the one switch is bad but we'll see by tomorrow. They are two dime shaped switches.
Update now it happened again. I adjusted knob got the V to come back on now it won't even lite. There's so many issues with this thing. they said they're coming to replace the ribbon cable on Monday I highly doubt that's the problem.

Update now it happened again. I adjusted knob got the V to come back on now it won't even lite. There's so many issues with this thing. they said they're coming to replace the ribbon cable on Monday I highly doubt that's the problem.
They had you switch the wires to the other proof of fire switch. Go ahead and put those back on the one it was on. Are you able to make a jumper wire? If you can, take the two wires off the vacuum switch and jump them together. If you have to keep adjusting it the switch is faulty.

They had you switch the wires to the other proof of fire switch. Go ahead and put those back on the one it was on. Are you able to make a jumper wire? If you can, take the two wires off the vacuum switch and jump them together. If you have to keep adjusting it the switch is faulty.
Thanks but I'm done, gonna let them handle it tomorrow.

Are these stoves simple enough to install? I'm not doing it myself but I have a general contractor doing a whole-house remodel now and plan to have him install it. Is it necessary to have the stove professionally installed?

Are these stoves simple enough to install? I'm not doing it myself but I have a general contractor doing a whole-house remodel now and plan to have him install it. Is it necessary to have the stove professionally installed?
Actually I had it professionally installed only due to the pipework up the chimney. But after sliding it in and out I can tell you it's a sealed unit and it looks like all you have to do is supply power and run a pipe up the chimney and connect it.

Actually I had it professionally installed only due to the pipework up the chimney. But after sliding it in and out I can tell you it's a sealed unit and it looks like all you have to do is supply power and run a pipe up the chimney and connect it.
They sent me a vacuum switch I replaced it and it took care of the issue. Now I just need it to run more than 3 hours because of the funneling issue.

So glad I found this thread! Please pardon my high-jacking of it.

@JRemington - You sound like you know these units well. I'm brand new to pellet stoves too and I'm struggling with my Comfortbilt.

Three weeks ago I installed our new Comfortbilt HP22i-SS and I am having similar issues. I say similar because the stove lights, burns for an indeterminate amount of time (sometimes 15 mins, sometimes 3 hours), feeds pellets erraticallly, and then shuts down. The first two weeks with the stove everything was fine, but the last week or so have been problematic. I have emptied the hopper and vacuumed it out, I have watched the auger move with the hopper empty, cylcled the auger with the hopper empty to clear the auger of any pellets, and verified the light on the control panel comes on when the auger cycles. I have cleaned the ash out of the stove and the burn pot multiple times. I haven't checked the ash ports in the side panels yet. I understand the pellets not falling down to the auger in the hopper and know that this is not the problem (I just check on the hopper and add pellets or push the pile around so it feeds correctly). I don't think I have a bad vacuum switch. I don't think the auger is jammed.

Is it bad pellets that are breaking up and causing the feed problems? After looking around it seems like the pellets I have (Michigan Wood Fuels Premium Wood Pellets) are not the greatest, but I didn't think I would be having issues after only 170 hours of run time? Any thoughts? Anyone?

@JRemington - You sound like you know these units well. I'm brand new to pellet stoves too and I'm struggling with my Comfortbilt.

Three weeks ago I installed our new Comfortbilt HP22i-SS and I am having similar issues. I say similar because the stove lights, burns for an indeterminate amount of time (sometimes 15 mins, sometimes 3 hours), feeds pellets erraticallly, and then shuts down. The first two weeks with the stove everything was fine, but the last week or so have been problematic. I have emptied the hopper and vacuumed it out, I have watched the auger move with the hopper empty, cylcled the auger with the hopper empty to clear the auger of any pellets, and verified the light on the control panel comes on when the auger cycles. I have cleaned the ash out of the stove and the burn pot multiple times. I haven't checked the ash ports in the side panels yet. I understand the pellets not falling down to the auger in the hopper and know that this is not the problem (I just check on the hopper and add pellets or push the pile around so it feeds correctly). I don't think I have a bad vacuum switch. I don't think the auger is jammed.

Is it bad pellets that are breaking up and causing the feed problems? After looking around it seems like the pellets I have (Michigan Wood Fuels Premium Wood Pellets) are not the greatest, but I didn't think I would be having issues after only 170 hours of run time? Any thoughts? Anyone?
Try a different pellet first, I really doubt it it's the pellets. Like I said I had a problem when it would light and then when the exhaust blower came on the V for vacuum went off. Make sure you have the letter V on the display at all times. I replaced the vacuum switch and now it's fine. You can also adjust the knob on the vacuum switch.

The first thing I’m doing if I’m you is to bypass the vacuum switch. There seem to be many issues with their sensitivity. Did you buy the stove new?

The first thing I’m doing if I’m you is to bypass the vacuum switch. There seem to be many issues with their sensitivity. Did you buy the stove new?
Yes the stove is brand new. In looking for answers it is apparent the control panel is different from the one in the manual that came with the stove. I have an insert also, but I don’t have a V on the display like Bobgolf when the vacuum is on. There is a whole separate screen that shows all that info. That screen shows that the vacuum switch is on and the auger does rotate, it just seems like the pellets just don’t feed correctly. I just cleaned the stove out, including the hopper. I bought a different brand of pellets but haven’t loaded them or started the stove yet, mostly out of frustration...

By daughter board do you mean the control panel in the surround? If so it was definitely not a coaxial cable. I did buy direct from Comfortbilt.