Newbie to site !st post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stihltheone

Nov 21, 2009
Wyoming
Hello all. Great to be here. I have been a long time AS forum member, thought I would give this a shot! This seems to be a great site. I run 2 wood stoves 24/7 here, both are Blaze King Kings. Love to cut wood!!

Welcome aboard! WOW 2 BKK's How many Sq Ft are you heating. What ever it is I'll bet your toasty.

I have one in my 2200 sf house and 1 in my 2000 sf detail shop. They heat both quite well. I do have a bit of a build up problem in the house stove, I have to run it so low that she requires "regular" cleanings. Both of them are non cats. I replaced my Ashling Waterford in the house with a BKK, still getting used to that. I have had the one in my shop for years and years.

Welcome to the forum. I'm betting you go through quite a bit of wood every winter in those stoves. Are you burning cottonwood?

Cottonwood and pine are the main two woods. A bit of russian olive and some town trees every now and again. I go through about 12 cords a year, it feels like more sometimes.

Welcome,
12 cords a year is a lot of work. I to enjoy cutting and splitting wood.

stihltheone said:
Cottonwood and pine are the main two woods. A bit of russian olive and some town trees every now and again. I go through about 12 cords a year, it feels like more sometimes.

I figured the cottonwood and pine but not the russian olive. That stuff is spreading like wildfire around here. There doesn't seem to be many trees but most are still in the bush state.

12 cords per year is a goodly amount for sure. That should keep you out of trouble. lol

Welcome. And you receive the 2009 member ID of the year award. Love it!

I remember that song quite well...but I never realized they were singing about chainsaws. Welcome to the forums from another softwood burner (maybe ~7 cords/yr in two stoves, depending of course on the winter). Rick

Welcome. you will find this forum to be very helpful. Lots of knowledgeable people where and most important, willing to share that knowledge.

Another windy state burner! Pretty soon we'll have to start a forum just for "Non-easterners that burn pine and like it".

moosetrek said:
Another windy state burner! Pretty soon we'll have to start a forum just for "Non-easterners that burn pine and like it".

The wind does not blow here!!!! Ya hoo If it does it ususally has a reason!!!

Backwoods Savage said:
stihltheone said:

I figured the cottonwood and pine but not the russian olive. That stuff is spreading like wildfire around here. There doesn't seem to be many trees but most are still in the bush state.

12 cords per year is a goodly amount for sure. That should keep you out of trouble. lol

The russian olive is a major problem here, the state is actually paying homeowners, ranchers, etc to get rid of it. Lots of trees biting the big one, They will never be gone though. It is really great wood, once it is in the stack, I call it blood wood, because you will shed some cutting, splitting and stacking the stuff. It burns OMG hot and long though. I have a candidate for the largest one that I have seen in my pasture, it has 4 arms that measure 18"dbh, the common stump is 42" and the treee is about 40' tall.

BrotherBart said:
Welcome. And you receive the 2009 member ID of the year award. Love it!
Hey thanks, I have gone by that for a long time. Kinda funny, we run a modified 3 engine pulling tractor called Black Bart, Brother Bart...

Status
Not open for further replies.