Newbie w/ some questions on 3 wood inserts and other wood burning basics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlightning

Burning Hunk
Feb 28, 2011
Southeast PA
Hello all! I am interested in purchasing a new wood insert fireplace within the next year and am having a problem making a decision. First off Ill give my fireplace basic dimensions: fireplace opening - 42" wide, at rear of fireplace - 26" wide, fireplace opening - 23" high, fireplace depth - 17.5". I have a new construction house that is about 4 years old and is about 2300 square foot of interior space. I have been looking at the Regency CI1250 or 200, Vermont Castings Montpelier, and Jotul C 350 Winterport. I chose all flat front stoves because there is a 5" raised space between the floor and fireplace and I dont want to have to spend more $ on having the installer add a piece of metal shroud around the bottom of the fireplaces that would hang out of the fireplace. I am leaning towards the regency or jotul because of the poor reviews on the montpelier. All of the stoves I am looking at would not even come close to heating my entire house so I am wondering if it is worth the bother of getting an Insert? I have access to plenty of free wood and have all the tools I need to cut the wood up and plenty of space to store the wood. Is there a better way/stove to heat my house w/ wood using the existing fireplace chimney? I figure I would save maybe 50% - 70% max on heating costs w/ the inserts I am currently looking at...does that sound about correct? How safe is it to run the fireplace while not being home? How much wood would I need to run one of the small fireplace inserts I am looking at? Thanks for all the help....I need it!

jlightning said:
Hello all! I am interested in purchasing a new wood insert fireplace within the next year and am having a problem making a decision. First off Ill give my fireplace basic dimensions: fireplace opening - 42" wide, at rear of fireplace - 26" wide, fireplace opening - 23" high, fireplace depth - 17.5". I have a new construction house that is about 4 years old and is about 2300 square foot of interior space. I have been looking at the Regency CI1250 or 200, Vermont Castings Montpelier, and Jotul C 350 Winterport. I chose all flat front stoves because there is a 5" raised space between the floor and fireplace and I dont want to have to spend more $ on having the installer add a piece of metal shroud around the bottom of the fireplaces that would hang out of the fireplace. I am leaning towards the regency or jotul because of the poor reviews on the montpelier. All of the stoves I am looking at would not even come close to heating my entire house so I am wondering if it is worth the bother of getting an Insert? I have access to plenty of free wood and have all the tools I need to cut the wood up and plenty of space to store the wood. Is there a better way/stove to heat my house w/ wood using the existing fireplace chimney? I figure I would save maybe 50% - 70% max on heating costs w/ the inserts I am currently looking at...does that sound about correct? How safe is it to run the fireplace while not being home? How much wood would I need to run one of the small fireplace inserts I am looking at? Thanks for all the help....I need it!

New construction should mean open floor plan. I would go larger with 2,300 square feet and go with something like the Lopi Declaration.
http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/wood_inserts.aspx

Or you could go with something like the Jøtul C 550:
http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-550-Rockland/

Both are flat front but larger than the stoves you listed. The larger stove will heat more of your home (if the floor plan is open) and the reload times will be longer which is important for overnight burns and general convenience as winter goes on.

There are definitely other solutions for the raised hearth. If you really need a bigger heater, I would definitely go for one and do what is necessary to get the most performance and pleasure out of it. This is a serious investment and it should be satisfying when done.

Can you post some pictures of the current fireplace? That will help us see what you have and make more specific suggestions for solutions.

And welcome to the Forum!

The problem w/ both those stoves is that they are too big for the fireplace opening that I currently have. I seem to be limited to what fits in my current fireplace which is not that big unless anyone has any other ideas?

jlightning said:
The problem w/ both those stoves is that they are too big for the fireplace opening that I currently have. I seem to be limited to what fits in my current fireplace which is not that big unless anyone has any other ideas?

Yeah, I just noticed the shallow depth. As BeGreen mentioned, post some pics of the fireplace.

Here are some pics of my fireplace

Attachments

• DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 520
  • DSC00363.jpg
    DSC00363.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC00365.jpg
    DSC00365.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 482
jlightning said:
Here are some pics of my fireplace

that's a zero-clearance/pre-fab fireplace, so you'll need to make sure what ever insert you choose is Zero-Clearance approved.

By the dimensions I was thinking ZC fireplace. I lightened a couple of them up to make it easier to see what you've got.

Pacific Energy Super Insert requires 18 inches depth. I don't know if it could be installed sticking out a half inch, but it can be installed in a ZC fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.