Newbie with a question about woodstove install in basement (is this possible)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisFromME

Jan 26, 2011
Southern maine
Hey guys,

I have a question. Is it possible to install a wood stove in a basement sharing a flue with a fireplace on the first floor? I have a two flue chimney with an oil burner on the second flue. Does the fireplace flue go all the way to the basement? There is a cleanout obviously downstairs for the fireplace. I would much rather install a wood burning fireplace instead of creating another zone for my furnace.

I don't really want to close off the fireplace on the first floor if possible. I am new to this and I will obviously consult with a professional but I don't feel like wasting my time if this isn't even an option.

Thanks!

Welcome Chris. Maine, if I recall, has a unique ruling for this. Check with your local code office. It may be able share the flue with the oil burner, but I don't believe it can share the flue with the fireplace. That doesn't guarantee good performance and there are some serious caveats. My concern is about things like what happens if the wood stove plugs up the cap or flue, then the oil burner fires in the middle of the night? Or what happens to draft when it is getting diluted by air pulled from the oil burner? But do check to get the actual facts and let us know.

ChrisFromME said:
Hey guys,

I have a question. Is it possible to install a wood stove in a basement sharing a flue with a fireplace on the first floor? As always I would recommend you check with your local authority having jurisdiction which may be a Fire Inspector, Fire Department official or Code Enforcement Officer . . . but generally we tend to not permit this . . . at least here in Bangor. I have a two flue chimney with an oil burner on the second flue. Does the fireplace flue go all the way to the basement? Only way to tell would be to see it in person. I suspect the flue for the fireplace would go all the way to the basement . . . but not necessarily. There is a cleanout obviously downstairs for the fireplace. I would much rather install a wood burning fireplace instead of creating another zone for my furnace.

I don't really want to close off the fireplace on the first floor if possible. I am new to this and I will obviously consult with a professional but I don't feel like wasting my time if this isn't even an option. As BeGreen mentioned Maine does permit you to hook up a wood-burning appliance to the same flue as your gas or oil burning appliance . . . the kicker here though is you still need to get permission from the local authority having jurisdiction AND your insurance company. Some places would allow this . . . some would not.

There are a couple of options should you decide you do not want to hook up to an existing flue that I might suggest you investigate . . . going with a Class A (commonly called by one brand name -- Metalbestos -- here in Maine) chimney which you could go outside and then up or directly through the ceiling.

Another option if you don't mind temporarily "losing" your fireplace is to go with either a fireplace insert or a hearth-mounted woodstove . . . in fact, truthfully, this is the route I would go with since I am a big fan of putting the woodstove where you spend the majority of your time as the new stoves not only deliver a great amount of heat (and work best when you are in the area), but they are a delight for the senses (view of the fire, smell of potpourri simmering on the stove top and the sound of a crackling fire.) If you are worried about resale . . . doing either an insert or hearth mount can be done in many cases without destroying the fireplace or the look of the fireplace . . . it would mean of course that you will not have an actual fireplace . . . but the flipside is you can have a fire where the fireplace is and actually get some good heat from it.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.