Newbie with some questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddubs77

Nov 1, 2010
Bristol, CT
I just bought my first pellet stove insert. I grabbed a Breckwell P23i insert and I have a few questions. I had to uninstall the stove when I went to get it and I had a few issues. First I could not for the life of me disconnect the adapter from the rear exhaust pipe on the actual unit. I had to grab a hacksaw and cut the pipe right off. The previous owner had an adapter to a 90 degree elbow to a 3" flex up thru the blanking plate. After I cut the pipe so we could remove the insert I noticed that the flex pipe was soooo rediculously filthy. I mean you could barely fit a pencil through! Should I hook up a clean out T? I do have the manual and it does say I can just hook the 3" flex right up to the back of the stove and run it up through the blanking plate but I want to be able to get in there and clean the pipe. Also, do I need to remove the damper? Can I get the flashing material at home depot to use for the blanking plate? Sorry for the ?'s but I am new to this! Thanks

Dubs, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the "new" insert.

I don't want to answer about the plates in the fireplace....members w/ inserts will know more about that than me, but I do recommend that you add the clean-out T on the back of the unit.

And also, since you saw how dirty the exhaust was, be prepared to tear the stove apart to clean it COMPLETELY, since it's obvious the previous owner didn't take very good care of it.

Just curious....why were they selling it?

When you DO finally get installed, we'd love to see pics....

Ddubs77,

Like imacman said, be sure to do a thorough cleaning of the stove.

Depending on your fireplace damper, you should not have to remove it. The flex liner should fit through and hold the damper wide open.

The area between the flex liner and damper can be closed off with insulation, but a proper chimney cap, designed to go with the liner, should be installed.

How tall is your chimney? Should you use 3" or 4" liner material??

Hopefully, those who have done many installs will chime in.

Don't forget the pictures . . . . .

Good luck,

Ranger

Ddubs77...... Welcome to the forum.

I am sure the you will find what your looking for in here.

(if not a few laughs along the way)

Ddubs77…... Welcome to the forum.

I am a little north of you. Maybe see you at BT Ent. some day!

Inserts are usually tight to work on(so you found out) and a tee helps in the vent cleaning. If there is room add a 45º on top of the tee. This twists the tee sideways and allows some access. But most of the time you pull the inserts out to do the thorough cleanings anyway. I do like the tee on the stove just in case ash falls down the pipe. It will fall to the bottom of the tee and not straight into the stove. How tall is your chimney? If its too tall you might need to go to 4" pipe with the added tee.

On the damper its best to take it out. Some only cap the top of the chimney and some make a plate for the bottom as well. I have seen it work both ways. Might want to check with the local code(town hall). But usually just follow the manual. For the top plate(depending on the size of the flue) I used this from the same company I bought the vent pipe. I sealed and screwed to the chimney. We didn't use an inner plate.

Attachments

• roo flashing.jpg
    roo flashing.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 204
Thanks for the responses guys! The stove is going on the main level. The chimney cant be more than 15 ft or so from the unit to the top. I went out to home cheapo today and they only had a 3" T without the clean out. The whole area was wiped out clean so I will shop around. Tis the season! Also, any of you guys use the Freedom pellets? They are on sale for 196 a skid now down from 279. Thanks again guys

Ddubs77 said:
.....I went out to home cheapo today and they only had a 3" T without the clean out. The whole area was wiped out clean so I will shop around........
www.kinsmanstoves.com

Give Eric a call at the Brookfield store....he will give discount to hearth.com members, and if he has the stuff you want in stock, ships out fast. VERY nice guy to work with.

imacman said:
Ddubs77 said:
.....I went out to home cheapo today and they only had a 3" T without the clean out. The whole area was wiped out clean so I will shop around........
www.kinsmanstoves.com

Give Eric a call at the Brookfield store....he will give discount to hearth.com members, and if he has the stuff you want in stock, ships out fast. VERY nice guy to work with.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.