Newby looking for wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnin to burn

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2008
Southeastern, Pa
Hi All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now getting to know the place and I must say it is an awesome site. I have some wood I was told was swamp (red) maple but it seems more like a soft wood. I truly don't have a clue. It burns real fast, is extremely light, (almost like balsa wood), and pops and sparks for a while when first put in the stove.
I don't have a link for the pics but I did upload them. There are 3 different splits from the same hunk of wood.

Thanks

Attachments

• web1.JPG
    web1.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 423
  • web2.JPG
    web2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 417
  • web3.JPG
    web3.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 430
Tulip Poplar

Looks like Crack Willow to me : )

Sweetgum!

Do spikey balls fall from it?

FWIW, your wood looks and behaves very much like a good deal of the c/d/s wood I have, but as far as my supplier (not a dealer, a local guy who knows his trees) told me, tulip poplar was not in the mix. He did include a lot of what we call "soft maple," which around here basically means red maple, and as far as I can tell, there's nothing else in my supply that could be it except for the stuff that looks like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.