Next winter, switching to 100% Hardwood pellets. Need brands readily available in Vermont.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
My Enviro M55 is running strong in its 10 year and for the past 9 years have been running Vermont Softwood Pellets exclusively. I have no complaints, very low ash and mega heat, sometimes too much...and I have almost never run over fan speed 3 and feed trim on 1. Pros: I can get softwood Bulk deliverys from 2 suppliers. Cons, none! In year one, I threw everything I could get into the stove, whatever I could find. Being a newbie, it was fun but honestly I don’t remember anything about how hardwood or mixed ran, too long ago!
So, the halibit! I’m guessing I would not see a huge difference in any ratio of a mix, so if available, I would go with 100% Hardwood, if any is even available in Vermont? I have enough supply now to get through Oct and Nov of next winter so I should have plenty of time now and then to go foraging.
Pros? Outweighed by the Cons...After being cooped up for a year/COVID, and restricting my local driving to Dunkin/Mickey D’s drive-thru plus lots of Ace Curbside pickup, I will love driving to the end of the earth in search of pellets. Hopefully I can get delivery, but then I have to hand carry down to the basement. I’ll be 72 but feel like 22. Built like , (not really) I’ll just take it slow...
Appreciate all recommendations. TIA! Bill

I'm curious to see the following replies here. I'm not too far from Bill, north of the border near Montreal. Here hardwood pellets are more expensive than softwood, sometimes by quite a bit. Most of what I've read says they deliver less heat with more ash, and that they're a good fuel for shoulder seasons.

This is my first winter with my Enerzone pellet stove, and I've burned a few brands of softwood pellets without problems, but I haven' tried any hardwoods. They would have to be really amazing for justify the 1-2$ per bag difference in price that they sell for here.

Thanks in advance for all the members sharing their experience and knowledge.

Reactions: bostonfan49
In the 20 years, I have burnt pellets both soft and hardwood
the pellet of choice for me is Cubix very little ash .3% very very hot 9000 btu
made from the trimmings of a hardwood flooring company in Quebec

Cubic or Lacrete. Both are flooring manufacturers.

I thought La Cretes were softies.? Cubex are great HW's.

My Enviro M55 is running strong in its 10 year and for the past 9 years have been running Vermont Softwood Pellets exclusively. I have no complaints, very low ash and mega heat, sometimes too much...and I have almost never run over fan speed 3 and feed trim on 1. Pros: I can get softwood Bulk deliverys from 2 suppliers. Cons, none! In year one, I threw everything I could get into the stove, whatever I could find. Being a newbie, it was fun but honestly I don’t remember anything about how hardwood or mixed ran, too long ago!
So, the halibit! I’m guessing I would not see a huge difference in any ratio of a mix, so if available, I would go with 100% Hardwood, if any is even available in Vermont? I have enough supply now to get through Oct and Nov of next winter so I should have plenty of time now and then to go foraging.
Pros? Outweighed by the Cons...After being cooped up for a year/COVID, and restricting my local driving to Dunkin/Mickey D’s drive-thru plus lots of Ace Curbside pickup, I will love driving to the end of the earth in search of pellets. Hopefully I can get delivery, but then I have to hand carry down to the basement. I’ll be 72 but feel like 22. Built like , (not really) I’ll just take it slow...
Appreciate all recommendations. TIA! Bill

Bill,

I feel like I'm missing something here. Why are you intent on switching to hardwoods? Hardwoods produce more ash and yield less heat per pound in the process. The only upside I can see is that they may well be enough cheaper than softwood to justify the difference.

Thanks for playing,

Hugh

iv burned both hardwood and softwood.. my preference is softwood burns hotter and cleaner, with hardwood i have to constantly clean the burnpot and it always has a hard buildup with hardwood.. heatoutput is about the same

Cubic or Lacrete. Both are flooring manufacturers.

I thought La Cretes were softies.? Cubex are great HW's.

LaCrete Pellets are softwood. LaCrete sawmills is not a flooring company, they are a sawmill and produce softwood lumber. These pellets are made about 5.5hrs north of me. We have a lot of high quality pellets made out here, Spruce Pointe being another made locally.

Thanks all! You folks are probably right. I am spoiled with bulk fed, but only have one choice ie the Vermont Softies. I guess I will definitely get a couple of bags of some hardwood and give it a go...I should see just how much more ash I get, cause I’m not getting much now at all. The only negative with the M55 is the lack of a real ash draw. I have a 1/2" ash tray. Hardwoods might cause more frequent emptying!
Thanks all! Stay safe, wear a mask and hope you all get shots soon! Bill

I don't understand. If softwood pellets are readily available in your area, and you've had a good experience with them, why switch?

All the pellets I've seen for sale locally are hardwood.

I get Barefoot Pellets that come from a furniture factory about an hour's drive from here. They're well known and sought after because of their good quality and the "local" aspect.

I don't understand. If softwood pellets are readily available in your area, and you've had a good experience with them, why switch?

All the pellets I've seen for sale locally are hardwood.

I get Barefoot Pellets that come from a furniture factory about an hour's drive from here. They're well known and sought after because of their good quality and the "local" aspect.
Your right! Why switch? I think folks have knocked some sense in me....not hard to do

Nothing wrong with trying different pellets. Last year after my usual spot switched brands and they were nothing but garbage i went out and tried about 2-4 bags of each of the 5-6 different brands available in my area and with the results i now use less pellets than previous years. Now i have a good hot burning pellet and if they are not available i know the next brand to use that will give similar results. Also know what to stay totally away from as a few of the ones i tried did not last a day before i used the pellets for cat litter as that was all they were good for...
Needless to say my usual spot no longer gets my business as they are $3 more per bag and the worst pellet

My mistake with the LaCretes. Still a good pellet!

As to trying different pellets, after you married your wife/met your SO did you feel the need to "try" other women?

When I was trying to figure out where to buy pellets from for the first time, I bought several bags of several different brands. Then I ran them each for a couple days or so and compared ash buildup and stuff like that.

It wouldn't hurt to do that, maybe you'll find something that's even better than what you were buying.

I just didn't understand your initial post saying you were happy with what you had, but you're switching anyway.

bostonfan49, writing to you from Chittenden County. Like you, I am burning Vermonts but only because I realized last year how GOOD they are. I'm paying a premium for them via the Energy Coop and am curious what kind of discount you're getting through Bournes via bulk. I will have to call them.

I like Vermonts are the superior pellet in their area. High heat and low ash; the only possible con is cost. I don't think you're going to find a better pellet in our area. Stay warm!

bostonfan49, writing to you from Chittenden County. Like you, I am burning Vermonts but only because I realized last year how GOOD they are. I'm paying a premium for them via the Energy Coop and am curious what kind of discount you're getting through Bournes via bulk. I will have to call them.

I like Vermonts are the superior pellet in their area. High heat and low ash; the only possible con is cost. I don't think you're going to find a better pellet in our area. Stay warm!
Hi Maple Hill! I definitely agree they are great and very low ash! I used to get Vermont (Bags) years ago from the Coop Colchester office. My first 3+ years bulk were with Vermont Renewable Fuels in Southern Vermont, but Bournes out of Barre is a lot closer. Bulk should be cheaper, Fill the truck up once, service up to 6 or more customers, but they seem to charge the same. I’m jealous that you have a few good Harman dealers up here. My only stove shop no longer carries or services Enviro pellet stoves, and the owners of the nice little pellet stove shop in Colchester retired last year. I’m going to have to check with Brickliners (Excellent company) and see if they ever work on Enviro stoves. Stay warm yourself!

Last Winter was my first with my Harman P46, I got 2 tons of LG & 2 tons of the Vermonts from Colchester Coop- I've got a little over a pallet of LG and a little under a half ton of VT's going into this season. Debating if I should grab a pallet of the Vermonts from Coop or try something else for this season, does anyone in VT carry either Cubex or Lacrete's? Those are the ones I'd most like to try, and to compare price, otherwise probably just pick up the one ton of Vermonts burned great last season.

Look like the closest to you is
If I got your area right
Adirondack Hardware
25.7 mi

1698 Front StreetKeeseville NY 12944United States

For Cubix
They are just about all I use

We burned some Greene Team hardwoods for a couple seasons. Great heat but as others have said more frequent burnpot scraping is needed or the resulting speed bumps are a real pain to remove. Been using Vermonts and Wood & Sons and they give out great heat and low ash'

Sam

Reactions: bogieb
Softwoods get along better with my 2008 Harman auger. I sometimes can here the Auger swearing :mad: at me for buying hardwoods. When the Auger makes that loud pop sound from a hardwood pellet its saying that word with letter F. Okay maybe I have a problem with my pellet stove talking to me.