NG console heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
My mom just moved into a single level 1 bd 800 sq ft house. Has an existing NG Cozy console heater from 1994 and it’s days are numbered. Looks like a 4” exhaust up through the roof, ambient air intake. In the center of the house.

She wants to have it replaced it this summer and is looking at different units. She doesn’t want the fireplace view. It will be full time heat so she would like the ability to hook up a wall thermostat. She was looking at Cozy, Williams, and Empire. Are any of them better than other as far as reliability and efficiency? Other brands out there any better?

What I am confused about is the efficiency. One would think the newer units would be more efficient. The existing unit says 50000 input BTU and 39400 output BTU, which to me is 79% efficient. But the numbers I am seeing for the new units are much less. 34500 output BTU for 50000 input BTU for the Williams. Cozy literature says 65-66%, Empire similar. Am I missing something?

Hello- if you are replacing an older b-vent non aesthetic flame for a new one, we have used the Empire RH heaters to do so. Very good heaters, blue flame technology with fans and a thermostat. Efficiency wise, typically 75% sounds right. The older units may have claimed a certain percentage, but the MFR was probably being liberal with their numbers... Good luck.

Reactions: tlc1976